Player Watch 2023 AFL Draft Pool Discussion Thread

Who would you prefer we pick with our first pick?

• Nick Watson

Votes: 149 36.4%
  • Zane Duursma

Votes: 136 33.3%
  • Colby McKercher

Votes: 50 12.2%
  • Daniel Curtin

Votes: 51 12.5%
  • Nate Caddy

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • Conor O'Sullivan

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • Ryley Sanders

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Darcy Wilson

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Same rule applies to this thread as other years, keep it on topic about the kids.
Don’t get bogged down on what other teams might do or where they will finish.

Trade speculation belongs here.

That's also where you can discuss your mock drafts or pick trades.

Any McCabe, Dear or Maginness talk belongs here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Watson looks a more talented and complete footballer than McKercher.
I'd take Watson as a midfield prospect or a forward before I'd take the latter.

I think this is a case of people wanting to boost a guy who has not had as much attention, and they're going overboard.
I too have my eye on the Wizard but happy for him to slide and McKercher to be boosted. Other teams may come with over the top offers or maybe North will pick him at 2 and leave the Wizard to us.

As per this, he is one sided and prefers his left
That right footed kick to Walter was one of the only non-dominant kicks I've seen from him and it was lace out. His one sidedness has been a concern for draft watchers.
I can't pinpoint it, McKercher is good but something seems off for me and think Wizard's would suit us better. And happy to go with Sam's choice, even if it is not The Wizard.

i suppose he would be a point of difference in our midfield set-up, seems to avoid handballing to his teammates feet
If he's not willing to play to team rules we shouldn't pick him up.

McKercher looks like a very talented player, but we have more pressing needs to address - and right now midfield isn't one of them with Newcombe, Day, Worpel, Nash, Mackenzie, Ward and MacDonald on the list.

Unless players are moving on (discussion for another thread), or the club isn't confident in some of them, then I believe the club will be looking at Caddy, Curtin and to a lesser extent Watson.
It's a tough choice. If McKercher will be good enough to upgrade our midfield unit by 10% do you go him vs a forward who will improve the forward until by 25%? I think our forward line needs the most work, so would go Wizz or a tall.

People get enamored with highlights.
That wasn't a highlight video. It was an edited version showing every involvement Mckercher had in that match.

I always thought Daicos would be better than JUH who got more hyped on his highlights. The thing with Daicos the hype was muted, there wasn't 17 other clubs chasing.
There wasn't 17 other clubs chasing JUH either.

If he's not willing to play to team rules we shouldn't pick him up.

It's a tough choice. (1) If McKercher will be good enough to upgrade our midfield unit by 10% do you go him vs a forward who will improve the forward until by 25%? I think our forward line needs the most work, so would go Wizz or a tall.
He isn't going to do that.
Our midfield is already a strength and tbh, he just doesn't impress me.

Curtin on the other hand will be like putting Roughead back into the team, once he matures.
Midfield, forward, back...he'll go wherever we need him. High impact, great skills and character.

Watson would improve our forward line almost immediately.

Seems like Will Lorenz hasn't had a great year? I think he was mentioned as a top 10 pick at one stage
I noticed that. I recall one of our ITK posters mentioning we were pretty into him earlier in the season, that may have changed with his performance or our list needs or a combination of both.

I can't pinpoint it, McKercher is good but something seems off for me and think Wizard's would suit us better. And happy to go with Sam's choice, even if it is not The Wizard.
He kicks like Tom Mitchell when under pressure. Very high balls.

For more experienced draft enthusiasts, when ranking the allies mids do you have to take into consideration the lack of midfield talent they have been opposed to through the champs ?. It's one issue I'd have , while dominant they also had the most dominant ruckman through the champs too.

Couldn't you make the same argument in reverse for previous drafts, tho? Allies are usually pretty rubbish (which makes the other States look better)

I noticed that. I recall one of our ITK posters mentioning we were pretty into him earlier in the season, that may have changed with his performance or our list needs or a combination of both.
His mother is apparently desperate for him to make his way to the Hawks.

Being the daughter of Graham Arthur, she’s of course got brown and gold running through her veins.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His mother is apparently desperate for him to make his way to the Hawks.

Being the daughter of Graham Arthur, she’s of course got brown and gold running through her veins.
I thought someone like Davo-27 said he was being played out of position. Are we munkaraing him? Sorry I mean a form of munkaraing?

I thought someone like Davo-27 said he was being played out of position. Are we munkaraing him? Sorry I mean a form of munkaraing?
We aren't having any input on him or his coaches, he's just not that versatile of a player. His output has been similar to the CMacs at half forward in the AFL, alright but not enough to be a star. He's pretty clearly a natural midfielder and just can't produce at that high of a level in other positions. He's still got an amazing boot in traffice and is a really smooth mover in packs, but we would have to be picking him up in the third round. Consider whether we really need what he brings when we could be getting a tall to develop. If he's there past the third round I'd be very interested just on upside and skill though.

All subject to change, he might storm home in the CTL.

I imagine the Hawks will be too good next season to be in contention for pick 1, but here's an early look at next season's pick 1 favourite anyway.

He's a Rolls Royce. Has time and just cruises. That dribble goal was right in front of us last Sunday. I watch him most weeks play school footy. Great video thanks for sharing.

We aren't having any input on him or his coaches, he's just not that versatile of a player. His output has been similar to the CMacs at half forward in the AFL, alright but not enough to be a star. He's pretty clearly a natural midfielder and just can't produce at that high of a level in other positions. He's still got an amazing boot in traffice and is a really smooth mover in packs, but we would have to be picking him up in the third round. Consider whether we really need what he brings when we could be getting a tall to develop. If he's there past the third round I'd be very interested just on upside and skill though.

All subject to change, he might storm home in the CTL.
So not a potential winger then?

So not a potential winger then?
He'd be alright as a wing, but he is great as an inside midfielder at u18 level. I'd be pissed if I were the Lorenzo's, he should have been given the opportunity ahead of the under agers, but FOS, Gross, and Jagga have had preselection at Oakleigh. Again, worth a punt on spec, but he'd be a disappointment if he was only ever a half forward or wing.

Watson or Curtin for me.
Need scoring power and Curtin could end up being a long term CHB that can swing forward if needed.
Some extra info on Curtin. He worked with his Colts coaches to try different roles early in the season in order to avoid getting pigeonholed as a key defender. They tried him as a key forward and it didn't work out. He struggled to figure out leading patterns and didn't impact the game. It was after that experiment that they tried him in the midfield and he had his first dominant game of the season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch 2023 AFL Draft Pool Discussion Thread

Back