Autopsy 2022 Rd 8 3rd Quarter Blue Blitz Downs the Crows

Who played well for the Blues in Round 8 vs the Crows?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, our depth is holding up very well .
Obviously they are not all going to fit into our best 22 and we have have gone past Ed and OMac even when right IMO.

You would think Hewy for the unlucky Martin this week. (hopefully only a one weeker)

Marchy for Newman is on the cards in a few weeks, fingers crossed.

Cunners interesting, going to have to put an impressive block in the VFL together. Ditto Honey.

Still think Dow best 22 also when he finally gets an opportunity.

Pitto, Stocks and Gov a long way off sadly.

Plow is too good for VFL and is right on the cusp of best 22, horses for courses with him.

IT IS ALL GOOD though. DEPTH !!!!
say again?

Aside from completely enjoying the win I agree that North and Adelaide are hard to gauge our real position on.

It’s this next group of matches that hopefully shows we are a legit top 8 side. I think the top 4 bit is our draw playing out. Having said that, some of the players yet to come back full time in Marchy and Stocker really add missing ingredients For second half of season. A lot depends on when TDK meets a ruck in form and how he copes. Witts destroyed him. Pruess will be interesting physically next week.

Fisher has been excellent. But I’m interested too in him vs higher quality teams. I say this as I have knocked Young and Boyd and both were good. Young good for two weeks. I’m re-evaluating. Like you, I reserve the right on both Boyd and Young vs some quality. But I accept they are fighting hard to prove themselves.

I beg to differ.

Comfortably beating these sides is a massive indicator of a change in mindset at the club. Years gone by we'd be chests out and high fiving after scratching out a 2pt win over a top 8 side, and then go on to lose to a bottom 6 side the following week. Beating up lower end teams is the ticket to making finals. Build the percentage, make sure you're getting the wins you absolutely should get so you don't have to pull a rabbit out of the hat against Melbourne late in the year.

Finals footy - on the day, our best beats anyone. Half the battle is just getting there to give ourselves that opportunity.

Did have a bit of a chuckle seeing on Twitter how salty the Crows fans were with one particular free paid to Harry. Hilarious given how Butts tried to molest H at every opportunity. He easily could have had a few more paid against him.

Didn't help that every replay they showed started about 2 seconds after the hold. Harry had his arm held a couple of metres off the back of the contest, denying him a chance to fly. Replay after replay just showed some innocuous contact in the pack itself, which wasn't where the issue lay.

Did have a bit of a chuckle seeing on Twitter how salty the Crows fans were with one particular free paid to Harry. Hilarious given how Butts tried to molest H at every opportunity. He easily could have had a few more paid against him.
Happened 'right in front of them' I bet

Curnow is out no.1 forward now. Taken over from Harry imo as the main man inside 50. Though they complement eachother excellently well. Harry a genuine tall marking target, then Charlie who's a big of a hybrid. Plays taller than he is but he's so good at ground level you can't afford to plonk a key defender on him as Charlie is likely to nick 2 or 3 off the deck if you're not careful, but if you put a medium/3rd tall with more mobility on him he plays taller than his height so will out mark/muscle them. Then obviously Harry is liable to take half a dozen contested marks inside 50 and kick 4 himself. Great combo.

Temper that though with the lack of crumbing our small fwds do. That's an area that if we get going then suddenly fwdline gets scary. Right now it's a little feast or famine.

Love the role Fisher is playing. Great to see they've shifted his role from Small Forward where he was in the first month or so to where is he now which is his perfect role. Anywhere from centre wing to the edge of 50 is where Fisher is at his most dangerous

I must admit I didn't see what the club were seeing in Boyd but I see it now. Probably won't give that performance every week but for the first time imo it looked like he believed he should be playing. Might be a simplistic overview but that's how it looks.

Something doesn't seem right with Weiters. He's never been accused of being fast but even by his standards he just looks slow this year. Not sure if he's carrying something or what, but there's no way 2020/2021 Weiters is being outrun by Tex bloody Walker every time on a lead. Walker is a good player, but fast he is not, and he was comfortably 10 metres ahead of Weiters at will.

Cerras best game, finally showed that classy kicking he's renown for. Has looked a little uneasy imo so far this season but last night it was there for all to see.

We dominated O'Brien. Usually reliable to win his position for the Crows or at worst halve it, but he was comprehensively outplayed. Wasn't as though TDK or JSOS had huge games but they completely stymied a structurally important O'Brien.

Thing is, the crumbing is being done (and well) by mediums like JSOS and Martin. It's actually not the end of the world if our smalls aren't front and centre, because the gameplan seems to be utilising them higher up the ground to pressure the opposition rebound. Refreshing to see contests in the forward 50 with only 4-6 players involved, rather than our genius* plans of yesteryear which seemed to involved flooding our own forward 50 and removing any space for our key forwards to lead into.

He got subbed out too.

Not good.
If the Adelaide players had thought that there was anything even slightly iffy with the tackle, they would have remonstrated vigorously with Cripps. Same as when Cripps charged through a mod of crowbot players and clipped on in the head with an elbow. There are zero charges to be laid here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A thing of beauty!

When was the last time we were Top 4 after Rnd 8?

FSRn_HkVcAApFT3

he has such a fresh-faced, slightly goofy look about him - has taken over from cas as my new favourite big lug......
Might say he has a Young looking face..

Great to roll into Monday with 4 points and a 6-2 record.

Really strong team performance last night.

Cripps was outstanding. Played with serious presence and brutality.

Charlie’s comeback after 2 years out has been outstanding.

Also thought Boyd had his best game in navy blue. Very courageous and tough throughout the game.

If the Adelaide players had thought that there was anything even slightly iffy with the tackle, they would have remonstrated vigorously with Cripps. Same as when Cripps charged through a mod of crowbot players and clipped on in the head with an elbow. There are zero charges to be laid here.

I agree but we've all been burned by Christian before. I'll breathe a sigh of relief when it's cleared. Until then the media already tried to jump on it.

A thing of beauty!

When was the last time we were Top 4 after Rnd 8?

FSRn_HkVcAApFT3

2011 with Judd and co

6-2 and top 4... I can finally smell what we're cooking. It's tantalising to start considering finals. I was expecting improvement this year, but didn't dream we'd be in this position.

But... to keep a lid on it, here's the lid: We are 1-1 against teams in the top half of the ladder. We're 5-1 against teams in the bottom half of the ladder. While it might not have seemed so at the start of the year, our draw has been very friendly. Our remaining matches are 5 vs bottom half, 9 vs top half.

We'll probably need to go 7-7 or better to play finals from here on in, so we're a long way from home yet. No reason we shouldn't, but we can't be complacent.

Also thought Boyd had his best game in navy blue. Very courageous and tough throughout the game.
I loved that passage of play where he got the I50 clearance to JSOS for that goal. Gets the ball, stands up and a Crowbot just ricochets off him like he's made of concrete and then fends off another Crowbot before handing it off to Jack. Pure beast.

think one of the things we seem to be overlooking with boyd is he's extremely photogenic.....

I loved that passage of play where he got the I50 clearance to JSOS for that goal. Gets the ball, stands up and a Crowbot just ricochets off him like he's made of concrete and then fends off another Crowbot before handing it off to Jack. Pure beast.
he's picked it up and gone for a walk like someone who's found a wallet at the supermarket....sos said thank you so much that's mine.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2022 Rd 8 3rd Quarter Blue Blitz Downs the Crows

Back