2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Genuine question relating the draft bid matching rules, how many list spots that correlate to draft picks, do you believe you’ll be able to take to the draft at the end of the year?

Genuine question relating the draft bid matching rules, how many list spots that correlate to draft picks, do you believe you’ll be able to take to the draft at the end of the year?
Realistically I reckon we would open at least 4-5 spots. With our draft hand it won’t be as many as the Lions did with the Ashcroft and Fletcher

Realistically I reckon we would open at least 4-5 spots. With our draft hand it won’t be as many as the Lions did with the Ashcroft and Fletcher
We only took 4 picks to the draft. We then traded two picks, 36 & 63 (+ two future 3rd round picks) on the night for four picks, 40, 41, 50 & 52. 614 points for 1360.

The Bulldogs did something similar the year before.

The AFL has stopped teams from being able to take excess picks to the draft, but it still allows teams to trade for excess picks on the night and use them on the night.

So, I see more value in taking early picks to the draft, having deals lined up and then trading those early picks for many more points on the night of the draft. Let other clubs carry the extra picks/points you need in to this years draft.

Looking at our list I think we can now be very selective in what we aim to trade for. I think our next draft we take the 3 academy lads only. As far as list needs go I wonder what we are planning. Tall fwds- plenty (maybe too many) mids- plenty, tall defenders- ok if Graham and Andrew come on this year, small defenders- good if weller, Powell, Buderick stay fit, small fwds- ok if rosas improves but think another wouldn't hurt.
In my opinion a good outside skilful player is what we need. Ellis is on his last legs and sharp probably goes. Will day is an obvious target and jade Gresham is a free agent, these are the 2 I hope we are already chatting to.

Looking at our list I think we can now be very selective in what we aim to trade for. I think our next draft we take the 3 academy lads only. As far as list needs go I wonder what we are planning. Tall fwds- plenty (maybe too many) mids- plenty, tall defenders- ok if Graham and Andrew come on this year, small defenders- good if weller, Powell, Buderick stay fit, small fwds- ok if rosas improves but think another wouldn't hurt.
In my opinion a good outside skilful player is what we need. Ellis is on his last legs and sharp probably goes. Will day is an obvious target and jade Gresham is a free agent, these are the 2 I hope we are already chatting to.
Like both these targets. Gresham in particular might not fancy a "reset" at St Kilda

Regarding an outside player, maybe start working on Olly Hollands? We will likely lose our first rounder in 2024 on Nancarrow and Lombard anyway. Some Carlton fans were talking about how he would help them get his brother, maybe the turn the tables?

Ben mckay would take us from playing finals. To premiership contender for 5 years to come alongside Collo

Ben mckay would take us from playing finals. To premiership contender for 5 years to come alongside Collo
Agreed, but Crab has a fantastic chance. Because if he works out, it's a bargain. Job's on for Collins and Ballard to improve as well, to be really consistently their best. But early talks surely...

Agree on McKay, just not sure how we could out bid other teams with our current pay structure. I think there will be a bidding war for his services and I can't see us over paying for anyone.

You say that now… but as what happened with Grundy..

Sign a 7yr 7million dollar deal as an all australian ruck to be told 2 years later by the Club.
we don’t want you…

Clubs view things differently every 12months depends on there chance of winning it all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ben McKay out for the start of the year with a stress injury in his foot, not a good sign

How much do we offer?

We need him. Or another elite 200cm+ big-bodied key defender. We would be a different side if we had one. How much can we afford? Just as important, how much can we not afford to get a player like him? I wish we had one this year. Although, Casboult is here, but no one seems to be considering him.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We need him. Or another elite 200cm+ big-bodied key defender. We would be a different side if we had one. How much can we afford? Just as important, how much can we not afford to get a player like him? I wish we had one this year. Although, Casboult is here, but no one seems to be considering him.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Casboult will be down back at some point. An injury to Sam or God Forbid, Graham and we have no other real option. Maybe Sam Day but we are certainly deficient in one KPD for sure - arguably two.

Give it 3 years and Crab will be a better player than Ben McKay at the same age. There, I said it!!

Give it 3 years and Crab will be a better player than Ben McKay at the same age. There, I said it!!
Let's see how Brock goes this year. He is still only a potential but is my sleeper. 198cm, 90kg (needs 2 more years), got great closing speed, great kick, and at the end of last year started to read the game well.

Let's see how Brock goes this year. He is still only a potential but is my sleeper. 198cm, 90kg (needs 2 more years), got great closing speed, great kick, and at the end of last year started to read the game well.
Want to see him develop some consistency.

He has potential to be a taller Jordan Ridley type.

Has a Sam Taylor / Harris Andrews body type. So guess that’s something to aim for.

Don’t think he’s going to ever be your thick set Ben McKay / Noah Balta full back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back