Autopsy 2022 Rd 23 Choked again. Season Done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Plenty of reasons why we lost. Can't be bothered getting into it all, as it has and will be discussed plenty. Charlie and Harry kicking 4.8 combined doesn't help, but there's three goals given away here as well.
This isn't a block? Pies goal.
View attachment 1487090
This is... but not against Quaynor. Against Jack. Missed goal to Cripps.
View attachment 1487096

And this wasn't a hold? Missed goal to Charlie.
View attachment 1487101
Plus Harry getting dragged down and landed in the back of with about 3 mins to go.

why not slow down, take the mark then kick around the corner?
The only reason to play on is if there is no one around and you will be able to run around further. He was on a slight angle and there were players in the area. Was a silly play.

Trying to be positive - we got the finals experience we were looking to gain from the last 2 games. Just a shame we couldn't get it done as our best can trouble any team apart from Geelong. It should burn more over the summer than an honourable loss in Brisbane in the finals.

We just need to get more weapons up forward. 3 smalls makes it too easy for players like Maynard to help against our talls. Need to either get a Zurhaar or for Honey to come on.

Why not do it the way that's allowed him to kick 64 goals this year?
He's an instinct player. Been pretty solid all year and just happens to have two average games at the wrong time.
If he'd kicked 4.1 and 5.2 the last 2 weeks, nobody would care how he did it.
Because instead of 64 goals this year, he should easily have had more than 70, and we'd be in the finals.
His method does not provide the greatest probability of kicking a goal. He needs to improve the percentages.

I think it's going to be pretty hard for fans to move on if they continue to be focused on this or that individual. Durds is copping a bit but even that late i50 decision could be justified if you look at where Charlie was standing vs Howe in the moment it was kicked - Charlie didn't move and as we know Howe cleaned it up easily.

Now, that's not on Charlie, but it's also absolutely not crazy for Durds to expect a forward to move to that spot

Hope no fans is giving shit to Durds on social, doesn't deserve it. I could probably list 50 differerent things in that last quarter. 2nd year, a lot of pressure to put on a kid. I am sure if we were put in that same situation we all scuff that kick.

If I see Durds, I will give him hug and say everything will be okay.

Yeah not getting it to Harry was probably the only real mistake, but in this particular situation, Harry's lead was too late for Durdin to adjust (not saying he couldn't or that was in any way Harry's fault, just that Durdin was already looking past him and had completely committed to Curnow in the pocket, erroneously as it turned out).

Gotta say, I'm glad it was Durdin in that situation and not me!
Indeed. Not a fan of looking for moments and taking potshots at players, especially not 20 year olds with 20 games of experience. There were 10 moments in the last quarter that were equally as important in deciding the outcome. I sure as hell hope that Durdin doesn't read BigFooty.

Because instead of 64 goals this year, he should easily have had more than 70, and we'd be in the finals.
His method does not provide the greatest probability of kicking a goal. He needs to improve the percentages.
I'm unsure how you can come to those conclusions. This isn't the amateur league. The coaches and Curnow throughout the year would have been finding what's most comfortable for him and gives the highest percentage of a goal. I'm sure they would have done plenty of training drills determining what gives the players the best success of kicking a goal.

Of course training is one thing, on the field is another and at the specific time he should have gone back and taken some time for everyone to have a breather. But you live and die by the sword unfortunately.

Completely agree and that's what a coach would be instructing to do from a textbook. But there must be some sort of reason for him to do it. We've been seeing it all year and the coaches must believe him just trusting his raw talent to swing onto the boot has a greater goal likelihood. I just don't think it was as major reason for the loss as others have been posting in here.

More to that. It also gives time to do rotations as well, if we look at the full ground in that moment I could guess a few players were out of position getting off the field.

Expanding to close games, its a good learning curve and its better to learn it now on how to hold on to a lead. Hope this gets reinforce in the off-season and drilled throughout the 2023 season.

It is critical. There is should be no difference from playing on and steading 30 seconds and take the same kick you are about to do.

That 30 seconds chews up the clock, allows are defenders have a 30 second breather and set-up behind play. Its a genuine disservice to play on, its not like he was hard stuck on the boundary line on a difficult angle, he was 30 ms out on a slight angle. No reason to play on.
100% this !!!!!

Our players not understanding how to milk time off the clock after they take a mark - frustrating as hell! Particularly because it also gives our players a rest when they were gassed in that last quarter. I dont even recall being given the hurry up to play on off a mark in that last quarter - thats what we should have done on multiple occasions ! Imagine what sucking an extra 2 mins of gametime out of that game could have achieved for us.

Same thing with Harry's mark and kick backwards to Owies against Melbourne. He could have chewed up another 20 seconds there!

Dumb dumb footballers!!!!

Agree. Same with Harry's check side that he missed a couple of weeks ago. It's a far easier kick than a drop punt from the same position (assuming a dry ball). Week after week, players miss narrow side from that same spot going the drop punt.

Provided the players can execute it in training at a higher percentage than a drop punt, the club needs to back in the players to take the kick that's more likely to succeed, not the kick the traditionalists insist on because it's always been done that way. We're not playing on the mud heaps of the 80s anymore.
It's a false assertion to say that the percentages are better, so that it's a better option.
If they kicked more drop punts, and got the confidence to kick drop punts, then the percentage of makes would go up. It's gives them a cop-out. And both Charlie and Harry are very capable of kicking good drop punts. Neither of them are going to drop a drop punt 15 meters short on a 40 meter kick.

And in high-pressure situations, it's the best option: Dom Sheed, Jack Newnes, Robbie Gray, Jamie Elliot...

I still feel sick to my core. Driving home yesterday my heart felt actual pressure from the result - today still feel worn out and run down. Felt we were a genuine top 4 side this season until injuries got the better of us. Even with the injuries, I expected us to win one of our four games and make the finals. We didn't do that. We lost yesterday and that was one of the more painful things to witness in my life. Yesterday's loss wasn't as bad as last weeks. Last weeks was pure ineptitude in the last. This was something a lot crueler, just some critical moments that didn't go our way. We were also crucified by the umpires yesterday, as we have all year. Shocking umpiring. But that doesn't take away from the fact that we should have won the game and didn't. I hope the boys feel half as much pain as I do and build on this for next season. As per Voss' presser that seems to be the case. On to next season - I am going to crawl into a whole and die somewhere, i may not return.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm unsure how you can come to those conclusions. This isn't the amateur league. The coaches and Curnow throughout the year would have been finding what's most comfortable for him and gives the highest percentage of a goal. I'm sure they would have done plenty of training drills determining what gives the players the best success of kicking a goal.

Of course training is one thing, on the field is another and at the specific time he should have gone back and taken some time for everyone to have a breather. But you live and die by the sword unfortunately.
If he's most comfortable playing on immediately and snapping (and missing), then the simple answer is to train him up to the point of being comfortable with a higher percentage method.

His goal accuracy is slightly better than Hawkins' and slightly worse than Cameron's.
Better than King, Naughton, Harry, Mihocek, Riewoldt, Daniher, Membrey, Gunston, Brown, Stringer, Hipwood.
Only Lynch, Wright, Marshall and Lewis are in the 60+% range in the top 30 KPFs. I think he's doing fine the way he is. Can't pin our finals chances on Charlie not kicking an extra 6 goals over 22 games.

It's a false assertion to say that the percentages are better, so that it's a better option.
If they kicked more drop punts, and got the confidence to kick drop punts, then the percentage of makes would go up. It's gives them a cop-out. And both Charlie and Harry are very capable of kicking good drop punts. Neither of them are going to drop a drop punt 15 meters short on a 40 meter kick.

And in high-pressure situations, it's the best option: Dom Sheed, Jack Newnes, Robbie Gray, Jamie Elliot...
Cherry-picking a few examples doesn't make a point. There's countless examples of players missing rudimentary drop punts in high-pressure situations. Fevola against the Hawks from 15 metres out comes to mind.

Harry doesn't miss from the snap. He needs to get his range right (35-40m is his limit) but provided he's in his sweet spot, he'd go close to 100%.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In retrospect, that game against the Crows really derailed our season.

Not only did we drop the 4 points that would have had us playing Finals, we also lost both Kennedy and Newman for the season. Two exceptionally dependable players who would have made a positive difference yesterday and last week.
I think the pressure built dramatically from the Saints loss on. Just shocking kicking for goal that day too.

I think teams exposed our lack of run around the ball and started aiming to only break even with us on ball because they knew they’d beat us on the spread.

We sorted it ALL out against Melbourne and Pies but by then we’d had a few weeks of absolutely mounting pressure.

It’s not a bad error to have played Hewett, Kennedy and Cripps on ball so much- they all win it so well. But as a group they get beaten in transition and beaten on spread. We looked a totally different side with Doc and Setters pressuring ball carriers and (more importantly) being easily able to stay defensive side of their opponents and cut out them as options. We looked superb with Cerra free wheeling it yesterday. Another great move made too late (he’s been playing as defensive run with for ages).

They know now how to avoid being beaten on the spread. Doc is a massive chance to be asked to play wing next year in my view. Stocker will be much fitter with a full preseason. Williams hopefully gets a good run at it (was great in his first game back). Newman. Boyd. Saad. 5 options for 3 spots without even considering Doc.

Setters as a run with player was a revelation these two games. Broke even with Oliver and beat JDG. Gives him enormous impetus going into the preseason.

His goal accuracy is slightly better than Hawkins' and slightly worse than Cameron's.
Better than King, Naughton, Harry, Mihocek, Riewoldt, Daniher, Membrey, Gunston, Brown, Stringer, Hipwood.
Only Lynch, Wright, Marshall and Lewis are in the 60+% range in the top 30 KPFs. I think he's doing fine the way he is. Can't pin our finals chances on Charlie not kicking an extra 6 goals over 22 games.
From set shots?
And does that include out-on-the-fulls?

Charlie had 13 shots the last 2 weeks for 3.9
We just needed 1 more, and a fair few of them were low degree of difficulty.
You can certainly pin us not reaching our potential with that sort of a return from our key-forward.

Indeed. Not a fan of looking for moments and taking potshots at players, especially not 20 year olds with 20 games of experience. There were 10 moments in the last quarter that were equally as important in deciding the outcome. I sure as hell hope that Durdin doesn't read BigFooty.
Why? Haven’t really seen anyone be particularly nasty about it just pretty much point out that it was a brain fade which it was. Wasn’t the only one. He will know that himself and he will learn from it. Generally elite sportsman are more critical of themselves than anyone else is of them.

I love Charlie, he's my favourite player to pull on the Navy Blue probably ever. He has an X factor in the same way Fev, Betts, Judd and Kouta did. He is an absolute freakshow but he absolutely should've kicked 70+
1661141637038.png

He had 23 more shots at goal than second place and 47 more score involvements than second place with DOUBLE the GOAL ASSISTS. He was immense. He has so much upside, his drop punt is the textbook drop punt, as is his round the corner drop punt and his snap. What is not textbook however, are those rushed snap shots he takes while he is still regaining his breath. He bellies the ball or hits them narrow. If he takes his time with those, or goes a drop punt instead of a snap he could add another 5-10 percentage points to his goal accuracy.

I don't know why people feel they can't be critical on him, yes he has achieved so much and obviously every single supporter loves Charlie but if there is scope for improvement why not talk about it?

Curnow 2.5
McKay 2.3

Save the party tricks boys for when we are 10 goals up with 5 minutes left to play.

If only they were half as good as Jack Riewoldt at set shot goal kicking.

Disappointing to say the least.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Might have been the second, maybe the third quarter. Charlie about 20 out running into goal, had about three meters on his opponent. Had plenty of time to grab it and kick it through. Should have been a certain goal, but alas Charlie tries the spectacular and fails miserably. This was annoying at the time and perhaps pivotal now reflecting on the game.

We don't seem to have any big time finishers.

We have heaps of talent that gets us to the line, but too often they let the pressure get to them at the death.

It's not something that can be taught.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app
This is why the Papley deal falling through still irks me so much. He's the one that would be putting the nail in the coffin in these games.

Weitering hasn't been the same since he hurt his shoulder.

He was actually very average prior to as well. I remember a poster lambasting me at one stage for making such a ridiculous comment. But you could tell, he was getting beaten in one on one contests, something that should be his strength.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2022 Rd 23 Choked again. Season Done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back