Autopsy 2022 Rd 15 Blues show top 4 credentials

Who played well for the Blues in Round 15 vs the Dockers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Coaches' Votes

10 - Sam Walsh (CARL)
5 - Zac Fisher (CARL)
4 - Tom De Koning (CARL)
4 - Sam Docherty (CARL)
3 - George Hewett (CARL)
2 - Matthew Kennedy (CARL)
2 - Adam Saad (CARL)

Beating a top 4 contender without Cripps, McKay, or Weitering in our best half a dozen.

12 months ago we couldn’t win without those three playing out of their skins.

Crazy.

I am actually more encouraged by this performance from Jesse Motlop than any of his previous games. Why? Because in this performance he demonstrated unselfishness and a team first ethic.

He's shown that he's got AFL speeds, is stronger overhead than he looks, has a bit of sneaky goalsense about him, but to this point he's not shown that kind of workrate defensively and hasn't attacked the ball carrier like that. He worked harder in defense chasing a man than he did when we had the ball, and he still wanted the ball.

I'd almost leave him in anyway if Owies is fit. Almost.
Good to hear. Sounds like an improvement on his last game.

Last time he played he took a few selfish pot shots at goal. Bit of instinct as a small forward is good but in some cases he should have passed.

Also He wasn’t chasing.

Good to hear. Sounds like an improvement on his last game.

Last time he played he took a few selfish pot shots at goal. Bit of instinct as a small forward is good but in some cases he should have passed.

Also He wasn’t chasing.
This week it was very much like he was told he'd be retained or not on the strength of his tackling. He was still there for the balldrop - and there was a situation inside forward 50 IIRC, in which he was overlooked and someone kicked a point - but he worked so much harder to lay a tackle and to pressure than in previous weeks.

Brilliant.

A few things to note about that goal:

1. Cottrell's first option was Walsh running past. He was aware enough to see Walsh would be sold into trouble so cut back inside and created the space for himself.
  2. His handball option was absolutely the right thing, he already knew what he was going to do next. He showed that he has elite running capabilities, these types of players just get better as the game goes on.
  3. Cottrell has now shown us many a time that he can kick the ball well running at full tilt.
  4. Josh Honey actually roved the inital marking contest on the wing and handballed to Cottrell. If you follow Honey from that point onward he too sprints to the next contest and can be seen running alongside Cottrell right up until he kicked the goal, providing another option. I reckon Vossy would've loved that.
Cotter’s punched out a clever quick left handed handball to O’Brien who didn’t change stride on the run to screw through a goal was some very nice work as well…

This is when you know we are a genuine contender, a good system with a best 30-32 not 22.
Whose going to be the poor Rohan Burke type that will not be there on grand final day when we win number 17...?
On the flipside, whose going to be the lucky Scott Howell or Bortolotto type that fills in on the very day we win the flag?

Cotter’s punched out a clever quick left handed handball to O’Brien who didn’t change stride on the run to screw through a goal was some very nice work as well…
That probably my highlight of Cotters day out. That he had the awareness for it and actually did it right so O'Brien did not have to break stride...that was champagne football as they say..

Been thinking about how to beat Melbourne. langdon is seen as a key by most. Would suggest Cotts gets first crack with a fair degree of confidence
Absolutely spot on. Was talking about this to my brother on the weekend.

Landon's manic two-way running (which he does the entire game) is so important to Melbourne.

Cottrell has the speed and stamina to go with him all day. If Cottrell is told to be totally accountable - to run with him everywhere he goes, harass and block, and it ends up a nil-all draw between the two, it is a massive win for us.

Collingwood used these tactics (Sidebottom) and Langdon had no influence. Collingwood won easily..

I'm not sure I've seen Jack Martin even sprint at full speed this year whilst Honey chased and ran like a madman with little reward. But he never gave up. Martin gives up.
In defence of Jack, having had a few calf injuries it would be playing on his mind (even sub-consciously) that maximum exertion could result in another tear.

I really feel for him as he has shown that at peak fitness that he is an absolute gun, and has a skill set that wins games off his own boot.

I hope he manages to overcome these soft tissue problems and gets a full season next year!

In defence of Jack, having had a few calf injuries it would be playing on his mind (even sub-consciously) that maximum exertion could result in another tear.

I really feel for him as he has shown that at peak fitness that he is an absolute gun, and has a skill set that wins games off his own boot.

I hope he manages to overcome these soft tissue problems and gets a full season next year!

Im thinking the same. It is just his body letting him down and lack of continuity. I’m also not sure the MC have him in the right role.

You see him sometimes flying for marks vs Charlie, Harry and JSOS. Just doesn’t seem smart use of him. I’d rather see him upfield once his body is right.

Has he only been at peak fitness a couple of times in his career......and maybe once at carlton? (his first game):think:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I need to thank the Blues family for a great moment on Saturday.

I live in regional Victoria so only get to 2-3 games a year and posted in the preview thread that I haven't actually see a Carlton win live for about 5 years. For someone who grew up in the 70's and 80's era its been hard to take.

Was at the game with my wife and family. After our great win we were shuffling our way out of the city side of the stadium towards the train. We were under that verandah of the building next door when a Blues fan started up the 'Da Da Da Da Da' and before we knew it we had a few hundred Carlton fans singing the song in unison.

It basically bought tears to my eye - I finally felt 'we're back' and part again of this massive Blues family !! My wife (who is an Essendon fan) couldn't believe how great an atmosphere it was.

there was a party for one of the player's kids at marvel and after the club song cotts & vanilla went straight into the party room and blew up 200 balloons....

Cotts and Vanilla after running 16ks at high intensity still couldn’t blow out the candles

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Coaches' Votes

10 - Sam Walsh (CARL)
5 - Zac Fisher (CARL)
4 - Tom De Koning (CARL)
4 - Sam Docherty (CARL)
3 - George Hewett (CARL)
2 - Matthew Kennedy (CARL)
2 - Adam Saad (CARL)

No votes for Brodie? Bit stiff, thought he was keeping them in it

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

No doubting his undeniable talent.

We were under that verandah of the building next door when a Blues fan started up the 'Da Da Da Da Da' and before we knew it we had a few hundred Carlton fans singing the song in unison.

It basically bought tears to my eye - I finally felt 'we're back' and part again of this massive Blues family !! My wife (who is an Essendon fan) couldn't believe how great an atmosphere it was.
WOW, mixed marriage.
WTF? ;)

I need to thank the Blues family for a great moment on Saturday.

I live in regional Victoria so only get to 2-3 games a year and posted in the preview thread that I haven't actually see a Carlton win live for about 5 years. For someone who grew up in the 70's and 80's era its been hard to take.

Was at the game with my wife and family. After our great win we were shuffling our way out of the city side of the stadium towards the train. We were under that verandah of the building next door when a Blues fan started up the 'Da Da Da Da Da' and before we knew it we had a few hundred Carlton fans singing the song in unison.

I loved that too! What a mob we were! Could you hear me?

WOW, mixed marriage.
WTF? ;)

She's gradually coming across from the dark side. She wore a Carlton scarf to the game and, because of our rabid support in the rest of the family, she concedes she knows more about the Blues than Essendon.

Quick story - at one point she had convinced my five year old daughter (at the time) to follow Essendon. They had a bit of a laugh until I said, in all seriousness, "She can barrack for Essendon but if you think I'm taking here to any games you are kidding yourself. I am NOT taking her to an Essendon game !!". Quickly changed to Carlton.

Brilliant.

A few things to note about that goal:

1. Cottrell's first option was Walsh running past. He was aware enough to see Walsh would be sold into trouble so cut back inside and created the space for himself.
  2. His handball option was absolutely the right thing, he already knew what he was going to do next. He showed that he has elite running capabilities, these types of players just get better as the game goes on.
  3. Cottrell has now shown us many a time that he can kick the ball well running at full tilt.
  4. Josh Honey actually roved the inital marking contest on the wing and handballed to Cottrell. If you follow Honey from that point onward he too sprints to the next contest and can be seen running alongside Cottrell right up until he kicked the goal, providing another option. I reckon Vossy would've loved that.
He barely slowed down as well when kicking, just steadied really well.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

She's gradually coming across from the dark side. She wore a Carlton scarf to the game and, because of our rabid support in the rest of the family, she concedes she knows more about the Blues than Essendon.

Quick story - at one point she had convinced my five year old daughter (at the time) to follow Essendon. They had a bit of a laugh until I said, in all seriousness, "She can barrack for Essendon but if you think I'm taking here to any games you are kidding yourself. I am NOT taking her to an Essendon game !!". Quickly changed to Carlton.
You saved your daughter's soul from damnation.
Father of the century!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2022 Rd 15 Blues show top 4 credentials

Back