Player Watch 2023 AFL Draft Pool Discussion Thread

Who would you prefer we pick with our first pick?

• Nick Watson

Votes: 149 36.4%
  • Zane Duursma

Votes: 136 33.3%
  • Colby McKercher

Votes: 50 12.2%
  • Daniel Curtin

Votes: 51 12.5%
  • Nate Caddy

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • Conor O'Sullivan

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • Ryley Sanders

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Darcy Wilson

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Same rule applies to this thread as other years, keep it on topic about the kids.
Don’t get bogged down on what other teams might do or where they will finish.

Trade speculation belongs here.

That's also where you can discuss your mock drafts or pick trades.

Any McCabe, Dear or Maginness talk belongs here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Caddy the best of the lot, followed by Moir, Reid, Duursma, jury still out on Morris, not sure if he’ll make it at all, doesn’t appear to be athletic enough.
Morris has what we lack - hands not made out of concrete!

Morris is probably the closest to that style of forward. From the few jets games I've watched he really pushes up the ground, not sure of his height but think it's around 193cm. I think he'd compliment Lewis really well but more of a late first to second round pick.

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Not sure about that, keep watching!

How would you rank these forwards? And who would suit Hawthorn the most?
Ashton Moir
Nate Caddy
Archer Reid
Zane Duursma
Logan Morris
1. Archer Reid - we need a KPF and he is 203cm who can pick up the ground ball, take marks consistently and is a nice kick at goal, con is inconsistent form
2. Nate Caddy - a high flier, always jumping into packs with his big leap, con is that he is 192cm so a bit in-between and not so accurate goal kicker
3. Zane Duursma - 189cm I think, medium forw who has the ability to play time as a mid rotation, good kick at goal Fritsch type
4. Ashton Moir - leading forw with ability to kick well with both legs, seems very casual on field, but has a good record at sanfl u18s, I think he is mid 180s? Not so consistent in big games
5. Logan Morris - 193cm KPF, decent lead mark kick player, has a good goal record, but is lacking some x factor and agility

1. Archer Reid - we need a KPF and he is 203cm who can pick up the ground ball, take marks consistently and is a nice kick at goal, con is inconsistent form
2. Nate Caddy - a high flier, always jumping into packs with his big leap, con is that he is 192cm so a bit in-between and not so accurate goal kicker
3. Zane Duursma - 189cm I think, medium forw who has the ability to play time as a mid rotation, good kick at goal Fritsch type
4. Ashton Moir - leading forw with ability to kick well with both legs, seems very casual on field, but has a good record at sanfl u18s, I think he is mid 180s?
5. Logan Morris - 193cm KPF, decent lead mark kick player, has a good goal record, but is lacking some x factor and agility
Duursma plays a fair bit more as a midfielder.

4. Ashton Moir - leading forw with ability to kick well with both legs, seems very casual on field, but has a good record at sanfl u18s, I think he is mid 180s? Not so consistent in big games
Do any of these forwards have that dog in them?

IMO key forwards need something in them. See all too many who are meek and timid who don't make it. Need to be able to pump up a crowd and give it to the opposition.

He has only really played mid this year for Gippsland, his best footy has been as a forward.
Yes, it's his draft year so you'd think he would've been playing more mid this year.

From what i have seen he has been super impressive in this role and pushing forward.

Pretty much on the money!

Yes, it's his draft year so you'd think he would've been playing more mid this year.

From what i have seen he has been super impressive in this role and pushing forward.
He is a forward who can rotate into the midfield, If you don't believe me here are some stats to paint a clearer picture

19 games, 36 goals, 14 disposals per game this year and last year, they are not great mid stats, but good forward stats, I have not loved his midfield games, he was very important for Vic Country last year as one of their best forwards along with Cadman and not having him for that finale really hurt them, also kicked a long goal for the AFL Academy, even though he was quiet that game.

He is a forward who can rotate into the midfield, If you don't believe me here are some stats to paint a clearer picture

19 games, 36 goals, 14 disposals per game this year and last year, they are not great mid stats, but good forward stats, I have not loved his midfield games, he was very important for Vic Country last year as one of their best forwards along with Cadman and not having him for that finale really hurt them, also kicked a long goal for the AFL Academy, even though he was quiet that game.
I am not talking about last season, i am talking about what i saw from him this year as a midfielder.

Do any of these forwards have that dog in them?

IMO key forwards need something in them. See all too many who are meek and timid who don't make it. Need to be able to pump up a crowd and give it to the opposition.

I'd extend this to most footballers at AFL level - apart from a select few, if they don't have a mean streak they tend to not make it as absolute top-liners. In fact, could probably extend it to most elite-level sportsmen. It's part of their competitive makeup.

Only ones I can think of off the top of my head in more recent years are Pavlich and N Riewoldt. Could probably add Nick Daicos to that conversation. Common trend here is they're so damn good they don't need to be campaigners.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd extend this to most footballers at AFL level - apart from a select few, if they don't have a mean streak they tend to not make it as absolute top-liners. In fact, could probably extend it to most elite-level sportsmen. It's part of their competitive makeup.

Only ones I can think of off the top of my head in more recent years are Pavlich and N Riewoldt. Could probably add Nick Daicos to that conversation. Common trend here is they're so damn good they don't need to be campaigners.
Who from the top end of recent drafts has had that mongrel?
Currently it seems to me that H Reid has it, JHF had it in his junior years and going back a little more maybe Rayner?

Personally I would love us to draft someone with the level of talent that belies their need for that level of mongrel but I don't think there is one.

Early days yet but Harley is so clearly my favourite given he appears to have both that unbridled talent and mongrel.

Watson might have both to a lesser extent, but I'd love to see Archer Reid show something similar.

Who from the top end of recent drafts has had that mongrel?
Currently it seems to me that H Reid has it, JHF had it in his junior years and going back a little more maybe Rayner?

Personally I would love us to draft someone with the level of talent that belies their need for that level of mongrel but I don't think there is one.

Early days yet but Harley is so clearly my favourite given he appears to have both that unbridled talent and mongrel.

Watson might have both to a lesser extent, but I'd love to see Archer Reid show something similar.

Rankine. He's not going to run through anyone but gee he loves taking the piss out of defenders and embarassing them. Totally sadistic.

Think of the guys who were mainstays in our more recent successful period - Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis, Franklin, Birchall, Burgoyne, Cyril, Guerra, Lake, Gibson, Frawley, Puopolo, Shiels ... they all had a mean or nasty streak in them. Guys like Roughy, Bruest, Smith and Gunston might've been "nicer", but were also completely uncompromising on their attack on the ball and player in their pomp.

Note that "mean / nasty" doesn't equate to thug.

Think of the guys who were mainstays in our more recent successful period - Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis, Franklin, Birchall, Burgoyne, Cyril, Guerra, Lake, Gibson, Frawley, Puopolo, Shiels ... they all had a mean or nasty streak in them. Guys like Roughy, Bruest, Smith and Gunston might've been "nicer", but were also completely uncompromising on their attack on the ball and player in their pomp.

Note that "mean / nasty" doesn't equate to thug.
Don’t remember Gibbo, Frawley, Burgoyne, Puopolo, shiels having a mean streak tbh. It was definitely a core component of our team though.

Don't need a taller Frwd who can PLAY midfield! Seriously what's this fascination about every player getting drafted and that the old question of ' can he go in the middle?' İf we can't get our hands on Harley then I'm sure the club will be looking at a potential dangerous frwd with i50 craft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch 2023 AFL Draft Pool Discussion Thread

Back