• Pittonet 14
  • Cuningham season
  • honey we barely got him going before he did a calf
  • Weiters missed 5 and was not the same when back
  • Saad clearly hampered. Walsh the same
  • Hewett missed 7
  • Kennedy missed 5
  • Boyd missed the last 8
  • McKay missed 3 but was hampered before and seems to be having shoulder problems again
  • Newman missed the last 4 (went off first half v Adelaide)
  • stocker and TDk missed months of the preseason (and it showed)
  • Cerra missed 4 games

Compare that to Pies
  • 16 guys played either every game or close to
  • Adam’s missed 5
  • Grundy missed most of the year
  • de Goey missed 6
  • Elliot missed 6

That’s it. Very close to their best side was on the park all year. No overlap in injuires to Elliot and De Goey. Only 1 game overlap in injury to De Goey and Adams. Full credit to their fitness crew. And professionalism of players.

It meant they got to practice in game situations all year. We need to determine how to get there with our list. THAT is the biggest gap by a mile.
On face value it was a failure considering we were 8 and 2 and we lost our last 4 games. In isolation it clearly is a failure.

But, the extraordinary amount of injuries didn't help. You are right, Collingwood had their team together most of the year, practice, instinct, where to run to, understanding each other's role is so much more easier.

Out defence was decimated the majority of the year, unable to help, unable to understand where everyone else was, trusting where to spoil the ball to knowing you have a teammate where you think they should be. Then our midfield was decimated towards the end of the year, including missing Pitt for the majority of the year.

We were improvising for the whole year. Still, cannot give it a pass mark because of what happened the last 4 weeks. But won't call it a failure for the above reasons.

This reads like you expected them to win the flag.

Can't relate to feeling this pessimistic about the team. The absurdity of feeling this way is that it more or less hinges on a 1pt loss.
I expected them to at least be competitive and I saw nothing to dispute that capability. In the last 2 rounds, with half a midfield and a bunch of other players hobbled, they got within a kick of two top 4 teams.

But it doesn't hinge on a 1pt loss. It goes back to failing to show up against Adelaide, Gold Coast, St Kilda, Brisbane, and a host of other unserperformances. It hinges on starting the season 10-4 and ending up needing to win against top 4 teams just to salvage a finals spot.

And again, this is a list in its prime, peaking now. There's no more big signings. We haven't had top 10 draft picks in 4 years and the players have brought in are either mature or look barely depth quality.

If not high expectations, then when? Constant underperformance has been our byline for two decades and unsurprisingly continued here. But I guess accepting mediocrity is now our thing? As long ad there are 'learnings' and the club sound good in post match press conferences and on social media...

I almost feel like this year was the failure we had to have…. So, maybe a success?

Off field stable again.
List groaning with talent.
Fewer (not none, though) passengers than before.
Return and proof of Charlie talent.
Return and signs of Marchbank/McLovin talent.
Our best is stellar and devastating.
Our worst is disgusting and only ever one quarter away.
Lack of veteran cool-head leadership palpable.

Tactical team structure and mental readiness to perform is what was demonstrably not at the level this year. Both can be built, but take time. Voss and co gotta earn their money this off season, but if they do there’s no reason we shouldn’t play finals next year. We could easily “click” and rip 18 wins next year, too. Our upside is that good.

I expected them to at least be competitive and I saw nothing to dispute that capability. In the last 2 rounds, with half a midfield and a bunch of other players hobbled, they got within a kick of two top 4 teams.

But it doesn't hinge on a 1pt loss. It goes back to failing to show up against Adelaide, Gold Coast, St Kilda, Brisbane, and a host of other unserperformances. It hinges on starting the season 10-4 and ending up needing to win against top 4 teams just to salvage a finals spot.

And again, this is a list in its prime, peaking now. There's no more big signings. We haven't had top 10 draft picks in 4 years and the players have brought in are either mature or look barely depth quality.

If not high expectations, then when? Constant underperformance has been our byline for two decades and unsurprisingly continued here. But I guess accepting mediocrity is now our thing? As long ad there are 'learnings' and the club sound good in post match press conferences and on social media...

Seen you mention this a couple of times, but it is so far off the mark

Outperformed my pre-season expectations - by a lot
Underperformed my post bye expectations
Disappointed with the performance of Harry and Charlie in particular
Thought that injuries cruelled our chances for a fairy tale season
Proved that our midfield depth is shyte
Underlined the weaknesses in teh structure on the outside and HFF which I called in pre-season was bang on.

Sucked to lose two huge games by such small margins despite going in undermanned due to the inexperience of a few role players and kids.

Last two games showed that class players perform in big games ( McGovern/Williams/Marchbank/Cerra)

Cripps magnificent Captain.

Happy with Voss's performance as Head Coach - given the cards he was dealt with and looking forward to seeing what the Coaches and list management come up with to improve the weaknesses in the list.

With less injuries and more continuity - despite some serious weak links in the team - I think the team could have won at least one final.

Not scared of playing any team next year expect to win most games.

They finished with 12 wins, about what i was hoping for. But expectations needed to be adjusted at the half way point. In the end they failed to make the finals and with the adjusted expectations that was a failure. They should have been on 14 wins in reality. Losses to Tigers, Saints and Crows and being unable to upset a team above us (Lions, Dees, Pies) were the killers. They should have won 2 of the Tigers/Saints/Crows games to get to 14 wins and if we pinched one against the Lions/Dees/Pies then we get to 15.

Injuries cruelled us all year no doubt. When weitering went down (and all replacements injured) is where we seemed to lose our way. Think we changed how we played to cover for lack of tall defenders and we never got our system back and flowing. Just a quick one in relation to Weitering, he needs to play better with injuries, he goes into his shell too much at the first sign of being hurt.

For a side that has so much AA calibre talent, we fall away very quickly. We are too reliant on the top 6-8 all playing well at the same time. We need the next 5-8 players to step up and be more consistent. Across the board we need to lessen the difference between their realy good games and their really bad games. Too many of our 9-22 players have absolute stinkers when they have their bad games (almost droppable performances if we had decent depth)

One year down under Voss, his first chance to make changes to the list and good thing is he has had 12 months to get to really know the players and abilities. Should be a fair few cut i would think. 8+ changes to the list for me.

I've said it before, but if you were to ask me at the start of the season whether I'd take 12-10 for the year, I'd accept it. Particularly as well that 12-10 would more often than not be enough to make finals. First half of the year saw a demonstrative change in fortunes - we bear Richmond (including running over the top of them in the last), we held onto games where the opposition team was coming strong after giving up a decent lead (a usual Carlton trait except this time we didn't concede the game) and we were 8-2!

It seemed so unbelievable that we would capitulate in the second half in the way we did. Injuries aside, it looked as if a Carlton side took the field in the second half; both in mentality and execution.

Reflecting on the season, I genuinely feel the whole playing succumbed to the mental pressure. They perhaps got ahead of themselves after being in such a commanding position, ladder-wise, after the bye, complacency set in, and when the onus was on the players to actually needing to win a game in order to make finals, they crumbled.

I know we say it as a supporter base all too often, but next year is a make or break proposition. Voss is in his second year and will feel the insurmountable pressure to make finals. The players will need to sharpen up mentally and get rid of those jittery moments. There cannot be any regression or excuses made for any backward step taken next year. We all had mini milestones this year - beat Richmond in the opening round; be at least 3-3 after the first 6 games; try and win 2-3 games whilst Weitering was out etc. We nailed those mini milestones. Next year, there can't be any room for contentment or the notion of "we can afford to drop a game because we'll make finals" because 2022 will be the reference point for having achieved those mini-goals and still missing out on finals.

I feel like this is a long-winded ramble but geez, the way this season has progressed and ultimately ended really hurts. I just hope it strengthens the resilience of the group and makes them strive even further forward, rather than creating an ongoing doubt in their heads when the pressure is on in tight games.

I am still devastated this morning and want to nuke the whole world with me in it but I have to say this year was a pass …. but with a caveat.

WE HAVE TO LEARN EVERY LESSON FROM THIS YEAR!

I was heartened by Voss’ s press conference after the game …. said the boys were devastated … good, they better use it for a massive pre season.

For whatever reasons the footy gods did not want us to play finals this year. They sure as hell wanted the Pies to!
Where they had all the luck in the world we had all the bad luck, injuries, playing teams with supreme motivation to win (axed coaches, 150 anniversaries, horrid losses the week before with the spotlight on them from the media the whole week) and the umpires the last two weeks were putrid trying to prove a point to us. (I’ve tried to be non biased with the umpires this year but **** ‘‘em the last two weeks proved beyond a shadow of a doubt they are ****ing maggots. All said though we still should be playing finals because we did choke in both games.

From a player perspective in order for this season to be a success they need to start believing in themselves, understand that on their talent alone they can beat anyone but that won’t happen until they believe it themselves. Each and everyone of them need a massive preseason, no shortcuts.

From a coaching and recruiting point of view this year was all about identifying holes and fixing them for next season when I think our window actually opens. Don’t forget this time last year we were a basket case and from that point onwards we have actually looked like a football team on and off the park and for that I’m grateful. Been too long and you only need to look at * to remember where we were for such a long time.

From a fitness and conditioning point of view … heck … this is our biggest hole …. just don’t understand how a man with such success as AR can have so many seasons on bs injuries? I’m hoping it was the crap preaseasons we once had (making them prone to injury) and then upping the work rate (body weaker before it gets stronger) contributed and next year it will sort itself out. But this department definitely needs the spotlight on it.

we need a better psychology department get the players heads right. This year can either be the year that makes or breaks us, I’m betting it makes us.

Ps I forgot to say it yesterday but poor Cripps played a monster game want him to lift that cup.

We have 3-4 years open now, must get a flag within that time, go baggers … you broke my heart but I can only love you unconditionally.

• Martin missed 10 games
  • McGovern missed 15
  • Williams missed 13
  • Marchbank 18
  • Pittonet 14
  • Cuningham season
  • honey we barely got him going before he did a calf
  • Weiters missed 5 and was not the same when back
  • Saad clearly hampered. Walsh the same
  • Hewett missed 7
  • Kennedy missed 5
  • Boyd missed the last 8
  • McKay missed 3 but was hampered before and seems to be having shoulder problems again
  • Newman missed the last 4 (went off first half v Adelaide)
  • stocker and TDk missed months of the preseason (and it showed)
  • Cerra missed 4 games

Compare that to Pies
  • 16 guys played either every game or close to
  • Adam’s missed 5
  • Grundy missed most of the year
  • de Goey missed 6
  • Elliot missed 6

That’s it. Very close to their best side was on the park all year. No overlap in injuires to Elliot and De Goey. Only 1 game overlap in injury to De Goey and Adams. Full credit to their fitness crew. And professionalism of players.

It meant they got to practice in game situations all year. We need to determine how to get there with our list. THAT is the biggest gap by a mile.

We say this every offseason.

Need to cut a few of those injury prone players and continue to invest in fitness and conditioning.

No point having the best rehab group. We’re always “a few weeks away” from having our best side out there.

The reality of the AFL is that any season that does not win you a flag is a failure, so in general the best you can hope for is a mitigated or qualified failure; you have reasons to believe next year will be more successful than the last, based upon the available evidence. So, on that basis, we have every reason to think next year will we will improve.

Where we need to improve is the output of our wings and forward flanks. We are too easy to beat on the outside, and we dramatically need to find some goals from our forward flanks. The small forwards - Durdin, Owies, Honey, Motlop - are young (outside Owies, who is 25 and has only played 26 games) and need exposure and experience; it's too early really to declare any except Owies not up to it. A lack of genuine pace around the ball is compensated by having enough genuine pace through the front half that there is simply too many fast receivers to cover it defensively. It's how Collingwood beat us, their pace through the flanks across the board.

And I said this at the start of the season:
Oh, don't get me wrong. We're heaps better than we were last year. But if I had to look for things that were exactly the same, we still have between a quarter to a third of our list out of commission at any given time.

Until that is addressed, any coach at Carlton is going to suffer similar fates.
... and it remains true. I've been saying it since 2019.

Until we can start to have the runs with injury that Brisbane and Richmond have had, we are going to be perrenially disappointed.

When is not making finals and with a team capable of it a success. While we improved, results are what speaks and we failed to achieve that. As it turns out season 22 was a failure. That's the reality.
There's a single success condition in AFL, winning a flag. Making finals is not winning a flag.

Therefore, every team that does not win a flag even if they make finals has failed to succeed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Go on then, explain? That's what we thought I'm 2011 as well, and it was downhill from then on.

Docherty is 28. Saad, Cripps, Williams, McGovern and Martin are 27. Hewett, Marchbank and Kennedy are 26. Curnow, McKay, Weitering, Silvagni and Pittonet are 25.

Under 24 is what, Walsh and Cerra, and maybe O'Brien, and a bunch of late draft picks, mostly small forwards. But the absolute core of our list are peaking now. You don't get much better in list profile that that.

Still probably 2 years or so before we can expect that group to decline, but it is still a year of their primes wasted.

Just getting over the numbness of yesterday now. I'm incredibly interested in footy and obviously obsessed with Carlton, but i don't let footy get to me or upset me. It's something to enjoy instead of letting it eat you up. But yesterdays events just left me sorta numb, for the first time since we drafted Boekhorst 1st round lol. I wasn't angry this time but just sorta numb and gobsmacked that so many little important moments ALL went wrong for us in the last month.

Amazing stuff.

That being said, i finally felt ready to listen to Voss' post game presser (1st thing i've heard, seen or read since 6pm yesterday, besides attempting here late last night for about 2 mins lol).

What he said was what i wanted to hear. It's hard to put it into words but he explained(enough for me to understand clearly) that we stepped our work capacity up clearly this year as it needed to. That contributed to our fast start to the year, our injury problems, and our slow finish(despite 2 big unfruitful efforts to finish off with). And he said with steel in his eyes that that capacity will increase again, as it has to, and that the players will increasingly have a better base to handle that increase. That's what i thought/hoped was happening, and that is what actually was happening, right from the horses mouth. I think this team has the talent, the toughness, the coaching and the offield help. We just need to grow together and learn a new base work ethic together. We've begun that.

I like to fancy myself as a realist, and i judge this year as an exciting yet disappointing success. Because for the first time in 20 years i feel realness about our footy club and team. I never felt it in our last couple of finals teams, but i do now. I'm very upbeat about our next 5 or so years.

This year was a real stepping stone imho....and by geez, the hurt will be a big driver next pre-season and season.

As Voss said.

We’re going places and it’s going to be awesome. Look at the development from last year to this year, our young list, that we’re now a real club, not one going through the motions. Actually don’t think the playing list needs much change, would prefer on going to the draft. Would like to see the off season focus on fitness, composure and belief. That’s what cost us in the last 2 rounds.

Have paid for the 2023 membership - get on board.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I agree.
The current situation should suggest 2024 should be the time if it’s going to happen.

Next year must be a finals tilt (and hopefully win one), setting up for a shot the next 2-3 years after that.

A lot can happen though. If one or two of our critical players leave, etc.

But there’s a lot to work with. It must be a glass half full approach. I also believe a bitter taste of missing finals can be better than falling in then falling out Week 1 (though with Brisbane potentially missing a few, we would have been a shot).

Easy draw….??

We played Collingwood Freo and Richmond twice….there all above us on the ladder

We beat this season
Sydney, WB, Freo and Richmond who all finished above us….lost to Melb and pies by a collective goal.

Yes we should have played finals but gee whiz I don’t get that easy draw stuff…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Plus we played Brisbane at the Gabba

Failure.

We went into the final four games needing just one win...we lost all four and fell out of the 8.
Yes there were positives this season but after a good start 8-2... finals had to be achieved...we went 4-8 from that point....disappointing end to the season.

At the start of the year, if we got offered 12 wins, I would have thought we had a good season. If you adjust your expectations based on how the first half of the year went, then we all feel disappointed and have a taste of failure.
It is important to understand that different teams have different peak periods and ours happened to be at the start.

I thought we lost some key tall defenders for periods of time and Young and Co managed to maintain a solid base.
End of the season, we had our midfield hit a little hard and struggled to cover their losses.

On a whole, many players improved in their development and this is a good sign moving forward. On purely a win/loss look, we're around the mark I thought we would achieve at the start of the season and one spot on the ladder away from where I predicted.

Totally agree because of how we nosedived in the second half of the season, and we had injuries I know but just like in the last two matches, we were in a position to win games at times but didn`t go on with it. I think Charlie & Harry need to step up and kick clutch goals in big games instead of lairising by kicking around corners when they are quite close in like a couple of school boys. It was almost like the bigger occasion got to us at times in the matches that we could have won!!! The team started out this season with a really fresh attacking attitude, but ended up feeling like they lost their way and went into their shell.....does the coach have a plan "B" or is he a one trick pony? o_O

There's a single success condition in AFL, winning a flag. Making finals is not winning a flag.

Therefore, every team that does not win a flag even if they make finals has failed to succeed.

Yeah but when the goal is to at least make finals and we don't achieve that, it's a failure. To win a flag you need to make the finals. Enough spin.

Yeah but when the goal is to at least make finals and we don't achieve that, it's a failure. To win a flag you need to make the finals. Enough spin.
I've called the season a failure on the same ****ing page. The point of the post you just quoted was that this season was a failure.

What the utter bug**** are you even talking about?

If 9th is a success to people stop watching the sport

Define success?

Are you the kind of parent that tells their kid, unless you're the top at school, you're a failure?

Success for Carlton

1. Game structure actually starting to make sense, it has been years since we've had a Carlton style of play
2. Development outside of natural development. Guys like Kennedy and LOB that in my mind were out the door, actually look like AFL players.
3. Improved win loss ratio compared to last year.
4. Hope for many supporters that has been missing for a long time.

Maybe missing out on making the finals will be the bitter pill many players will hold onto during the preseason.
We certainly have something to work on with regards to finishing games, that also comes with experience. Collingwood at its core has a very experienced list, Carlton's is starting to build towards a core group of experienced players.

Remove this Banner Ad

No Oppo Supporters 2022 Season - Season in review

Remove this Banner Ad

Back