Player Watch 2024 AFL Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Same rules as every other year.

This isn’t the thread to talk about your ladder predictions or declarations of how interested you are in the draft in response to a win/loss, nor is it the thread to declare who you want to trade for.
Those posts will be deleted.

Talk about the kids in the draft.

A big return to form this week for Smillie, racking up the disposals and kicking a couple of goals to help his Eastern Ranges overcome a Pioneers team that they found tough to crack on the day.

A big return to form this week for Smillie, racking up the disposals and kicking a couple of goals to help his Eastern Ranges overcome a Pioneers team that they found tough to crack on the day.

I’ve seen some say he’s a great athlete and some say he’s slow. what are your thoughts? Is he slow?

I’ve seen some say he’s a great athlete and some say he’s slow. what are your thoughts? Is he slow?
He measures high in agility testing, but medium in 20m sprint. I think you can see this play out in his game. He can step through traffic really well, or shark a tap at speed and turn a corner quickly to straighten up for damaging kick into the forward line. He doesnt regularly blast away from congestion, but he has enough pace to get separation for a clean disposal.

I generally feel as though the measurables are only a small part of the equation anyway. Anticipation and reaction speed are more important for me, and I think Smillie has those in spades.

He measures high in agility testing, but medium in 20m sprint. I think you can see this play out in his game. He can step through traffic really well, or shark a tap at speed and turn a corner quickly to straighten up for damaging kick into the forward line. He doesnt regularly blast away from congestion, but he has enough pace to get separation for a clean disposal.

I generally feel as though the measurables are only a small part of the equation anyway. Anticipation and reaction speed are more important for me, and I think Smillie has those in spades.

It's weird. I love everything until the result.
Perfect body for the game, natural mover, smells where its going, good enough on the collect, looks like he'd be dangerous floating forward to take a mark.....
But sheesh, handballs that go directly to the opposition, fairly lazy lean back kicking motion that doesn't favor teammates or isn't put into space for them to run on to. Also, very little explosive movement, more clever and wily to create room but not sure that translates well enough at AFL level.
Reminds me of early Mundy, everything looks good in the getting but the relative butchery when in an advantaged position really worries me for the Hawks at least.
WANT to like the kid more as one more really great contested mid would round us out but not sure Smillie is the one I'd give up a top pick 6 for as I'm hoping we won't be drafting at that pointy end much longer.

It's weird. I love everything until the result.
Perfect body for the game, natural mover, smells where its going, good enough on the collect, looks like he'd be dangerous floating forward to take a mark.....
But sheesh, handballs that go directly to the opposition, fairly lazy lean back kicking motion that doesn't favor teammates or isn't put into space for them to run on to. Also, very little explosive movement, more clever and wily to create room but not sure that translates well enough at AFL level.
Reminds me of early Mundy, everything looks good in the getting but the relative butchery when in an advantaged position really worries me for the Hawks at least.
WANT to like the kid more as one more really great contested mid would round us out but not sure Smillie is the one I'd give up a top pick 6 for as I'm hoping we won't be drafting at that pointy end much longer.
That's a fair analysis. For me, I consistently see kids transformed from just one pre-season in an AFL system. The laziness is cut, everything gets sharper and more focused. At this stage I'm more interested in the raw materials. Clubs will lean on the interview process to determine if the mental attributes are there but as draft watchers we miss out on that.

For Smillie I see:
  • size and strength
  • quick reaction times and quick and clean hands around the contest
  • nice movement through congestion, balance when moving and light feet which let him change direction and avoid tacklers
  • footy IQ to find heaps of the ball on the spread
  • an instinct to get forward and kick goals from midfield
  • a fluid kicking action that can get lazy as you say but should tighten up and become a weapon at the next level. when he punches through it he gets nice penetration.

What a crazy performance from Jagga, 50 disposals! Whenever someone racks up a ton of the footy there will always be scepticism about how effective they were, and there were some junk possessions in here for sure as Jagga can struggle to hit targets when under pressure. But largely his use was tidy by hand and foot, and more importantly he was a massive influence in the 4th quarter when his Chargers team mounted a huge comeback kicking goal after goal with Jagga involved in almost every scoring chain.

Apologies for the lack of sound, the broadcast had none for some reason.

He might not be available to draft for another year, but Sharp has no problems matching it with the older kids on the biggest junior stage of all. Sharp split his time between half back and on ball. When played through the middle he was relentless at stoppage winning clearances driving the ball forward. He laid a number of strong tackles, some of which forced turnovers. His football IQ and work rate allows him to move to where he needs to be a step ahead of the play and his opponent.

We have to start talking about Lombard as a legit top 5 pick if not a pick 1 contender. No player has been better performed this season than Leo, no player is more dangerous and damaging with ball in hand. He setup as more of an outside receiver in this game on the attacking side of the contest and consistently found space for linking chains, either setting up his teammates or finishing himself.

We have to start talking about Lombard as a legit top 5 pick if not a pick 1 contender. No player has been better performed this season than Leo, no player is more dangerous and damaging with ball in hand. He setup as more of an outside receiver in this game on the attacking side of the contest and consistently found space for linking chains, either setting up his teammates or finishing himself.

I don't know about you but I'm really happy Gold Coast have access to another top 5 prospect through their academy. Really happy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Urquhart was WA's best on the day, his size and competitiveness was influential at stoppage and he was typically damaging with his penetrating right boot. He played 100% midfield in this game which is different to his typical role at Colts level where he rests in the forward line, and he did fade in the second half which coincided with the Allies getting on top of the territory battle.

Another huge game from the Lone Ranger Jagga Smith as he racked up 40 disposals to make it 90 in the last two games. We might be entering record setting territory here. At the very least Jagga is in the hottest of hot form entering his first 2024 Champs game for Vic Metro this coming weekend. He couldn't have done any more to inspire his Chargers team and drive them forward, but they still came up short and lost yet another game in a disappointing Talent League campaign.

A prolific disposal game from Cooper Hynes who also hit the scoreboard at a pivotal moment in the 4th quarter to help his Stingrays get up in a tightly contested game. He remains something of a polarizing prospect. His numbers as a mid and a forward are excellent. He has a large frame, excellent level of competitiveness and repeat efforts, but only average stoppage impact and raw skill level at times.

A prolific disposal game from Cooper Hynes who also hit the scoreboard at a pivotal moment in the 4th quarter to help his Stingrays get up in a tightly contested game. He remains something of a polarizing prospect. His numbers as a mid and a forward are excellent. He has a large frame, excellent level of competitiveness and repeat efforts, but only average stoppage impact and raw skill level at times.

His speed and breakaway from congestion are nice traits for AFL imo.

Know his dad John. Played a few games for Carlton in the late 90's. Played some good footy for Frankston in the VFL after that

With Vic Country playing their first champs game on the weekend it's time to take a closer look at the talented Lachie Jaques. Lachie is an intercepting and rebounding defender from the Geelong Falcons who's still flying a bit under the radar even though he's putting together a prolific campaign. He's strong overhead which allows him to play taller than his listed 184cm height, and has tidy foot skills.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch 2024 AFL Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back