Player Watch 2023 AFL Draft Pool Discussion Thread

Who would you prefer we pick with our first pick?

• Nick Watson

Votes: 149 36.4%
  • Zane Duursma

Votes: 136 33.3%
  • Colby McKercher

Votes: 50 12.2%
  • Daniel Curtin

Votes: 51 12.5%
  • Nate Caddy

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • Conor O'Sullivan

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • Ryley Sanders

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Darcy Wilson

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Same rule applies to this thread as other years, keep it on topic about the kids.
Don’t get bogged down on what other teams might do or where they will finish.

Trade speculation belongs here.

That's also where you can discuss your mock drafts or pick trades.

Any McCabe, Dear or Maginness talk belongs here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Melbourne are keeping pick 11. Their offer is 6 and their future 1st. If they have a similar year to this and after free agency compo, academy and father son bids that will be a pick in the 20’s. it’s a terrible deal for us and based on Rob McCartney’s interviews one I’m confident we will reject.

I watch as much draft content as I can but I must admit I missed Phoenix Gothard. Great name but I think he’s exactly what we need he’s a quick small forward who tackles well but has great composure and decision making would complement our forwards very well. Davo-27 where do you have him and how do you think he balances our list?

Elliott, Hill, McCreery and Ginnivan are all very good small forwards though out of those Hill is the pick of the bunch
Elliott is 10x the player Hill has shown to be the last 3-4yrs. He (Hill) has a lot of work to do, over a long period, to be in Elliott's class.

*maybe not quite "10x the player", but clear levels above.

If Melbourne did offer us 6+11 for our pick 4, could we trade 6+11 + our F1 or 6+11+8 (pick 8 from Geelong in exchange for our F1) for Harley Reid?
I'd be keen for this but you are getting shafted in that deal.

Sounds like you blokes might be trading down with Melbourne because imo you know Curtin will still be there with their pick.

Smart strategy and you are saving us from ourselves. Dont feel comfortable at all trading our future first even tho I reckon he'll be a jet.

If we were stupid enough to trade down as suggested by some here , I'd be in mourning. I wouldn't be celebrating at all.

After the top 5 , it's all vanilla.

Edit. The only real available quality is Reid, Walter, Mckercher and Watson. These are Rare beasts. They are a point of difference. The rest could be had and got in other drafts. I don't rate Duursma to be up with them. I know i said 5 .. he's included only by people losing their minds over him. I see someone that wont have the same impact in the AFL.

Last edited:
I can see Twomey's mock draft bring fairly straight forward until he gets to us! Suspect we've kept our cards close to our chest and he'll be sweating bullets on who to lock in for us.

If we were stupid enough to trade down as suggested by some here , I'd be in mourning. I wouldn't be celebrating at all.

Edit. The only real available quality is Reid, Walter, Mckercher and Watson. These are Rare beasts. They are a point of difference. The rest could be had and got in other drafts. I don't rate Duursma to be up with them. I know i said 5 .. he's included only by people losing their minds over him. I see someone that wont have the same impact in the AFL.
There's not a single draft in history where that was the case.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is good to know that Caddy/O'sullivan types or ollie murphy/archer reid types will be easy to get in future. Only problem is talls take longer to develop and hard to assess until 2-3 years in. if you have everything in place, only option is to trade for like we did this year.

Hun and Fox in lockstep on rankings, just differ on where the bids for the Gold Coast boys, Croft and McCabe will come in. Both seem pretty sure WC take Curtain at 7 trading with GWS.

Once again, Hawks will dictate the path of the draft with our pick. If we take Curtain there will be some serious ripples

McKenzie and his team have a pretty good track record at talent identification so I will probably be pretty happy with whatever they do.
However, my preference is best available with pick 4 regardless of position and definitely not trading back.
If an opportunity exists to trade into the top 10 with our future first for a player they rate no doubt that has been explored and may be actionable.
McCabe is a free hit in the first round and seems to have been planned for.
Interestingly he seems to have played mainly as a forward prior to this year so he may have some positional flexibility.
Dear is a good story and will probably be taken very late. He will almost certainly be a long shot but let’s be optimistic about his potential development.
Monday night will be a lot of fun.

It is good to know that Caddy/O'sullivan types or ollie murphy/archer reid types will be easy to get in future. Only problem is talls take longer to develop and hard to assess until 2-3 years in. if you have everything in place, only option is to trade for like we did this year.

Yes you’d be able to prize them out of their clubs with free agency and trades. Once we have the performance to match the enthusiasm of the pitch , players will want to come.

There's not a single draft in history where that was the case.

Always has been drafts like that … everything is speculative after the top 5-10 … every now and then you’ll get a deep draft. This isn’t one of them.

There’s always diamonds late. Doesn’t mean there aren’t good players to be had. We have enough good players … we need players that excel in their roles.

There’s always diamonds late. Doesn’t mean there aren’t good players to be had. We have enough good players … we need players that excel in their roles.
Late diamonds are not pure chance. Good recruiters are good at spotting talent, and there will be more than 5 names on our whiteboard.

The 2020 draft is giving it a good shot 😉
Yep a pandemic draft proved the point.
The “mourning” comment is ridiculous. If we trade down it’s because a player we want is available later or the offer is overwhelmingly good from a draft capital perspective. It’s not stupid, it’s called list management. Connor osullivan will be weitering good. If that’s vanilla give me multiple scoops.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch 2023 AFL Draft Pool Discussion Thread

Back