Game Day 2023 AFL Draft Live discussion Rd1, 2-4 and Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can have 2, I think we have 3 as Clohesy was NGA plus Mullins and Furphy, so one takes a regular rookie slot.

Furphy has been Tsap'd taking Mitch Edwards. Seems a bit pointless now unless he is miraculously ready to play from day one.

Not really.
Afl side will be stanley and blicavs (when fit).
Vfl side will be neale chf and edwards FF/r2.
Conway will be the lead ruck in the 2s til he usurps stanley and they swap spots.
It probably just means either furphy or foster develop as key defenders which we need anyway as our vfl side was very short on kpds.

Complete bullshit that we passed on the last pick, I wanted to see what weird and wonderful places Wellsy would have gone. Banno 2nds. Sydney Uni thirds. Some kid from Nauru. Now we’re just going to end up picking someone from the SANFL in the MSD.

The slight issue ..is all the plus 30's are probably still best 23.

Nah some will drop out like menegola did this year (i know that was injury related but still) and how higgins and dahl did the year before etc.

Tuohy a big chance to play 2s with knevitt and now mannagh options for the MF/wing spots.

Rohan under pressure with all of henry dempsey and now manmagh and wiltshire genuine hff options.

I think bews will drop out but we dont have an obvious like for like replacement there probably mullin and we reshuffle (someone like oconnor becomes the lockdown small).

Conway to develop his engine to take over from stanley and cos to phase kolo out (although that one might take 2-3 years). Blicavs and danger will be the trickiest to replace (clark will play a lot this year though as will knevitt) but otherwise its easy to see where the transition comes from.

Nah some will drop out like menegola did this year (i know that was injury related but still) and how higgins and dahl did the year before etc.

Tuohy a big chance to play 2s with knevitt and now mannagh options for the MF/wing spots.

Rohan under pressure with all of henry dempsey and now manmagh and wiltshire genuine hff options.

I think bews will drop out but we dont have an obvious like for like replacement there probably mullin and we reshuffle (someone like oconnor becomes the lockdown small).

Conway to develop his engine to take over from stanley and cos to phase kolo out (although that one might take 2-3 years). Blicavs and danger will be the trickiest to replace (clark will play a lot this year though as will knevitt) but otherwise its easy to see where the transition comes from.
O'Connor doesn't have the defensive nous that Bews at his best did but he is still progressing year on year and is generally solid when given a role. Thus I similarly hope they send him to a back pocket/back flank role lined up against a small each and every week. We don't need him in the mids anymore or on the wing.

Rohan is someone we now must manage like the burst player he is. That might mean a 2 games on, 1 game off schedule. Maybe a couple of games as sub. Have him cherry ripe for the run home. O.Henry for the marking and Dempsey/Mannagh for the pressure/pace can cover his absence.

Stanley we know misses a bunch of games. Blicavs primary ruck with Neale as back up, or Conway primary ruck with Blicavs as back up - these options can work.

Hawkins and Blicavs 22 game every home and away season type durability is probably a thing of the past. So there's another 8 to 10 games to split between midfielders/forwards respectively. This year for instance we still managed to get a bunch of games to Simpson/Dempsey.

If Henry, Kolo or SDK are injured maybe we roll the dice on young O'Sullivan depending on his size, conditioning and form. I could see him getting 5 or 6 games to build on in 2025.

I'd actually go the other way, I'd say all of our picks have huge boom or bust potential, with the boom being superstar status.

Easy to say because he's the highest pick, but O'Sullivan looks to have All Australian talent, and we could end up having the best two key defenders in the game in 3-5 years.

I think Mannagh has huge potential to be a really significant in for us, and Edwards is the type of player who could be the best ruckman in the game one day, but it's going to take a while.

Stevens is boom or bust, which is often the case with these players. They're either Jansen or JPK, with not a lot inbetween....but if he does work out, I think it'll be as a star - as it's the way these big bodied mids seem to turn out if it goes your way.

Humphries & Wiltshire look like they just ooze class, and feel like they'll either bust, or be another "How the hell did they find THAT guy!?" players.
Not saying Stevens will be Josh Kennedy but Jansen never ended up racking up the ball in the VFL. He was a big body but in the end I'm not sure how footy smart he was.

Will be interesting to watch Stevens but I'm expecting he will collecting more of the pill at least.

Yes but furphy as a cat b means clohesy has to go to the cat a list (as we now have 3 cat bs not 2)
Max list size is 44
We have 37 senior list (31 plus cos edwards mannagh stevens wiltshire and humphries)
4 cat a (dempsey murdoch hardie clohesy)
2 cat b (mullin furphy)
=43

The last list spot is technically a senior list spot that we could use in the psd but we will just pass in psd and have 5 cat a rookies instead.
We will either use the pick at the rookie draft today or more likely save it for the ssp.

Don't think this is technically right PO.

Posted this in the past, but rookie rules have changed and you can have up to 3 Cat B rookies - not just 2 anymore.

Category B rookies

Each club is permitted to recruit up to three "Category B" rookies. Category B rookies are recruited directly rather than drafted, and represent players from non-traditional recruiting backgrounds.

From what Wells said in his post draft interview it sounds like one is being upgraded so we'll take a rook today. Means we'll still have 3 Cat A and 3 Cat B. Reckon Dempsey is the one who gets upgraded, and Clohesy, Furphy and Mullin all stay as Cat B.

The way the game is trending my biggest concern is the lack of quick small defenders. Mullin is very important to us that he can improve quickly as he is the exact player we need. Playing slow guys like Duncan and Bowes as defenders is a recipe for disaster against the good teams who burn you out the back.

Noticed Collingwood selected quick guys again. It's all about speed for them and some other clubs.

Don't think this is technically right PO.

Posted this in the past, but rookie rules have changed and you can have up to 3 Cat B rookies - not just 2 anymore.

Category B rookies

Each club is permitted to recruit up to three "Category B" rookies. Category B rookies are recruited directly rather than drafted, and represent players from non-traditional recruiting backgrounds.

From what Wells said in his post draft interview it sounds like one is being upgraded so we'll take a rook today. Means we'll still have 3 Cat A and 3 Cat B. Reckon Dempsey is the one who gets upgraded, and Clohesy, Furphy and Mullin all stay as Cat B.
Dempsey has been I understand

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why wasn't Mannagh and Wilshire identified in the Mid Season draft in the last 2 years.???

Wiltshire could barely make the falcons squad 2 years ago so no one was drafting him hes a late developer.

As for mannagh sounds like we were looking at him all year and hoped hed get through as a rookie but that ship sailed..in hindsight we should have taken him in the msd but glad we did now.

Dempsey has been I understand

I dont think dempsey has been upgraded as it was never announced and if we had we wouldnt have been able to pass our last pick last night.
I think we just have 1 senior spot left (which we can pass and turn into a rookie spot) and 6 rookies btw cat a and b.

Anyone want to post a best 22 (23) for 2024 or is that more isolated thread worthy?

Interested to hear people's thoughts?

I'll post something a little different - a Best 23, end of 2024; rather than at the start of pre-season.

Personally think Duncan, Rohan, Danger and Hawk will be there if we make Finals - but the rest of the vets will be pushed out if we're to make a real statement.

My 'out on a limb' 2024 pre-finals (if we make it) side:

B: Zuthrie, SDK, J. Henry
HB: T. Stewart, O'Sullivan, Duncan
C: Holmes, T. Atkins, Mannagh
FO: Conway, Danger, C. Guthrie
HF: O. Henry, J. Cameron, Miers
F: Stengle, Hawkins, Close
INT: Blics, Bruhn, Rohan, J. Clark
Sub: Dempsey

EMG: Kolo, Bowes, Stanley, O'Connor

Next up -

Tuohy
Knevitt
S. Neale
Mullin
Parfitt
Bews
Clohesy
G. Stevens

I dont think dempsey has been upgraded as it was never announced and if we had we wouldnt have been able to pass our last pick last night.
I think we just have 1 senior spot left (which we can pass and turn into a rookie spot) and 6 rookies btw cat a and b.

Wells said something to this effect in his post draft interview on Zero Hanger. They obviously waited until the senior draft was done, and now they'll upgrade Dempsey so they can take a rook today.

Definitely wasn't done before yesterday, but when asked, Wells said he'll check with Mack, but that's likely what we'll do. Now it appears CHAWKTS has confirmed that too.

The way the game is trending my biggest concern is the lack of quick small defenders. Mullin is very important to us that he can improve quickly as he is the exact player we need. Playing slow guys like Duncan and Bowes as defenders is a recipe for disaster against the good teams who burn you out the back.

Noticed Collingwood selected quick guys again. It's all about speed for them and some other clubs.

Thought we might target a lockdown small defender late such as Philactides but he wasn't taken by anyone. Lawson Humphries could provide run and carry from Def 50 but looks more a playmaker.

It's certainly still a deficiency on our list unless Mullin comes through quickly.

I'll post something a little different - a Best 23, end of 2024; rather than at the start of pre-season.

Personally think Duncan, Rohan, Danger and Hawk will be there if we make Finals - but the rest of the vets will be pushed out if we're to make a real statement.

My 'out on a limb' 2024 pre-finals (if we make it) side:

B: Zuthrie, SDK, J. Henry
HB: T. Stewart, O'Sullivan, Duncan
C: Holmes, T. Atkins, Mannagh
FO: Conway, Danger, C. Guthrie
HF: O. Henry, J. Cameron, Miers
F: Stengle, Hawkins, Close
INT: Blics, Bruhn, Rohan, J. Clark
Sub: Dempsey

EMG: Kolo, Bowes, Stanley, O'Connor

Next up -

Tuohy
Knevitt
S. Neale
Mullin
Parfitt
Bews
Clohesy
G. Stevens
Very bold to predict for 24 rounds! Well done

Given it is a prediction based on unknown injury and form it is hard to argue definitively. What I can say is that if you just a finals teams by the 6 that miss out - this looks like a very good team (4 premiership players from 2022 missing out!)

From my perspective I would be less bold on Mannagh. Hoping you are right (as it really puts pressure on) but I would swap in Knevitt as another preseason (and I believe a couple of extra cm in height he has now) really gives him the edge I think. If Mannagh pushes someone out - due to his speed - it could be a small.

I hope you are right with O’Sullivan - I have no concept at how quickly he adapts. It took SDK to year 3 (and a spot open up with retirements) whereas OS needs to push our coach favourite Kolo.

The only other one I question in the team is Rohan. Obvioulsy if he is fully fit and has the same pace/intensity then he is valuable - I just see him falling of the cliff potentially.

Good exercise worthy of a thread at some stage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back