Player Watch 2023 AFL Draft Pool Discussion Thread

Who would you prefer we pick with our first pick?

• Nick Watson

Votes: 149 36.4%
  • Zane Duursma

Votes: 136 33.3%
  • Colby McKercher

Votes: 50 12.2%
  • Daniel Curtin

Votes: 51 12.5%
  • Nate Caddy

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • Conor O'Sullivan

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • Ryley Sanders

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Darcy Wilson

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Same rule applies to this thread as other years, keep it on topic about the kids.
Don’t get bogged down on what other teams might do or where they will finish.

Trade speculation belongs here.

That's also where you can discuss your mock drafts or pick trades.

Any McCabe, Dear or Maginness talk belongs here.

Last edited by a moderator:

How's Lorenz tracking?
He's been good, though strangely out of favour at Oakleigh. Even when he's getting a game (might have missed a few due to injury or illness) he's being pushed out of their CBAs by FOS, Jagga Smith, and Tom Gross. He works really hard and has great composure at contests, and I really think he would excel as a centre bounce midfielder. He should be well up around the first round, but it wouldn't shock me if he slides a bit if he can't get time as an inside midfielder, but nowhere near the dogs pick.

Would recommend listening to the 29m podcast.
I can break it down from a Hawthorn perspective instead.
They talk about Watson and his time training with Hawthorn and playing on CJ.

Watch from 25:58 sec mark if you can't be bothered watching it all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd extend this to most footballers at AFL level - apart from a select few, if they don't have a mean streak they tend to not make it as absolute top-liners. In fact, could probably extend it to most elite-level sportsmen. It's part of their competitive makeup.

Only ones I can think of off the top of my head in more recent years are Pavlich and N Riewoldt. Could probably add Nick Daicos to that conversation. Common trend here is they're so damn good they don't need to be campaigners.

+ Josh Kennedy (Eagles)

From the HUN:
This time last year, mid-sized forward Ryan Maric was playing country football for Drouin’s Thirds in the Gippsland League.
Last weekend he was catching the eyes of AFL recruiters while playing in a trial match for Vic Country, as he emerges as a potential mid-season draft bolter.
Maric, who turned 18 last September, kicked 3.3 from 15 disposals and eight marks in the under-18 trial match against Vic Metro last Saturday.
He also recorded three direct score assists.
Over recent years, the 193cm tall has put in a power of work on his fitness and now has the ability to work hard up the ground and become a link-up player, as well as getting back into attack and slotting goals.
Maric played just three games for Gippsland Power in the second half of last season in what was his top-age year, but was given another chance as a 19-year-old.
He averaged 19 disposals, 6.7 marks and 2.7 goals from his first three games in the Coates Talent League this season.
“He’s got some real speed and his ability to lengthen his stride at all times of the game has been really good,” Gippsland Power talent manager Scott McDougal said.
“He’s a prodigious kick, so that’s always been his secret weapon.
“He shows there’s enough baseline there in him if someone is looking for a forward, which a lot of clubs are.”
Maric nominated for last year’s national draft, making him eligible for the AFL mid-season rookie draft on May 31.
He is now targeting the two Young Guns games in the lead up to the mid-season draft, which will be played on May 7 and 14.

Noah Casalini has garnered a host of interest among clubs with free list spots, continuing an impressive run of form by winning the Bob Quinn Medal for best on ground in North Adelaide's Anzac Day victory over Norwood.

The 21-year-old Casalini, who is a 191cm marking forward, kicked six goals from 18 disposals and 10 marks in a dominant display to further enhance his credentials as a potential mid-season pick-up.

Casalini was a former Swans Academy player and also has ties with the Giants – who have multiple mid-year picks – having spent last season on their VFL list before crossing to North Adelaide over the summer. – Riley Beveridge

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From the HUN:
This time last year, mid-sized forward Ryan Maric was playing country football for Drouin’s Thirds in the Gippsland League.
Last weekend he was catching the eyes of AFL recruiters while playing in a trial match for Vic Country, as he emerges as a potential mid-season draft bolter.
Maric, who turned 18 last September, kicked 3.3 from 15 disposals and eight marks in the under-18 trial match against Vic Metro last Saturday.
He also recorded three direct score assists.
Over recent years, the 193cm tall has put in a power of work on his fitness and now has the ability to work hard up the ground and become a link-up player, as well as getting back into attack and slotting goals.
Maric played just three games for Gippsland Power in the second half of last season in what was his top-age year, but was given another chance as a 19-year-old.
He averaged 19 disposals, 6.7 marks and 2.7 goals from his first three games in the Coates Talent League this season.
“He’s got some real speed and his ability to lengthen his stride at all times of the game has been really good,” Gippsland Power talent manager Scott McDougal said.
“He’s a prodigious kick, so that’s always been his secret weapon.
“He shows there’s enough baseline there in him if someone is looking for a forward, which a lot of clubs are.”
Maric nominated for last year’s national draft, making him eligible for the AFL mid-season rookie draft on May 31.
He is now targeting the two Young Guns games in the lead up to the mid-season draft, which will be played on May 7 and 14.
I love how Maric plays, he has been my favourite for the MSD so far this year, although I don't watch a lot of the state leagues, so there could be a state league player we might be keen on?

Footy has changed. Weddle is taller than Don Scott who was our TOTC ruck

On Watson, his height won't be an issue if he has other elite skills. Caleb Daniel can make it, then anyone can
Daniel was drafted at 167cm and grew four cms post draft. Does anyone know the likelihood that Watson may continue to grow also?

Footy has changed. Weddle is taller than Don Scott who was our TOTC ruck

On Watson, his height won't be an issue if he has other elite skills. Caleb Daniel can make it, then anyone can

The issue isn't whether Watson will make it. The issue is would he be able to make the transition to an AFL midfielder or play exclusively as a small forward, and would a team (us) spend a top 5 pick on him and take that risk.

I'd extend this to most footballers at AFL level - apart from a select few, if they don't have a mean streak they tend to not make it as absolute top-liners. In fact, could probably extend it to most elite-level sportsmen. It's part of their competitive makeup.

Only ones I can think of off the top of my head in more recent years are Pavlich and N Riewoldt. Could probably add Nick Daicos to that conversation. Common trend here is they're so damn good they don't need to be campaigners.

Daicos has been lippy to the opposition players and the opposition supporters. Certainly doesn't belong in the group with Roo and Pav.

Gary Ablett junior was never a campaigner.

Daicos has been lippy to the opposition players and the opposition supporters. Certainly doesn't belong in the group with Roo and Pav.

Gary Ablett junior was never a campaigner.
Just a sniper that got away with it.

Noah Casalini has garnered a host of interest among clubs with free list spots, continuing an impressive run of form by winning the Bob Quinn Medal for best on ground in North Adelaide's Anzac Day victory over Norwood.

The 21-year-old Casalini, who is a 191cm marking forward, kicked six goals from 18 disposals and 10 marks in a dominant display to further enhance his credentials as a potential mid-season pick-up.

Casalini was a former Swans Academy player and also has ties with the Giants – who have multiple mid-year picks – having spent last season on their VFL list before crossing to North Adelaide over the summer. – Riley Beveridge

I can't help but piss myself laughing at the first goal and the player jumping into the post :tearsofjoy:

How could anyone possibly know this
The best part is that anyone can say “yes”, and no one can prove otherwise. 😂

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch 2023 AFL Draft Pool Discussion Thread

Back