List Mgmt. 2023 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Dan Houston was a rookie pick , average draft hand but could still get a gem

Sounds exactly like what they need.

Let's just hope they reach for another Jones/McHenry instead.

Though there move for Oliver suggests they have finally realised that they need a midfield.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
They are well set up for the Midfield minutes, if Berry and Pedler Develop as the should, would think Rachelle will start to move into that group this year, Dawson young enough, Soligo and Parnell shown enough to excite, Dowling and Nankervis to evolve them in the next 12-24 months.

However another Premier Centreman would take some of the pressure off Rachelle.

Dan Houston was a rookie pick , average draft hand but could still get a gem
In that draft year, we picked 4 rookie players (Snelling, Hewett, Houston, Mitchell) that were all just solid footballers. Not necessarily athletically blessed, or high ceiling players, just solid players. It worked that year, all those rookies were averaging 15-25 touches per game in the SANFL and contributing, 3 played a bunch of AFL, 1 became a star. I would hope we take a similar approach, just draft natural players, regardless of height, speed, etc, and see what happens. Pluck one good kid from nowhere and we're happy. If not, our SANFL team is stronger and a better environment for developing the rest.

Last edited:
They are well set up for the Midfield minutes, if Berry and Pedler Develop as the should, would think Rachelle will start to move into that group this year, Dawson young enough, Soligo and Parnell shown enough to excite, Dowling and Nankervis to evolve them in the next 12-24 months.

However another Premier Centreman would take some of the pressure off Rachelle.
Lol. That's a lot of if's.

Their midfield is still trash.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Patrick Weckert’s write up on Rookie Me.

Kicked 8 goals on debut in the SANFL reserves.

Should get along well with John Georgiades at family day.

Update on Eagles mock draft for any that are interested. First pick has come in at pick 51 after pick bids have been done.

Had 4 players left that I liked for this selection in Jack Callinan, Laul, Stevens and McAuliffe.

In the end I went with McAuliffe. I know your Midfield is strong but he has all the traits you need to make it at AFL level.

He’s big, Strong, quick and is a good contested ball player. SA boy obviously which makes his shift to AFL level an easier transition.

His combine testing really stood out as he’s a guy who’s in a big pack of pretty even talent from a pick late in the teens right through to pick 50.

Hopefully Callinan is there at pick 60 your second selection as I’d like to add some depth to your small forwards. I don’t trust Willie. 👍🏻

Last edited:
Update on Eagles mock draft for any that are interested. First pick has come in at pick 51 after pick bids have been done.

Had 4 players left that I liked for this selection in Jack Callinan, Laul, Stevens and McAuliffe.

In the end I went with McAuliffe. I know your Midfield is strong but he has all the traits you need to make it at AFL level.

He’s big, Strong, quick and is a good contested ball player. SA boy obviously which makes his shift to AFL level an easier transition.

His combine testing really stood out as he’s a guy who’s in a big pack of pretty even talent from a pick late in the teens right through to pick 50.

Hopefully Callinan is there at pick 60 your second selection as I’d like to add some depth to your small forwards. I don’t trust Willie. 👍🏻

McAuliffe's highlights package looked alright, I guess they all do but you've summarised the reasons why and there are some AFL traits there. He has some size and burst speed from the contest.

Pick 51 is alright, that's come in a long way.

Tarkyn O’Leary our last pickup on the Big Footy Phantom Draft.

Wouldn’t knock it. Still a few useful kids that you wouldn’t mind giving a go left over though.

#17 for Sandy

Hyacinth (to Sheridan): "Now you're not spending it on girls, are you, dear? You promised Mummy. We agreed not until after you've finished your education. [she listens] Oh, you and Tarquin aren't interested in girls. What a comfort that is to a mother's heart, dear."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s probably sitting around without a home at the end of the night. We’ve drafted a lot worse.

I like him but I wonder if Port look at him and look at Rome next year and think we’ve got the same player. ( That is if Port rate Rome.)

It's probably not fair, but I get a Ned McHenry vibe from him. Maybe it was the hair and that he looks a like an undersized pest, but that aside, there were some good qualities on show. Wins contested ball, left footer with a good kick. Can play small forward and wing.

Given our crud Draft hands, my options to choose from would be (preface it by qualifying with "if still available"):

Project ruck or KPP:
V Visentini
Fawcett

Wing:
Maershell
Slade
Simpson

Small forward:
Rowland
Callinan

Inside/outside mid:
McAuliffe

Sounds like a few will be left without a club, so the main and rookie drafts could have a few possibilities to choose from!

looking at kids with high ceilings for improvement.

I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on Billy Wilson if he's there. I like his speed and reading of the play which allows him to get a lotta ball. Also has a really nice kick in space. Currently a half-back/outside mid, but moved into the centre late in the year. Still has a lotta learning to do, but I think his traits could translate. Or they might not, but we've got picks 73+ so shrug. We're down a Duursma so I'd be fine with getting another young wing on the list.

Edit:

Highlights of his performance in the midfield in Finals.

Last edited:
It's probably not fair, but I get a Ned McHenry vibe from him. Maybe it was the hair and that he looks a like an undersized pest, but that aside, there were some good qualities on show. Wins contested ball, left footer with a good kick. Can play small forward and wing.
Being a lefty is a big plus in my book.
Our list is that shallow even if he just puts pressure on our small types to preform would be something we haven’t had in ages.

I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on Billy Wilson if he's there. I like his speed and reading of the play which allows him to get a lotta ball. Also has a really nice kick in space. Currently a half-back/outside mid, but moved into the centre late in the year. Still has a lotta learning to do, but I think his traits could translate. Or they might not, but we've got picks 73+ so shrug. We're down a Duursma so I'd be fine with getting another young wing on the list.

Edit:

Highlights of his performance in the midfield in Finals.

He does have a few fans on some of the draft boards.

He does have a few fans on some of the draft boards.

Yeah, opinions seem very varied! Some are huge fans and think he's a chance at going early, but he wasn't invited to the national combine, only getting a state invite and Draft Central have him as going "late" in their draft guide.

A poster on another board who has followed him a bit closer states that he was actually an inside mid earlier on, but was moved into defence for Sandy to inject some speed, finally being given a run in his more natural position. But Draft Central say contested work and composure is his weakness and he's purely outside at this stage.

Ah well, will be interesting to see where/if he goes in the draft, I'm a fan regardless!

Yeah, opinions seem very varied! Some are huge fans and think he's a chance at going early, but he wasn't invited to the national combine, only getting a state invite and Draft Central have him as going "late" in their draft guide.

A poster on another board who has followed him a bit closer states that he was actually an inside mid earlier on, but was moved into defence for Sandy to inject some speed, finally being given a run in his more natural position. But Draft Central say contested work and composure is his weakness and he's purely outside at this stage.

Ah well, will be interesting to see where/if he goes in the draft, I'm a fan regardless!
I think we've already got our full quota of players lacking composure. I like his name, but it's a pass from me

In that draft year, we picked 4 rookie players (Snelling, Hewett, Houston, Mitchell) that were all just solid footballers. Not necessarily athletically blessed, or high ceiling players, just solid players. It worked that year, all those rookies were averaging 15-25 touches per game in the SANFL and contributing, 3 played a bunch of AFL, 1 became a star. I would hope we take a similar approach, just draft natural players, regardless of height, speed, etc, and see what happens. Pluck one good kid from nowhere and we're happy. If not, our SANFL team is stronger and a better environment for developing the rest.
Didn't Will Snelling hold the beep test record nationally? Average footballer but an athletic freak.

Didn't Will Snelling hold the beep test record nationally? Average footballer but an athletic freak.
His main physical attribute though was being small. Not really having the desirable physical stature of the modern day footballer. He was racking up touches at U18 level but everyone saw the weaknesses and not the natural footballer. We gave the natural footballer a go and over time he ended up having a solid career albeit at a 2nd club. That rookie draft defied our past history of the types we drafted and in hindsight it was a pretty good group. Mitchell despite his flaws played a role, Snelling had a solid career, Houston an AA, and all including Hewett were really good for us at SANFL level from year 1.

His main physical attribute though was being small. Not really having the desirable physical stature of the modern day footballer. He was racking up touches at U18 level but everyone saw the weaknesses and not the natural footballer. We gave the natural footballer a go and over time he ended up having a solid career albeit at a 2nd club. That rookie draft defied our past history of the types we drafted and in hindsight it was a pretty good group. Mitchell despite his flaws played a role, Snelling had a solid career, Houston an AA, and all including Hewett were really good for us at SANFL level from year 1.
Yeah I definitely agree with your post overall - just saying that Snelling certainly had a huge tank outside of his footballing skills

Port Adelaide

Pick 73

The Power got what they needed from the trade period and sold their draft hand to do it. With their one selection a local product may be the route and SA captain Will Patton has slid down the draft order this year. At 193cm he can play on a variety of opponents and his defensive instincts are top notch. Kobe Ryan has dominated at SANFL level this year and should be on an AFL list in 2024, and Kane McAuliffe tested well at the combine and could be available still.

First-round Phantom Draft - who your club could pick on night 1
I come in peace but I reckon wrong Ryan

I think Bode Ryan would be an outstanding pick if your first pick gets pushed up into the late 40s / early 50s on draft night and he’s still there

My 3rd ranked SA kid behind McCabe and Goad this year

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2023 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back