Player Watch 2023 AFL Draft Pool Discussion Thread

Who would you prefer we pick with our first pick?

• Nick Watson

Votes: 149 36.4%
  • Zane Duursma

Votes: 136 33.3%
  • Colby McKercher

Votes: 50 12.2%
  • Daniel Curtin

Votes: 51 12.5%
  • Nate Caddy

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • Conor O'Sullivan

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • Ryley Sanders

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Darcy Wilson

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Same rule applies to this thread as other years, keep it on topic about the kids.
Don’t get bogged down on what other teams might do or where they will finish.

Trade speculation belongs here.

That's also where you can discuss your mock drafts or pick trades.

Any McCabe, Dear or Maginness talk belongs here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Curtin just oozes class, but don't think he cuts it as a midfielder at AFL level. Would like to see more exposure as a KPD.

The thing that worries me about Watson is his scope for improvement by means of his physical development. That, and passing on a top shelf KPP at such a high pick. More than happy to be proven wrong however as Sam apparently loves him.

Curtin just oozes class, but don't think he cuts it as a midfielder at AFL level. Would like to see more exposure as a KPD.

The thing that worries me about Watson is his scope for improvement by means of his physical development. That, and passing on a top shelf KPP at such a high pick. More than happy to be proven wrong however as Sam apparently loves him.
KPPs are riskier. See Dowler, Thorp and DGB. And even if Watson is ‘only’ as good as Papley, that is exactly the type of match winning forward we need.

Watson = Fraser Murphy/Brian Royal in style.
Curtin = Jarryd Roughead

We can pick up elite small forwards later in the draft.
History has proven that.

KPP are harder to find with late draft picks.
Curtin will do more for our team than Watson.
I'd take Curtin.

I'm more and more confident that Curtin will go pick 1- Reid might be mercurial, but hasn't shown as much as Curtin has in the middle yet. For those knocking Curtin as a midfielder due to lack of exposure, I would have thought with his performances so far his lack of exposure would be a positive due to the room for growth.
1. WCE - Curtin
2. NM - Reid
3. HAW - Watson

Is the first 3 imo.

Seems like mckercher is almost a lock to go pick 2/3 now And I'm not against it if we take him,Big pod in our current mid setup.

I have completely gone off dursmaa as an early pick , bit of vic bias with how high he is ranked .
Davo called it a while ago. I was expecting Dursma to be a lock for top 5 possibly top 3 earlier in the year but just hasn't come on as most thought he would. Wpnder how far he slides now?

Watson = Fraser Murphy/Brian Royal in style.
Curtin = Jarryd Roughead

We can pick up elite small forwards later in the draft.
History has proven that.

KPP are harder to find with late draft picks.
Curtin will do more for our team than Watson.
I'd take Curtin.
Mitch Lewis says hello….

(Log in to remove this ad.)

KPPs are riskier. See Dowler, Thorp and DGB. And even if Watson is ‘only’ as good as Papley, that is exactly the type of match winning forward we need.
That's fair, but draft science has come a long way since the Dowler/Thorp days.

As good as Watson is, I can't help but think we will rue passing on a potentially elite KPP with pick three. They are worth their weight in gold and then some.

Just my opinion.

As much as I want Watson terrorising opposition defenders for the hawks for the next decade, I can't see how we pick him over Curtin. Watson is definitely a need for us, he seems like more of a luxury pick. Maybe if this was 2 years down the line and we plugged the major holes in our list then I think he'd be a no brainer but as of now I don't think we can pick a small forward at pick 3 especially when he isn't the clear best talent.

Curtin has really surprised me in the champs after a sort of lacklustre start in the colts. Every champs game he has played he has been very good and in a multitude of roles. He played well against Walter and was marking everything against vic country. At 195cm he definitely has the height and frame already to play as a 2nd tall back at afl level which is a massive need for us.

I've also been surprised with how well he's looked in the midfield. He seems to position himself well on the outside and often makes smart decisions by hand. His kicking is great and the way he moves through traffic is elite for anyone let alone a guy that is 195cm tall. The main knock I've seen on him as a midfielder at afl level is his speed which I don't agree with at all. Sure he'll probably never be above average in that aspect but he's definitely got some burst when he wants to.

I can see him debuting very early next year for us as that second tall and then eventually being able to rotate with day in the midfield when he needs a rest.

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Id take curtin over pretty much everyone in this draft (maybe or maybe not over reid and not considering walter). He is Pavlich. Skilled and composed and can play anywhere on the field. If he doesn’t make it as a forward at afl level, we could play him st chb and he would control the game.

Logan Morris was impressive against WA very sticky hands good leap decent kick and bagged 4. If we take Watson based on that game he would seem a good target for us to trade back in for after McCabe. he wasn’t in the top 20 espn July rankings although assume he might climb the rankings after that performance.

Love the look of Sanders too!

Best two prospects to come out of Tassie for some time
Have to think they will be high price targets for the AFLs new Tassie team. Wonder whether that weighs on clubs. Interstate homesickness is one thing but these guys are guaranteed to attract massive AFL funded overs if they prove to be any good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch 2023 AFL Draft Pool Discussion Thread

Back