Fixture 2023 AFL Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

Dont know if it's already been mentioned, but Carlton v Geelong in Round 2 at the MCG according to The Age. Two huge games to start the year.

Any idea how the double-ups are going to work now that we have an additional game - i.e. will the AFL still go with the weighted rule and group the ladder into three lots of six? If so, might our extra double-up match come from the same 'bracket', meaning we potentially play up to four top 6 teams twice? Doesn't particularly worry me as we've dealt with challenging draws quite well in previous seasons, but it's interesting to ponder.

Because the round 1 fixture cats v pies MCG has already come out.
Won’t be the hawks either as it’s our turn for the Easter Monday game.
Essendon’s turn to host country game, unless we play twice? Could be them.
I doubt they send Richmond and Carlton, well who knows.

I know others and the club may feel differently, but Easter Monday has lost its shine for me and I'd be more than happy for Hawthorn to play someone else. Much like Essendon with the whole Country Game thing, I feel as though the Hawks are mostly just using it to give themselves a nice little leg-up, as otherwise they'd probably be playing us at GMHBA while they're stuck down the lower end of the ladder. Having a marquee slot every year is nice but given our financial position these days I'm not sure it's 100% necessary, especially when we're coughing up a valuable home-ground advantage.

I know others and the club may feel differently, but Easter Monday has lost its shine for me and I'd be more than happy for Hawthorn to play someone else. Much like Essendon with the whole Country Game thing, I feel as though the Hawks are mostly just using it to give themselves a nice little leg-up, as otherwise they'd probably be playing us at GMHBA while they're stuck down the lower end of the ladder. Having a marquee slot every year is nice but given our financial position these days I'm not sure it's 100% necessary, especially when we're coughing up a valuable home-ground advantage.

Yeah I disagree. Hawks are rubbish sure but it’s still a rivalry.
Look at the ‘big’ clubs and their supposed rivalries. Essendon, Carlton and Richmond were/are terrible for years and years yet still get marquee match ups. They don’t need them. Pies have spent less years being bad but they still claim rivalries with those rubbish sides.
We can’t just toss aside the Easter Monday game and besides the more we play on the G the better we are for it.
I think the balance we have of 9 home and 2 mcg home games is perfect. However I’ll keep telling opposition fans we deserve 11 home games.

Everyone is my bunny when I doubt any club has beaten us more than we’ve beaten them since 2005 lol

Not willing to waste my time googling that because it’s probably true

No one would be even close to 50-50.

Swans best I I reckon and sneaky shout on Freo having a decent record. Collingwood next best.

No one would be even close to 50-50.

Swans best I I reckon and sneaky shout on Freo having a decent record. Collingwood next best.
Yep that’s why I hate Sydney the most. Followed by Brisbane for that comeback a decade ago as it was the biggest embarrassment I’ve experienced.- Worse than losing just once by 100+ in my time which was also to Sydney.

Best prelim and grand final combo and winning margins I could’ve ever hoped for.

Yep that’s why I hate Sydney the most. Followed by Brisbane for that comeback a decade ago as it was the biggest embarrassment I’ve experienced.- Worse than losing just once by 100+ in my time which was also to Sydney.

Best prelim and grand final combo and winning margins I could’ve ever hoped for.
Richmond and Hawthorn for me same margins would be nice.I still value a Victorian scalp far above the 4 ARL state clubs it takes me a while to except change I value both WA and SA sides they have been wonderful feeder states for the Geelong footy club and Victorian clubs in general and now pay their own way in the competition both financially and talent wise, not much value IMHO north of the Murray.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For those who haven't seen it:

FjFfId3VQAEhDcp
Im sick to death of everything having an indigenous reference

Also, the Adelaide Oval is going to take a pounding, will be interesting to see what condition it is in for the later games.

Playing the 5th game on the oval for the weekend is a concern but not nearly as much as a concern as the match in Adelaide Hills. Would be spewing if I was the Lions. I lived in Adelaide for a bit and while I didn't follow the SANFL I don't recall a team being based up in the Hills so how good could the ground be....

Playing the 5th game on the oval for the weekend is a concern but not nearly as much as a concern as the match in Adelaide Hills. Would be spewing if I was the Lions. I lived in Adelaide for a bit and while I didn't follow the SANFL I don't recall a team being based up in the Hills so how good could the ground be....

Yeah, that Hills game is in Mt Barker, which is in the Hills league not SANFL. It’s a new ground though with decent facilities.

Guessing that means no trip to KP for West Coast next year. They'll be shattered.

Potentially means one less trip to Perth (assuming we don't play West Coast twice) and frees up a GMHBA game for a tougher opponent, so not the worst result from our perspective either when you think about it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Fixture 2023 AFL Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

Back