Autopsy 2022 Round 14 Slow starting Blues have disappointing loss

Who played well for the Blues in our round 14 match vs the Tigers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

There's probably nothing new here but I thought I would share regardless.

Third-Party Thoughts

I'm usually very quick to let a loss go. Emotional to the extreme in the moment but pretty relaxed afterward. I'm finally learning that it's not healthy to hold onto things like that.

However, it doesn't help that my partner's Dad is both a Richmond member and a retired QAFL umpire of 20+ seasons who still works as an umpire coach part-time while continuing to referee netball games all weekend.

He loves nothing more than to rub in a Richmond victory over us in our interaction. I ****ing hate it as until round 1 it's been years of him rubbing it in.

However, for the first time ever instead of rubbing it in he messages me "Good game but the umpiring really killed you. Worst umpiring this year in a game that I've watched live. You'll bounce back!"

So I ask him what he's talking about and ask for specific examples.

1. The Adam Saad eye gouge was right in front of the umpire. Although it is accidental (i.e. not a report) it's still high contact and thus an easy free-kick. This resulted in Richmond's first goal. (+ 6 points to Richmond)

2. There is no way for the umpire to determine that Broad touched the ball on Newnes' goal. The footage isn't decisive enough. The fingers don't move simultaneously with the ball as they're already moving and don't change direction after the ball supposedly hits the hand. Richmond got an ensuing goal (-5 points to Carlton, +6 to Richmond)

3. Lewis Young was held by Tom Lynch preventing him from contesting Shai Bolton's game-sealing goal. One could argue that there's no way Young gets to Bolton but there was a definite free-kick in that play. (+6 points to Richmond)
He said there were other calls that resulted in scoreboard shifts in favor of Richmond but those were the ones that made him pause and write down notes.

We lost by 15 points. A lifelong Richmond supporter paid to train and educate umpires at the state level (with the hope of them getting to AFL level) can point to 4 goals that he thought were easy to make as game-decisive errors irk me.

--

Personal Thoughts

I still argue - as I did with him - that we played dumb wet weather football for far too much of the game.

Although we've had some really strong starts this year it's not the first time that we've let a team get the jump on us. This one hurt significantly more than others.

I believe that we had enough opportunity to win the game in the second half and missed far too many gettable opportunities.

These three things cost us the game more than the umpiring did in my uneducated opinion. It just stings to hear it from an umpire educator who typically loves to rub in their wins.

The goal at the end of the first half really hurt us going into the break. We had all the momentum and it shifted it to them going into the half. Ouch.

I hate Prestia though admittedly he is a gun player. However, what he did to Cripps at the end of the third quarter and initiating that melee really galvanized Richmond more than it did for us. There are significant lessons here that we must learn from. We're still a young team but we can't be the team that is easy to bully. We need to develop a steely resolve and put it into action on the field. I thought we were quick to retaliate and respond to it (ensuring the melee) but we didn't know how to utilize it to our strength while Richmond - who are the experts at it - clearly did.

On a similar note, I believe that we struggle mightily against teams who employ hard-tackling, contested, games. We lost tonight and Collingwood smashed us for much of the game by playing similarly. We have a team of midfield bulls. What can we do so that this changes? We will not win a finals game which are highly contested, drag it out affairs, until we learn to play against this style of play.

Finally, the injuries are starting to take their toll. Fingers crossed for Durdin.

Let this, mostly, incredible ride continue.

Anyone else's heart rate steady every time Saad enters the picture? Just feels like most plays he gets involved with end up with a good outcome for us.

99% brilliant.

1% scarecrow and gets himself into trouble because he knows how class he is.

You're right.

I've come right around on him from where I was last year. Gun.

It's incredible that yet another key defender goes down in 3 consecutive weeks! Crazy. To be honest, no matters what happens for the rest of the season, I'm proud of the fight the boys have shown this year despite some weak quarters, and I'm proud of the turnaround Voss has achieved in just one half season in charge. Injuries luck is hard to avoid when it strikes so if it costs us making much of a dent at the pointy end of the season, I'm okay. I feel I've already seen enough growth to know we Carlton are a totally different team from 2021 and are going to be a huge threat in 2023. Maybe we'll still be a dark horse 2022 but either way I'm happy with what I've seen thus far. Thanks Voss. Thanks boys. Go Blues!

Third-Party Thoughts

I'm usually very quick to let a loss go. Emotional to the extreme in the moment but pretty relaxed afterward. I'm finally learning that it's not healthy to hold onto things like that.

However, it doesn't help that my partner's Dad is both a Richmond member and a retired QAFL umpire of 20+ seasons who still works as an umpire coach part-time while continuing to referee netball games all weekend.

He loves nothing more than to rub in a Richmond victory over us in our interaction. I ******* hate it as until round 1 it's been years of him rubbing it in.

However, for the first time ever instead of rubbing it in he messages me "Good game but the umpiring really killed you. Worst umpiring this year in a game that I've watched live. You'll bounce back!"

1. The Adam Saad eye gouge was right in front of the umpire. Although it is accidental (i.e. not a report) it's still high contact and thus an easy free-kick. This resulted in Richmond's first goal. (+ 6 points to Richmond)

2. There is no way for the umpire to determine that Broad touched the ball on Newnes' goal. The footage isn't decisive enough. The fingers don't move simultaneously with the ball as they're already moving and don't change direction after the ball supposedly hits the hand. Richmond got an ensuing goal (-5 points to Carlton, +6 to Richmond)

3. Lewis Young was held by Tom Lynch preventing him from contesting Shai Bolton's game-sealing goal. One could argue that there's no way Young gets to Bolton but there was a definite free-kick in that play. (+6 points to Richmond)
He said there were other calls that resulted in scoreboard shifts in favor of Richmond but those were the ones that made him pause and write down notes.

We lost by 15 points. A lifelong Richmond supporter paid to train and educate umpires at the state level (with the hope of them getting to AFL level) can point to 4 goals that he thought were easy to make as game-decisive errors irk me.

--

Personal Thoughts

I still argue - as I did with him - that we played dumb wet weather football for far too much of the game.

Although we've had some really strong starts this year it's not the first time that we've let a team get the jump on us. This one hurt significantly more than others.

I believe that we had enough opportunity to win the game in the second half and missed far too many gettable opportunities.

These three things cost us the game more than the umpiring did in my uneducated opinion. It just stings to hear it from an umpire educator who typically loves to rub in their wins.

The goal at the end of the first half really hurt us going into the break. We had all the momentum and it shifted it to them going into the half. Ouch.

I hate Prestia though admittedly he is a gun player. However, what he did to Cripps at the end of the third quarter and initiating that melee really galvanized Richmond more than it did for us. There are significant lessons here that we must learn from. We're still a young team but we can't be the team that is easy to bully. We need to develop a steely resolve and put it into action on the field. I thought we were quick to retaliate and respond to it (ensuring the melee) but we didn't know how to utilize it to our strength while Richmond - who are the experts at it - clearly did.

On a similar note, I believe that we struggle mightily against teams who employ hard-tackling, contested, games. We lost tonight and Collingwood smashed us for much of the game by playing similarly. We have a team of midfield bulls. What can we do so that this changes? We will not win a finals game which are highly contested, drag it out affairs, until we learn to play against this style of play.

Finally, the injuries are starting to take their toll. Fingers crossed for Durdin.

It’s easy to say 6 pts here and 6 pts there, but one of our last goals was after two of our players had stone cold dropped the ball with no intention of a genuine attempt of disposing of it. No doubt you could go through the play leading up to every goal and find something not paid. What shits me to tears though is the blatantly obvious free kicks that aren’t being paid in every game. The obvious ones like the diving into peoples legs, the kicking in dangers (which must’ve been removed from the rule book as you are lucky to see one a year) and the continual non paying of push in the back, unless there is mayo put on it.

Play on, play on, play on, and then pick out something so minor that after watching 15 times on replay it still isn’t obvious.

Give me games of 60+ frees if need be, the players will work it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree. Reasonably confident we will win at least one of next two. Playing well at Marvel. Win the ones we should win against Eagles, Giants and Crows. Then at least one of Geelong, Lions, Dees and Pies and we are firmly in 8 and pushing top 4 with some luck. Have to feel confident against Pies with a hopefully much healthier list. Fairly confident for Cats as well.

Really need at least one of next two to keep momentum for when we start getting players back.
I can't see us making the 8. Long injury list, hard run home. I could only see 3 more wins coming out way.

He’s not a cheat - none of them are - and the umpires didn’t cost us the result tonight.

The reason we lost is we got outplayed for most of the night so best to accept it and move on.

Nope, he’s a cheat.

Overall the umpiring standard is fine, the only two that aren’t is Eleni, who is just generally incompetent, Williamson is absolutely biased.

He most certainly was bullied at school by peers who supported navy blue.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

this was a tough game,am glad not many injuries.....Blues were flat early,and just fumbled everything and no held marks early,Richmond will play finals and we are probably on the way down this year hopefully still make the 8...[we were too high]

We gave them a fight second half of good footy in tough condition with a depleted list at Carlton

Boyd looked good....[nice find]
LOB ....improving[nice]

we had a few positives with some good fight in the second half against a famous team on the build towards finals...

can still maybe win half our remaining games which will see us playing some finals footy...this group needs some exposure to the later rounds in finals and i think have worked hard enough this year to do exactly that !!...i would say we will build further next year [good things do take time]:thumbsu:

I’m a bit deflated with the loss, especially as I think we play two sides in the next fortnight who are better than us.

But I’ll try to focus on the positives:

Saad was enormous
Boyd and Cottrell both played well
Cripps and Walsh tried all night
I thought Harry looked in good touch again
The team did try to work their way back into the contest

Time to really knuckle down. We badly need a win in the next fortnight.

Woke up to a 15 point loss, watching the first quarter thought it would be 105. Saad being off for 10mins sucked a little confidence out of the group. I’m sure they would have thought oh no not again, just like we all would have. Sometimes that drop of 2% is the difference.
Fishers efforts were appalling.
Kennedy couldn’t bend down to tie his boot laces
Harry and Charlie flying for the same marks
Cotterell handballing to crippas toe nails when we were on a fast break was mind boggling
4 set shots for no return
Plodding back to defence
Guarding turf instead of going man on man ala the Bolton years
Young had no idea what a hairy football was/is
Prestia clearly dominating no pressure applied by his opponent, as in, “my opponent appears to doing a really splendid job I think I will admire this from afar”
Tom smashed in the ruck
I could go on.
Highlight for me was Reiwoldts histrionics after the siren.
Will watch the next three quarters today.
I f****n hate r******d and I hate losing.

I think sides have clued on that TDK is a poor tap ruckman and our mids a bit slow. Opposition rucks are now just wacking the ball into space and beating our guys to it with their small faster mids. Need Pittonett back and should take Goldstein as cover next year. A decent tap ruck is imperative to our game plan so can't afford not having one.
absolutely, if we are not into Goldstein, I’ll be disappointed. He is the perfect stop gap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Austin has a lot to do. Needs to draft well. Tonight C Durdin-terrible S Durdin-Hack Young- very avg.
We need to draft 4 or 5 kids next year
More concerned with our strength and conditioning team and soft tissue injuries, I.e. Martin with another calf injury rather than our recruiting team. As Vossy has said, the list is not complete we are still building. Austin has done a great job to date.

this was a tough game,am glad not many injuries.....Blues were flat early,and just fumbled everything and no held marks early,Richmond will play finals and we are probably on the way down this year hopefully still make the 8...[we were too high]

We gave them a fight second half of good footy in tough condition with a depleted list at Carlton

Boyd looked good....[nice find]
LOB ....improving[nice]

we had a few positives with some good fight in the second half against a famous team on the build towards finals...

can still maybe win half our remaining games which will see us playing some finals footy...this group needs some exposure to the later rounds in finals and i think have worked hard enough this year to do exactly that !!...i would say we will build further next year [good things do take time]:thumbsu:
Exactly.

How do we come out so flat?

More interested in staying home playing playstation on a cold night?

Was an absolutely shocking first qtr from.all aspects.

Intensity lifted in the second but continued to play dumb football.

I have absolutely adored Voss but these things would certainly need to come down on him at least partially, particularly showing no interest in the first qtr of a game to take outright top spot against a bitter rival.

Or is it us just going back to shitting the bed style over the last 12 years or so...except now we're good enough to salvage the scoreboard.

Very very disappointed about this game.

Third-Party Thoughts

He loves nothing more than to rub in a Richmond victory over us in our interaction. I ******* hate it as until round 1 it's been years of him rubbing it in.

--

Personal Thoughts

A retired QAFL umpire jotted down notes…really? And all he’s got is a touched ball … which it clearly was. Lynch holding back Young … ok then. And Saad getting an accidental poke in eye that would have been very hard for the umpire to see live. Is that it in the worst officiated game he’s ever seen. As a Richmond supporter he saw us lose the free kick count to Adelaide this year 33-13, so I think he’s seen worse. And Round 1 he saw 8 x 50m penalties and Carlton get most of their goals from free kicks … yet this game was worse based on a few incidents?

When Cotchin marked the ball 60m out from a short pass and Cripps tackled him to the ground and no 50m was paid? Did he jot that one down ?

We got the rub of the green … very rare for Richmond as every year we sit bottom of the free kick ladder - as we do this year. Round 1 you got 8 x 50m penalties and most of your goals from free kicks and 50’s. Yet last night is the worst umpiring your partner’s Dad felt compelled to take notes about ..?????

Anyway … we should have won given your injuries … the weird thing was we won by obliterating your midfield and not much to do with your missing defenders. 76-51 inside 50’s is not predominantly a defender issue. It’s the most inside 50’s we’ve ever had in a game.

Small point, but salient. There is no verb in the English language to 'verse' anyone. One can have an adversary, or one or a team can oppose another, which is what you mean.
Occasionally one might see and advertisement for 'team a' versus ' team b'
Versus is a latin word which means 'opposes'

Small point. Who cares, you know what he meant.

They played an extra behind the ball and still killed us the contest. Almost everytime we went forward it was to an outnumber a they would slingshot back to other way. Our extra up the ground was just ineffective.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Walsh was the extra in the midfield - had been playing that role all year.
He spent most of the night without a direct opponent and proceeded to kick it to their spare in defence.

I think sides have clued on that TDK is a poor tap ruckman and our mids a bit slow. Opposition rucks are now just wacking the ball into space and beating our guys to it with their small faster mids. Need Pittonett back and should take Goldstein as cover next year. A decent tap ruck is imperative to our game plan so can't afford not having one.

Yup. Our midfield hasn't been the same since Pitto went down. We desperately need a backup big bodied bash and crash ruckman. The gap from Pitto to TDK is big, then even bigger from TDK to Mirkov.

What to do with TDK? He's a gun but I don't think his best footy is as a ruck. 3rd fwd that pinch hits ruck? Down back like this brother? I genuinely wouldn't mind the latter.

Austin has a lot to do. Needs to draft well. Tonight C Durdin-terrible S Durdin-Hack Young- very avg.
We need to draft 4 or 5 kids next year
What a disgraceful post.

Calling Sam Durdin a hack, based on what? Was actually good last night, won most of the contests he was in, cleared a lot of dangerous ground balls. One bad kick when panicked under pressure, in his first game at AFL level in years, playing with blokes and a system he's known for 10 minutes?

Seriously just shut your ignorant mouth.

I thought it was going to happen again in the last quarter and that would have broken me.

You guys clearly better than I thought, to get that close with all the injuries to your back 6.

I see alot of blame on the umps, I bet those same posters probably criticized our board for similar? We get reamed every week.

At full strength, you guys win, no doubt, but on the night, your midfield was beaten and you had one winner in your forward half and he only turned it on in the last quarter.

Ps. SOS must be close to your hardest worker, he is all heart. New respect for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2022 Round 14 Slow starting Blues have disappointing loss

Back