Preview 2022 Round 13 Carlton vs Essendon Friday June 10 7:50PM @ MCG - Team Post #1538

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I have been in discussions with some * mates (yes it is possible) about why this rivalry is so intense, unlike the Pies one which has morphed into almost a bromance (don't get that either). We can't agree how this even started in the first place.
One is convinced it goes back to a Blues Full Back, might have been Harry Casper, who 'touched up' Coleman. I believe it goes back to when Sheedy brought his Carlton hatred across from Richmond, or the bloodbath of '75, or even as a result of the '68 GF.....
Please help....
It was the 68 GF mate, deep in the last quater Carlton were 3 points in front with the ball heading towards Bombers goal square where Carlton fullback Wes Lofts pushed Bombers full forward Geoff Blethyn square in the back and took a mark, the Carlton crowd went silent, the Bombers crowd all yelled "in the back" at once, the umpire called Carltons mark and the rest is history. One of the greatest Carlton moments in my memory.

Ridiculous stuff nitpicking between who is our MOST valuable player.

We have 5 champions in our team. In alphabetical order, Charles, Cripps, McKay, Walsh and Weitering.

If all 5 play, we won't be losing many games going forward. If 4 are playing, we still won't be losing many.

We have a deep bench to fill the remaining 17 spots in the 22. But if those 5 play, and 1 of our rucks, good luck to the oppo.

All 26 and under too.
AFL.com.au released their mid-season AA team and we've got Weiters, Doc, Cripps & Curnow. Strong finish to the year and maybe Harry & Walsh can break in... wouldn't mind a nice even spread of two per line...

We have 5 champions in our team. In alphabetical order, Charles, Cripps, McKay, Walsh and Weitering.

If all 5 play, we won't be losing many games going forward. If 4 are playing, we still won't be losing many.

We have a deep bench to fill the remaining 17 spots in the 22. But if those 5 play, and 1 of our rucks, good luck to the oppo.

All 26 and under too.

Don't think Hewett is far away from that group on 2022 form....

All 26 and under too.

Saad.

It was the 68 GF mate, deep in the last quater Carlton were 3 points in front with the ball heading towards Bombers goal square where Carlton fullback Wes Lofts pushed Bombers full forward Geoff Blethyn square in the back and took a mark, the Carlton crowd went silent, the Bombers crowd all yelled "in the back" at once, the umpire called Carltons mark and the rest is history. One of the greatest Carlton moments in my memory.
Winning unfairly is hardly a highlight surely?

Quoted for prosperity...

My question is, did your keyboard survive this post, as I could see you giving it a fair thumping while writing this!
Did you...
You just did a...
Did you mean....I can'tell..
Oh,
nevermind.
:D :straining:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ahoy guys, always good for banter on the main boards so hoping it's ok to pop in.

I don't think it is as foregone a conclusion that many (professionals and amateurs) opinions predict. Carlton with a few key soldiers down and Essendon needing to prove a point is the perfect storm for an upset on the cards.

I expect Carlton to win, far to much firepower for Essendon to contain, however it would not surprise if Essendon pulled there finger out, especially with the 150 year celebration on for us.
If we don't win by 10 goals the umpires have robbed us

Winning unfairly is hardly a highlight surely?

The Pies are still ropeable about Wayne Harmes and the boundary line more than 40 years on.

Sometimes a bit of luck or a what if moment is what makes it a highlight.

Thinking that there are some old timey * fans that beat themselves up over an unfair finish to the 68 GF... Then THAT'S a highlight!

Last edited:
Anyone, but in this instance I'm talking about fans. More specifically the posts on here suggesting it's "their Grand Final" and how pathetic that is.
Plenty of * fans are suggesting this is the game they want to win more than any other. Particularly considering the 150th. Do you have any feel at all for the rivalry between these two clubs? Have you experienced devastation like 93, exhilaration like PF 99? Do you accept there is a fair bit of argy bargy in people's comments? That it's mostly hope rather than conviction? That the hubris is more than likely the kid whistling his way home at night through the cemetary? A little rich to be telling supporters what we know only too well. 20 years of ordinary is just about behind us. Winning this game will be another step in our progress, showing confidence that it will happen is maybe a change of fan mindset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back