Preview 2022 Rd 11 Carlton vs Collingwood Sunday May 29 3:20PM AEST @MCG - Final Team Post #1018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Murphy only went back in when Cripps was injured.
We also lost Charlie after 2 games (3 & 7 goals). We had the talent, and massively underperformed to go 1-10 in the first half of the season.

Bolton was pumping midfield time into Dow, O’Brien, Fisher (probably paying off in spades now) but at the time they (and the team) we’re getting monstered. Teague tweaked it the other way and won a coaching contract because of it.

There was probably a balance between the two approaches - but here we are in 2022 with 8 wins and 2 losses.

As “Aslan” once said “To know what would have happened….. Nobody is ever told that.” ;)

yep chase wins at the expense of player development. Had to do it as we needed some wins but went too far to the detriment of player development.

The players weren't developing, they were getting smashed. Plus, it was part of our plan to start winning more games in 19. I think we won one or two before the bye in 19.

Bolton was pumping midfield time into Dow, O’Brien, Fisher (probably paying off in spades now) but at the time they (and the team) we’re getting monstered. Teague tweaked it the other way and won a coaching contract because of it.

There was probably a balance between the two approaches - but here we are in 2022 with 8 wins and 2 losses.

As “Aslan” once said “To know what would have happened….. Nobody is ever told that.” ;)
The 'balance' was in those caretaker games.
There wasn't much development happening when we were getting slaughtered in the centre by Norf.

The problem was next year(s). He had NFI how to coach.

I don't know why we want to even go back to talking about 19,20,21. The team we have out on the field is very different in make up and maturity levels as footballers. The off field people are at a level above what we had as well.

This is a totally different Carlton in every way, just sit back and enjoy the ride from here.

Love that Fisher continues to go under the radar

At his height, Fisher goes under most things...

Yeah, yeah. I know. People in glass houses shouldn't throw black kettles...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know why we want to even go back to talking about 19,20,21. The team we have out on the field is very different in make up and maturity levels as footballers. The off field people are at a level above what we had as well.

This is a totally different Carlton in every way, just sit back and enjoy the ride from here.

It's relevant, because we still have the fadeout that cost teague his job

It's relevant, because we still have the fadeout that cost teague his job
I would think that a total lack of system cost Teaguey his job amongst other things. Nothing that I've seen this year reminds me of the past. We've added some class players since 2019, others have matured and are playing better as a result and we have a better coaching group.

Comparing the club to those years is a pointless exercise. Whoever expected that we should have been playing at the level back then as we are now really was expecting far too much. Even last year, we didn't have the team to be performing like this consistently.

Can't agree with this.
No problem, I've stated my belief. We don't need to agree on everything, time to move on. I'm more focused on 2022 and beyond.

Pretty good chat with Bucks and Gerard on SEN this morning, most of it was around Carlton v Collingwood, where both sides are at and the rivalry. Worth a listen in the build up.

Interesting responses they got that most of the fans found the rivalry still pretty real.
I guess it’s a generational thing (90s kid) - I don’t have any love for Collingwood but I also don’t irrationally despise them like I do *. The only player of theirs I really dislike is De Goey.

People wanting O'brien out, I don't know exactly but I reckon we score from almost half his kicks into the 50. He is lethal

Yep, I don’t believe we use him anywhere near enough.

Case in point, Crippa not hand balling to him on his left peg and then caught holding the ball

I thinks it’s about a third though which is top 3 in the comp

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If Martin is good to go, surely he comes in. You don’t leave quality on the sideline.

I’m also in favor of an aggressive selection philosophy (see Motlop for example). Against Sydney we had (I think) 9 players under 22yrs and under 50 games. Amazing effort but also reckon there’s a place for a sensible & strategic ‘managed’ approach to selection for the long campaign ahead.

If Martin is good to go, surely he comes in. You don’t leave quality on the sideline.

I’m also in favor of an aggressive selection philosophy (see Motlop for example). Against Sydney we had (I think) 9 players under 22yrs and under 50 games. Amazing effort but also reckon there’s a place for a sensible & strategic ‘managed’ approach to selection for the long campaign ahead.

Agreed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back