Player Watch 2023 AFL Draft Pool Discussion Thread

Who would you prefer we pick with our first pick?

• Nick Watson

Votes: 149 36.4%
  • Zane Duursma

Votes: 136 33.3%
  • Colby McKercher

Votes: 50 12.2%
  • Daniel Curtin

Votes: 51 12.5%
  • Nate Caddy

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • Conor O'Sullivan

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • Ryley Sanders

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Darcy Wilson

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Same rule applies to this thread as other years, keep it on topic about the kids.
Don’t get bogged down on what other teams might do or where they will finish.

Trade speculation belongs here.

That's also where you can discuss your mock drafts or pick trades.

Any McCabe, Dear or Maginness talk belongs here.

Last edited by a moderator:

The best part is that anyone can say “yes”, and no one can prove otherwise. 😂
That's true, but I probably should have worded it better. If Watson hasn't grown for a few years then the likelihood of him growing now is small. However, if he has been growing over the last few years then the chance of him continuing to grow is more likely.

Daniel was drafted at 167cm and grew four cms post draft. Does anyone know the likelihood that Watson may continue to grow also?
Let me consult the scientific literature on this subject…
Season 3 Message GIF by The Simpsons

Footy has changed. Weddle is taller than Don Scott who was our TOTC ruck

On Watson, his height won't be an issue if he has other elite skills. Caleb Daniel can make it, then anyone can
Daniel is a good player. But I remember U18 reviews calling him a short Gary Ablett Jnr. He doesn’t play midfield at AFL level and is not someone clubs would use a top 5 pick on.

That’s the issue with Watson. Looks amazing at U18 level but he’d have to make history to have a career worthy of a top 5 pick. Been a long time since someone close to his height has been. Not impossible, but statistically improbable

The issue isn't whether Watson will make it. The issue is would he be able to make the transition to an AFL midfielder or play exclusively as a small forward, and would a team (us) spend a top 5 pick on him and take that risk.
Would you spend a top five pick on Cyril Rioli?

I don't know how Watson will go at AFL level but he has/will dominate u18 level for 2 years.

Will be facinating to see where he is picked.

I don't think we have seen a player his size be so impressive as a junior.

I don't know how Watson will go at AFL level but he has/will dominate u18 level for 2 years.

I would prefer that we don't use our first top 3 pick in about 20 years on him, but if we manage to jag another decent pick i'm all for using it on the Wiz

Rioli is one of the best tacklers to ever play the game. His size was never an issue or never in question.

If Watson cannot make the move into the midfield at AFL level then he will be playing as a forward. He will be the most interesting prospect and pick IMO, I'd love to know what clubs are thinking.

Rioli is one of the best tacklers to ever play the game. His size was never an issue or never in question.

If Watson cannot make the move into the midfield at AFL level then he will be playing as a forward. He will be the most interesting prospect and pick IMO, I'd love to know what clubs are thinking.
I had a chat to a club scout about him before the season started and he was a big fan and after I mentioned about his height and Unlikelihood of going top 10, didn’t seem to phase him at all, his skills, x-factor, tackling etc outweighed all else. Was looking forward to see how he coped with more midfield minutes in the season to come.

This size thing again! Seriously, people need to understand that Watson is brilliant in the air and on the ground. Will trouble the scorers from day dot , make no mistake, he'll go top 3-5.
Still needs to make history as a one off to justify going top 3-5. He may do so, but there’s no precedent for it in modern footy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Plenty of stars though too. Last 170cm star worthy of a top 5?
This is truly a tough decision to make if we have a pick between 2-5. Who do we take? Good arguments for both, taking Watson for his class and match winning abilities or leaving him sitting due to his height concerns. It will be a fascinating watch if we don't have the option of taking Reid. Things can change of course and there might be a gun tall available but at this stage I have Watson number 2 on the draft board on talent alone.

Daniel is a good player. But I remember U18 reviews calling him a short Gary Ablett Jnr. He doesn’t play midfield at AFL level and is not someone clubs would use a top 5 pick on.

That’s the issue with Watson. Looks amazing at U18 level but he’d have to make history to have a career worthy of a top 5 pick. Been a long time since someone close to his height has been. Not impossible, but statistically improbable

I don’t want to derail the thread too much, but with the benefit of hindsight he’d be close to top 10 in his draft class on output.

I could put the following as clearly ahead: Petracca, Brayshaw, De Goey, Moore, Lever, Steele and Miller

He’s in the chasing group with: Wright, Duggan, Weller, Heeney, Langford, Maynard and Dale

I’d certainly prefer we took him over the taller Daniel Howe

This size thing again! Seriously, people need to understand that Watson is brilliant in the air and on the ground. Will trouble the scorers from day dot , make no mistake, he'll go top 3-5.
They say size doesn't matter. And I'm sticking to that.

If Watson ends up playing predominantly forward due to his height, then you're looking at a "Papley on Steroids" type player. Someone who is both strong overhead and below their knees and able to conjure something out of nothing (hence the nickname Wizard). I'd definitely spend a top 3-5 pick on that output.

If Watson ends up playing predominantly forward due to his height, then you're looking at a "Papley on Steroids" type player. Someone who is both strong overhead and below their knees and able to conjure something out of nothing (hence the nickname Wizard). I'd definitely spend a top 3-5 pick on that output.
Yet Sydney managed to get Papley in the rookie draft at pick 14, a year after he was overlooked.

Height won't matter too much if the top prospects keep producing similar outputs.

Reid is a lock.

Watson is easily the 2nd best performed.

Curtin hasn't done much.

Duursma struggled in the rep game.

A. Reid isn't dominating.

Moir hasn't really been tested at SANFL level.

If no one else stakes a claim at the champs then Watson is likely to go pick 2

Plenty of excellent players playing the game over the last 10-20 years in the 170-173cm range - one of which is the present games record holder. If Watson is showing better attributes than these players at U/18 level to warrant going in the first few picks I don’t see why his height will hold him back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch 2023 AFL Draft Pool Discussion Thread

Back