List Mgmt. 2023 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

If you had to guess who will drop down who would it be?
Bodie Ryan
Jack Delean

Also available:
LIAM FAWCETT (Central District) Key forward 18 198cm 87kg
HARRY FRANCIS (Glenelg) Key Forward 18 195cm 80kg
OSCAR TALBOT (West Adelaide) Key defender 18 195cm 83kg
PATRICK WECKERT (WWT) Key forward 18 194cm 90kg
WILL PATTON (West Adelaide) Defender 18 193cm 81kg
HENRY MAERSCHEL (Sturt) Defender 18 191 cm 76kg
LOGAN EVANS (Norwood) Defender, 18 189cm 78kg
JED DIGNAN (North Adelaide) Forward/midfielder 18 188cm 77kg
KANE MCAULIFFE (North Adelaide) Midfielder 18 187cm 86kg
LUCA SLADE (Sturt) Midfielder 17 182cm 70kg
WILL ROWLANDS (Norwood) Forward/midfielder 18 180cm 75kg
LOCH RAWLINSON (Sturt) Forward/midfielder 18 177cm 69kg
ORLANDO TURNER (Norwood) Small forward 18 176cm 67kg

I’d be stunned if Delean slid to our first pick. Hes much better than that.

Joel Freijah is one that would be a good get if he drops to our pick

Harry Francis great leap tested 95cm in the running vertical jump at the combine (2nd highest across all state draft combine participants).
Good value with our current pick 112 which will be in the late 50s to early 60s.
Can be that versatile 2nd ruck whilst playing key forward.

Last edited:
Harry Francis great leap tested 95cm in the running vertical jump at the combine (2nd highest across all state draft combine participants).
Good value with our current pick 112 which will be in the late 50s to early 60s.
Can be that versatile 2nd ruck whilst playing key forward.

Thinking we could possibly do a Darren Mead with him and put him in defence?

He has shown he can cover the ground and can get behind the play.

Just strikes me as someone who you could take a punt on as a Rookie

Bodie Ryan
Jack Delean

Also available:
LIAM FAWCETT (Central District) Key forward 18 198cm 87kg
HARRY FRANCIS (Glenelg) Key Forward 18 195cm 80kg
OSCAR TALBOT (West Adelaide) Key defender 18 195cm 83kg
PATRICK WECKERT (WWT) Key forward 18 194cm 90kg
WILL PATTON (West Adelaide) Defender 18 193cm 81kg
HENRY MAERSCHEL (Sturt) Defender 18 191 cm 76kg
LOGAN EVANS (Norwood) Defender, 18 189cm 78kg
JED DIGNAN (North Adelaide) Forward/midfielder 18 188cm 77kg
KANE MCAULIFFE (North Adelaide) Midfielder 18 187cm 86kg
LUCA SLADE (Sturt) Midfielder 17 182cm 70kg
WILL ROWLANDS (Norwood) Forward/midfielder 18 180cm 75kg
LOCH RAWLINSON (Sturt) Forward/midfielder 18 177cm 69kg
ORLANDO TURNER (Norwood) Small forward 18 176cm 67kg
Any word on what we are looking for ? Surely a small forward would be a priority

I’d be stunned if Delean slid to our first pick. Hes much better than that.

Joel Freijah is one that would be a good get if he drops to our pick
If Delean was there around 40, I'd be looking into whether we can trade next year's 2nd to get back in the draft to nab him. He's exactly what our list needs.

At least the draft rankings seem to indicate there are a fair few mid/wing/small forward options that might be in the mix for us.

Would have to expect our 3 picks would all be outside type players, be they forwards or wingers. Knowing our drafting team though, would be surprised if another half back flanker doesn't enter the chat.

If Delean was there around 40, I'd be looking into whether we can trade next year's 2nd to get back in the draft to nab him. He's exactly what our list needs.

At least the draft rankings seem to indicate there are a fair few mid/wing/small forward options that might be in the mix for us.

Would have to expect our 3 picks would all be outside type players, be they forwards or wingers. Knowing our drafting team though, would be surprised if another half back flanker doesn't enter the chat.
Don't we have a potential total of 4 selections in either of the national draft or rookie draft?

Barkla as a Cat B can only be replaced by a Cat B rookie, so that still leaves a maximum of 42 on main and category A rookie lists. There are 9 off the main list and Cat A rookie list in Jonas, Bonner, Hayes, Lycett, Duursma, Fantasia, Pasini, Teakle and Dumont. Into the 42 comes 5 in Ratagolea, Zerk-Thatcher, Sweet, Soldo and Narkle (who was excess to list size as a mid season draftee to cover for the absence of Georgiades).
42 - 9 + 5 = 38 (therefore 4 spots vacant)
McEntee has been promoted to the main list but this doesn't effect the total list size but does affect the balance of rookies to main list. His promotion leaves us with only Narkle, Evans and Williams on the rookie list. Therefore we must have at least one of the four draftees taken as a rookie selection or potentially leave a list spot unfilled as some clubs did last year.

Don't we have a potential total of 4 selections in either of the national draft or rookie draft?

Barkla as a Cat B can only be replaced by a Cat B rookie, so that leaves a maximum of 42 on main and category A rookie lists. There are 9 off the main list and Cat A rookie list in Jonas, Bonner, Hayes, Lycett, Duursma, Fantasia, Pasini, Teakle and Dumont. Into the 42 comes 5 in Ratagolea, Zerk-Thatcher, Sweet, Soldo and Narkle (who was excess to list size as a mid season draftee to cover for absence of Georgiades).
42 - 9 + 5 = 38 (therefore 4 spots vacant)
McEntee has been promoted to the main list but this doesn't effect the total list size but does affect the balance of rookies to main list. His promotion leaves us with only Narkle, Evans and Williams on the rookie list. Therefore we must have at least one of the four draftees taken as a rookie selection or potentially leave a list spot unfilled as some clubs did last year.
Evans is on main list

3 possible national draft selections, must use all 3, but can use them on rookie upgrades (McEntee, Williams, Narkle)
1 to 4 possible rookie selections.

Expected to upgrade McEntee and Williams. Meaning:
1 National draft pick, which must be used.
3 rookie picks.

Evans is on main list

3 possible national draft selections, must use all 3, but can use them on rookie upgrades (McEntee, Williams, Narkle)

3 rookie picks.
Thanks for that. The AFL reported we have already upgraded McEntee (his 3 years on the rookie list is coming up) but not Williams. I expect we'll keep Williams on the rookie list to take advantage of the ability to exclude part of his salary from the salary cap. I was wrong about Evans.

Last edited:
Tarkyn O'Leary has linked up with us in a couple of phantom drafts. Been mentioned in this thread already.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Evans is on main list

3 rookie picks.

Makes sense. I sort of like the thought of having 2 selections in draft. The second pick probably last in draft gives in reality first pick of what is left for rookie picks: and last year took marshall.

The club prefers to take a player as a rookie rather than in the ND because it’s a one year contract, not 2.

The player we get with 112 and 130 will be available in the rookie draft anyway. So unless it’s a case of “I can’t believe he’s still available “ we will pass in ND and take our choice as a rookie.

Thanks for that. The AFL reported we have already upgraded McEntee (his 3 years on the rookie list is coming up) but not Williams. I expect we'll keep Williams on the rookie list to take advantage of the ability to exclude part of his salary from the salary cap. I was wrong about Evans.
The problem is you are obligated to use 3 national draft picks every year. It is the rule.

So we must take pick 70odd, 110odd, 130odd, or whatever the pick numbers are. We wouldn't do that.

It would make more sense for us to use a couple upgrades to decrease our need to draft a player down to only one required pick. I think Williams and McEntee will both be upgraded. We will take the minimum 1 pick, and then we will have 3 in rookie draft.

That's my expectation anyway.

The problem is you are obligated to use 3 national draft picks every year. It is the rule.

So we must take pick 70odd, 110odd, 130odd, or whatever the pick numbers are. We wouldn't do that.

It would make more sense for us to use a couple upgrades to decrease our need to draft a player down to only one required pick. I think Williams and McEntee will both be upgraded. We will take the minimum 1 pick, and then we will have 3 in rookie draft.

That's my expectation anyway.
Most clubs will pass so those 3 picks will be in the 50’s 60’s

Monday, November 13 AFL Draft Nominations close (by 3pm)

Monday, November 20 AFL National Draft - Round 1 Marvel Stadium

Tuesday, November 21
  • Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period – Selections Only (5.45pm - 6.30pm)
  • AFL National Draft - Round 2 until completion (7pm)
  • Rookie Promotion to Primary List (post completion of National Draft)
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (3) (post completion of National Draft)
Wednesday, November 22
  • AFL Pre-Season Draft (3pm)
  • AFL Rookie Draft (3.20pm)

Port Adelaide​

Pick 73​

Port Adelaide's strategy will be very simple — wait and see who falls through the cracks.

It's near enough to impossible to guess who might still be available and worth picking by the time of Port's first pick, which will come in from 73 and likely end up somewhere in the 50s.

Maybe SA midfielder Kane McAuliffe? Could Billy Wilson slip that far? Luke Lloyd's goalkicking exploits with Sandringham Dragons could put him in the frame?

AFL draft club by club: Every team's picks and potential targets

Luke Lloyd sounds the type of tall forward we would like.

“Very much a link up centre half-forward, Luke Lloyd consistently works up the ground to act as a release option for his teammates, but is just as damaging when playing closer to goal.”

Luke Lloyd

Kicked 19 goals in one game for his school side.

Apparently there was a list put out 2 weeks ago, not the final list though.

Former/Current Port players that nominated as of Nov 2nd. No Jed Hagan yet.

Sam Davidson - Wanderers (NTFL)
Joel Garner - St Marys (NTFL)
Harper Montgomery - Port Adelaide (SANFL)
Taj Schofield - Subiaco (WAFL)
Cody Szust - Port Adelaide (SANFL)
Boyd Woodcock - Southport (VFL)

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2023 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back