Game Day 2023 AFL Draft Live discussion Rd1, 2-4 and Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mannagh will play round 1 imo (probably goes in my sc team too). Which will put some of the over 30s on their toes.

Stevens should dominate the vfl next year.

I think he’ll be one of a few gunning for the spot opened up with Smith’s retirement or with Tuohy being pushed out.

Stevens needs to just get his frame a bit leaner. And be power training to improve his acceleration. He will be an interesting watch.

No i think we wanted simpson at our r4 we were just hoping he would get through whereas we knew mannagh wasnt getting past the 40s. If we had an extra pick we would likely have grabbed them both.

I don't think Simpson was ever going to make it to our Pick 58.

I think if Wells is saying that Mannagh was a 'priority', then Simpson wasn't as high up the board as some of the others.

If we'd really wanted both we could have just taken Simpson instead of Edwards, and then Mannagh. I guess Freo may have traded up for Mannagh then, so it could be similar to the SDK/Georgiades situation in 2019, IMO.

What hes really saying without saying it is they were keen all year and wanted him as a rookie but after the GF that became impossible as we knew someone else would take him soon after our pick so it became the priority to get him early.
Should have taken him mid-year and not Mitch Hardie... That way we'd have Mannagh on the list already and get to use that #36 on another player.

I really do not see Hardie getting a sniff of playing in this side now... He'd need to have a crazy good preseason.

Humphries looks an exciting prospect could be a good running defender. Has already travelled overseas, moved schools to get a better chance to get drafted, captained his school team and been in the eagles and indigenous academies.
You would think the so called Home Sickness won't be a issue by reading that

I said we didnt rate the young mid depth... as in the 18 year olds.

Oh my bad i thought you were saying we didnt address the midfield. We have. Just differently.

Should have taken him mid-year and not Mitch Hardie... That way we'd have Mannagh on the list already and get to use that #36 on another player.

I really do not see Hardie getting a sniff of playing in this side now... He'd need to have a crazy good preseason.
They chose the best player at the time. They thought it was Hardie.

And we usually take SA picks in the draft and they got wiped cause the SA recruiter has been demoted in his say!

This reminds me very much of our 2016 draft - which is what I was hoping would happen given it completely re-opened our flag window again.

Readymade (will play a full season as soon as 2025 and some games next year) swingman KPD/KPF/3rd tall in O'Sullivan - tick

Readymade inside beast in Stevens - tick

26 year old readymade inside/outside mature age mid/winger/goal kicker in Mannagh - tick

Developing highly touted ruck with possible scope as a key forward down the track in Edwards - tick

Ex Falcon and mature age goalkicker, averaging 3 goals a game, and a Premiership player/runner up B+F for Barwon Heads in Wiltshire - tick

Mature age inside/outside midfielder with good decision making in Humphries - tick

Clearly no long term rebuild here. Keep picking the diamonds in the rough and keep one eye on the future while also being present in the 'now.'

Solid draft!

Also shows we thought the draft was thin. Which fits with what we've heard multiple recruiters say.

It makes sense with covid that some of the 2020-2021 draft class fell through the cracks. Hopefully Wiltshire and Humphries are the right picks. And Mannagh just looks too good for VFL so deserves a shot. They're highly speculative picks but you can't criticise them for not looking outside the box.

Thats a fair point. And in a think draft you d0 need to take some outside the box picks like we did with dempsey. Hopefully this works.

Yes we should have taken him mid year but correcting the error tonight was the right call. It will help our side a lot in 2024.

As for hardie he could still play as we need middle aged mids however he would need a big pre season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So now our 2025 side is looking a lot more interesting post draft. Could possibly look something like this:

B: O'Connor, SDK, J. Henry
HB: T. Stewart, C. O'Sullivan, Zuthrie
C: Holmes, T. Atkins, Mannagh
FO: Conway, C. Guthrie, Bruhn
HF: O. Henry, S. Neale, Miers
F: Stengle, J. Cameron, Close
INT: Blics, Knevitt, J. Clark, Bowes
Sub: Dempsey

EMG: Kolo, Mullin, G. Stevens, M. Edwards

Obviously have next year's trade and draft period which I think we'll go hard at after a stack of retirements, but a lot more healthy balance moving forward, IMO.

Last edited:
You would think the so called Home Sickness won't be a issue by reading that
I mean anything can happen but he seems a pretty mature guy who has made some moves already out of his hometown to find experiences that many kids his age would struggle with.
Would assume he’s also got strong family and/or community behind him to support him with all that.
Laid some big tackles in the highlights and looks to have some good speed. We certainly need some small defenders with pace.

Posted this in the Edwards thread but posting here too - Edwards is a massive Cats fan which I did not see coming.

Bodes very well retention wise. Him and Conway will be a 1/2 punch to be reckoned with if they live up to their hype. Edwards very much in the TDK mould being able to play forward - but a far superior tap ruckman.

Posted this in the Edwards thread but posting here too - Edwards is a massive Cats fan which I did not see coming.

Bodes very well retention wise. Him and Conway will be a 1/2 punch to be reckoned with if they live up to their hype. Edwards very much in the TDK mould being able to play forward - but a far superior tap ruckman.

I wonder whether we see him as a guy who can potentially be played as a key forward?

Calling it now: COS and Mannagh are in our Round 1 team next year
Along with Clark, and I think Knevitt & Dempsey are huge chances as well.

Conway's a chance if he has a big summer and beats out Stanley, likewise Neale if we want to go tall in the forward line.

You'd think SDK, Holmes, Henry, & Bruhn will already be there, while Zuthrie, Jack Henry, Close, Stengle, Bowes, & Miers are all still ascending and considered 'young' so to speak.

Health will decide our season, and I believe if we stay healthy we'll start to see the depth that we all thought we were going to have last year.

It's that youthful exuberance that has me so excited though, and it looks like our next premiership side is really starting to take shape.

Throw in a Cadman, Smith, and/or some Duggan, Florent types and we're away.

Last edited:

Wouldn't that be awesome? Miss on TDK, and end up with the best ruck duo in the league anyway in Conway & Edwards.

It's probably 5 years away at minimum, but it'll be worth the wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back