Player Watch 2023 AFL Draft Pool Discussion Thread

Who would you prefer we pick with our first pick?

• Nick Watson

Votes: 149 36.4%
  • Zane Duursma

Votes: 136 33.3%
  • Colby McKercher

Votes: 50 12.2%
  • Daniel Curtin

Votes: 51 12.5%
  • Nate Caddy

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • Conor O'Sullivan

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • Ryley Sanders

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Darcy Wilson

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Same rule applies to this thread as other years, keep it on topic about the kids.
Don’t get bogged down on what other teams might do or where they will finish.

Trade speculation belongs here.

That's also where you can discuss your mock drafts or pick trades.

Any McCabe, Dear or Maginness talk belongs here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Some extra info on Curtin. He worked with his Colts coaches to try different roles early in the season in order to avoid getting pigeonholed as a key defender. They tried him as a key forward and it didn't work out. He struggled to figure out leading patterns and didn't impact the game. It was after that experiment that they tried him in the midfield and he had his first dominant game of the season.
Do you think given a but more time he could learn to play forward?

Do you think given a but more time he could learn to play forward?
I'm certainly no expert in that, but he does seem to have the kind of traits that would translate. Strong overhead with clean one touch marking, can read the play and anticipate to move before his opponent and take intercept marks in defense. Excellent at ground level with clean hands. Accurate penetrating kick.

I'm all in on Watson. We need a difference maker. He has the X-Factor and personality that this team lacks. We have a number of really good promising players, but our list is quite 'plain'.

Watson is the type of energiser that brings the crowd into the game and wants to be the match-winner. We haven't had one since Cyril left and we all know how Cyril made us feel...

I'm all in on Watson. We need a difference maker. He has the X-Factor and personality that this team lacks. We have a number of really good promising players, but our list is quite 'plain'.

Watson is the type of energiser that brings the crowd into the game and wants to be the match-winner. We haven't had one since Cyril left and we all know how Cyril made us feel...

Fully agree with the above. Initially was hoping for Caddy or some other KPF type but Watson is exactly the type of player we are crying out for and your reasons above have nailed it.

The number one box to be ticked is skills, both by foot and hand.
I'm not talking good, I'm talking exquisite

Don't care about the name, the position, the height.
Just no more of these turnover merchants who butcher it regularly.

The point I'm making (quite badly) is if you can't separate potential recruits, go for the one with the best skills every time.

Great post. We’ve got some really good players but geez we are crying out for a star. Franklin Rioli Burgoyne Hodge was just unfair, not to mention the rest.

Can't read the article but assuming they're talking Walter.

I love Walter as a player, I reckon he'll be a star - but it's interesting seeing clubs getting drawn back into the alluring tall in Pick 1 territory after Patton, Boyd, McCartin and Schache all gave them very good reasons to be hesitant in 4 consecutive years.

Can't read the article but assuming they're talking Walter.

I love Walter as a player, I reckon he'll be a star - but it's interesting seeing clubs getting drawn back into the alluring tall in Pick 1 territory after Patton, Boyd, McCartin and Schache all gave them very good reasons to be hesitant in 4 consecutive years.
Here it is.

Copy the URL of the article that you can't access because of firewall.
Go to website archive.vn.
Paste in the URL and press enter.
Voila.

If the biggest knock on Watson is his height, here’s a question -

If you were told Watson would go on to be as good/influential as Caleb Daniels (I know they play different roles), would you be willing to take him at pick 3 ? Comparison only being made because of their similar heights.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

If you were told Watson would go on to be as good/influential as Caleb Daniels (I know they play different roles), would you be willing to take him at pick 3 ? Comparison only being made because of their similar heights.

No i think i would take someone else, however i think Watson is a greater talent.

Here it is.

Copy the URL of the article that you can't access because of firewall.
Go to website archive.vn.
Paste in the URL and press enter.
Voila.
Yeah I know, just on my work computer and their filters pick up the archive sites unfortunately!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In short, no.

Interesting comparison.

Daniel is an AA level player in arguably the second most competitive position (HBF) after the midfield.

For pick 3 you would hope for more. Daniel was a jet in his draft year but I think Watson has shown a greater scope of talent/athleticism.

Jagga Smith - what a first quarter (Metro v Country)

Archer Reid and George Stephens showed a bit.

Caddy - not impressed tbh - moaned at teammates when not given the ball, dropped a chest mark.

Harley Reid showing - not much tbh.

On AFL website live now.

His two goals yesterday were elite. His second one, was special, beating 4 opponents, running from opposite 50s and slotting it.

He offers something we don't currently have in our midfield. The movement in traffic is something only Day and perhaps McKenzie can hold a light to.
I totally agree, but it remains competing agendas.

Jagga Smith - what a first quarter (Metro v Country)

Archer Reid and George Stephens showed a bit.

Caddy - not impressed tbh - moaned at teammates when not given the ball, dropped a chest mark.

Harley Reid showing - not much tbh.

On AFL website live now.
Very much worried by the attitude of Caddy. I was most concerned when he took the mark off a team mate last week. Not the first time he has been petulant and won’t be the last. Great when it is all going his way. Very Stringer and DeGoey ish. That is if he became good enough to emulate them !
Don’t have same issue with Watson.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch 2023 AFL Draft Pool Discussion Thread

Back