Player Watch 2024 AFL Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Same rules as every other year.

This isn’t the thread to talk about your ladder predictions or declarations of how interested you are in the draft in response to a win/loss, nor is it the thread to declare who you want to trade for.
Those posts will be deleted.

Talk about the kids in the draft.

The top key forward prospect in this draft entering the season is finally back after missing the first two months of the season through injury, and he immediately shows everyone what they've been missing with a bag of five goals.

I’m dreaming of a “Fall” Xmas this draft. Jonty Faull and Harry O’Farrell.

VIC Metro vs Allies on now to be followed by VIC Country vs SA if anyone is keen to watch. Most of the best kids playing today. O’Sullivan injured but won’t be available to us anyway as a top 3 pick. Ashcroft, Smyllie and Smith all playing well. Like the look of the 2 talls (both 194cm and move well) Shanahan and Trainor, both looking good even in the wet.

Jagga was the high possession winner in the game and one of Metro's best performed on the day. He did his best work early when the weather was a mess. Other players were slipping and sliding around, fumbling the footy, but Jagga was clean as a whistle and helped Metro dominate through the midfield.

Early favourites from me, not because I'm watching them play but just based on names and vibes:

Jagga Smith
Nash King
Malakai Champion

Jagga Smith and Nash King sound like names of a rockstar duo.

Malakai Champion sounds like some medieval warrior.

I love these unique names. Here are some absolute classics from the recent NFL draft:

"Kool-Aid" McKinstry
Ladd McConkey
Chop Robinson
Bub Means

Plus plenty more:
Jer'Zhan
Ja'Lynn
T'Vondre

Jalyx
McKinnley
Kamren
Ty'Ron
Tykee
Marist
Tip
Delmar Glaze

Malachi
Bralen
Trevin
Andru
Ennis

Ja'Tavion
Dadrion
Khyree
Decamerion
Devontez
Bucky
Nehemiah
Tarheeb
Ainias
Deantre
Chau
Edefuan
Kitan
Daijahn
Qwan'Tez
Kimani
Jha'Quan
Jawhar
Beaux

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Smillie started the game well, reasonably clean in the wet conditions and influential in creating or finishing a number of scoring opportunities for Metro. He faded as the game went on, and spent a lot of the final quarter on the bench so hopefully he hasn't picked up a knock.

A solid step up for Sid who was one of SA's best in this game. He was back to somewhere near his explosive and damaging best, regularly surging away from opponents with attacking and direct play. His impact at stoppage is improving week by week and he was better able to run out the full game.

I'm putting his defensive work on watch though. He didn't look interested in chasing and his tackling pressure was non-existent.

Why does it seem like the majority of talent is coming through the GC academy rather than the Lions?

Southport has always been a strong for footy talent. Southport Sharks always very competitive in the QLD league.
SouthEast Queensland was certainly one of the strongest area for population grown in the country, and with this comes young kids

Excitingly, seems like a bunch of talls could be there about with our pick. Faull, Trainor, etc.

I wonder how much the emergence of Dear and the form of Scaife (assuming he continues to show good signs at Box Hill) would impact our outlook for the upcoming draft. Suddenly KPF isn't as much of an urgent pressing need. I'm sure we'd be going highest rated talent anyway.

Just watched the Vic Metro v Allies.
For metro, As of now Jagga Smith right there for #1 pick. So clean 1 touch excellent user and decision maker. Josh Smilie will be very good and maybe the most upside although FOS didn’t play. Liked Murphy Reid good skills and evasive. Grego impressed me but as a hbf very similar to Bodie Ryan. Love Harry o Farrell good defender good skills.
For allies first suns can GAGF have touk miller 2.0 in Leo Lombard and bodhi uwlands brother in 2025 who’s better. Liked Oliver Depaoli-Kubank although as a crafty forward we are probably ok there. Jobe Shanahan will be a very good KPF.
Based on that I’m not only keen to keep our first but add another. Another developing KP and would love Jaffa if his size makes him slip to our first.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back