2023 Crowds and TV/Streaming

Remove this Banner Ad

Shame about the weather in Perth of all places. Same game/same venue got 5,533 at the start of last year. It got 3,790 today, so I'd say that was the only one that fell under reasonable expectations (noting Haw-Ess and NM-StK would've got more at Ikon and Arden Street respectively).

And for two average teams the scoring shots are up because of the smaller ground. In fact higher than the Brisbane and Richmond game between two better teams on at the same time (at 3qt time). Sorry teen wolf.
Scoring shots were up?

Last year Sydney v GWS: 28 scoring shots at the SCG
This year Sydney v GWS: 27 scoring shots at North Sydney Oval

As promised, the game at NSO was again way above average for stoppages. Most stoppages for the round, equal with the game at Frankston (a ground which is only 102m wide and has no pockets).

Shame about the weather in Perth of all places. Same game/same venue got 5,533 at the start of last year. It got 3,790 today, so I'd say that was the only one that fell under reasonable expectations (noting Haw-Ess and NM-StK would've got more at Ikon and Arden Street respectively).

Can confirm the rain and threat of rain kept me, my partner and our two kids away.

"(noting Haw-Ess and NM-StK would've got more at Ikon and Arden Street respectively)."

I wonder who was the idiot that thought that playing an AFLW match between two Victorian sides at the Bellerive Oval in Hobart was good idea but it was just a watse of time and money.

Clearly with the handful of spectators scattered around Bellerive today Tassie is not ready for Womens Footy and going on the last AFL crowd at the same venue they are off the Mens game as well.

AFLW crowds so far

8,412 Princess Park - Melbourne vs Pies
3,244 Princess Park - Carlton vs Gold Coast
8,722 Norwood Oval - Adelaide vs Port
4,404 Kadina Park - Geelong vs Bulldogs
3,722 Frankston Oval - Hawks vs Essendon

2,454 Bellerive Oval - Roos vs Saints
5,474 North Sydney Oval - Swans vs Giants
3,153 Springfield Central - Lions vs Tigers
3,790 Fremantle Oval - Freo vs Eagles

This gives round 1 an average of 4,819. It would have been nice to see what the WA derby crowd would have been without rain.

Which is pretty good. Though 6 games were derby’s in their home town. Recognising that the 3 games involving an interstate team (this includes TAS hosting Vic teams) were the 3 smallest crowds.

So let’s see what the round average is in the next few weeks when more games don’t involve cross town opposition.

Oh, I’ve had it wrong in my head all my life.

However I’m blaming Kadina Park on auto correct.

Can confirm the rain and threat of rain kept me, my partner and our two kids away.

I'll paraphrase here what I said on the Freo board - Freo Oval is a complete dump, the best spot to watch footy there is literally a carpark. When it rains it's even worse as you have to huddle under the 1 small shelter behind the goals, or sit about 100 metres from the boundary in the only stand.

On the plus side, I hear they're up to the 8th redevelopment plan for the place. The 9th will be out soon I suspect.

It's a shame because it's the best located ground in the WAFL. But by far the worst for spectators.

I'll paraphrase here what I said on the Freo board - Freo Oval is a complete dump, the best spot to watch footy there is literally a carpark. When it rains it's even worse as you have to huddle under the 1 small shelter behind the goals, or sit about 100 metres from the boundary in the only stand.

On the plus side, I hear they're up to the 8th redevelopment plan for the place. The 9th will be out soon I suspect.

It's a shame because it's the best located ground in the WAFL. But by far the worst for spectators.
Never been there but on tv looking at those stands, looks like it's stuck in a time warp. Looks the complete opposite to a modern stadium and if they want to attract more fans those so called plans need to happen. Bit hard too expect fans to come out when all they have is a place like that to watch footy from.

"(noting Haw-Ess and NM-StK would've got more at Ikon and Arden Street respectively)."

I wonder who was the idiot that thought that playing an AFLW match between two Victorian sides at the Bellerive Oval in Hobart was good idea but it was just a watse of time and money.

Clearly with the handful of spectators scattered around Bellerive today Tassie is not ready for Womens Footy and going on the last AFL crowd at the same venue they are off the Mens game as well.
North are required to play a match down here. They were known as the Tassie Kangaroos.

The issue is playing it at Blundstone Arena. By doing that, you force it to be one of the first rounds due to cricket. On top of that, the stadium is hard to get to and require efforts with little public transport and roads which become blocked in an decentralised position in the city.

They should do North Hobart Oval up a bit and play all future matches there. Perfect size for AFLW, both on and off the pitch, great location in the city. Think it is a bit of non local knowledge to move to Blundstone after the first couple of years of NHO.

I'm slightly annoyed our away game against North is in Tassie on men's prelim final week instead of Arden Street. Would have gotten a decent crowd at Arden Street due to the Vic supporter base we have but no way anyone outside friends/family/partners of players and absolutely hardcore feminists would travel to Tasmania for this at the peak of men's finals.
Tickets still selling well for st kilda gws - it seems the front half of the top level is sold all the way around. Looks to me it will get somewhere between 65,000 to even 70,000 which would be excellent. Last week I was in the camp that marvel would be better suited, but glad I don’t work at the afl.
It will get a good crowd purely because it's the only neutral final Joe public can easily get a ticket to.

Never been there but on tv looking at those stands, looks like it's stuck in a time warp. Looks the complete opposite to a modern stadium and if they want to attract more fans those so called plans need to happen. Bit hard too expect fans to come out when all they have is a place like that to watch footy from.
TV doesn't do the ground justice because the biggest problem doesn't really come across - that being the best viewing area on the wing in the shade (on the camera side) is literally a carpark. So you either have to go and sit in the Victoria pavilion miles from the boundary or sit on the concrete in the outer. Or stand in the carpark.

Impossible to fix as well because the council will block pretty much any attempt to remodel the ground. Every few years a new plan comes out but nothing ever comes of it.

2,454 Bellerive Oval - Roos vs Saints
5,474 North Sydney Oval - Swans vs Giants
3,153 Springfield Central - Lions vs Tigers
3,790 Fremantle Oval - Freo vs Eagles

This gives round 1 an average of 4,819. It would have been nice to see what the WA derby crowd would have been without rain.

Which is pretty good. Though 6 games were derby’s in their home town. Recognising that the 3 games involving an interstate team (this includes TAS hosting Vic teams) were the 3 smallest crowds.

So let’s see what the round average is in the next few weeks when more games don’t involve cross town opposition.

Oh, I’ve had it wrong in my head all my life.

However I’m blaming Kadina Park on auto correct.
They must have counted the Hobart crowd twice I will bare my arse in Bourke Street if there was more than a 1000 there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

North are required to play a match down here. They were known as the Tassie Kangaroos.

The issue is playing it at Blundstone Arena. By doing that, you force it to be one of the first rounds due to cricket. On top of that, the stadium is hard to get to and require efforts with little public transport and roads which become blocked in an decentralised position in the city.

They should do North Hobart Oval up a bit and play all future matches there. Perfect size for AFLW, both on and off the pitch, great location in the city. Think it is a bit of non local knowledge to move to Blundstone after the first couple of years of NHO.
North Hobart Oval is a much better option for these low drawing matches and it is of course is right in the Hobart CBD.

The fools on LU are wetting their pants at the thought of sellout 20,000 finals crowds.

Is the NRL about to sell out week one of the finals for the first time in history?

Adam Pengilly

By Adam Pengilly

September 3, 2023 — 6.44pm
SNAPSHOT
  • Brisbane Broncos (2) v Melbourne Storm (3)
    Suncorp Stadium, Friday night, 7.50pm
  • Penrith Panthers (1) v New Zealand Warriors (4)
    BlueBet Stadium, Saturday afternoon, 4.05pm
  • Cronulla Sharks (6) v Sydney Roosters (7)
    PointsBet Stadium, Saturday night, 7.50pm
  • Newcastle Knights (5) v Canberra Raiders (8)
    McDonald Jones Stadium, Sunday afternoon, 4.05pm

All four week-one finals matches could be sold out for the first time in the NRL era, which ARLC chairman Peter V’landys said would compensate for any revenue loss due to lacklustre seasons from traditional Sydney heavyweights.
Having already set attendance records during the 2023 season, the NRL’s finals series is set to hit the road with at least two matches to be played in Brisbane and others in Auckland, Melbourne and Newcastle throughout September.

Crowds are in for the 2023 WAFL home and away season

For those unaware, Subiaco and East Perth share Leederville Oval. West Coasts wafl team and Perth share Lathlain Park.

East Fremantle are playing at the WACA this year whilst East Freo Oval is redeveloped.

c30fcfef7804a044ffdab78a33d1ef9e.jpg

a03d5edad4aa3230d3f054521ffb3670.jpg

Crowds have been in decline since the 80’s with big drops the years Eagles and Dockers joined the AFL.

0b26d76b6cfeab2cf3556522e8664a34.jpg

Tickets still selling well for st kilda gws - it seems the front half of the top level is sold all the way around. Looks to me it will get somewhere between 65,000 to even 70,000 which would be excellent. Last week I was in the camp that marvel would be better suited, but glad I don’t work at the afl.
Back in 2010? Or so saints only got 39 k to an elim vs sydney

Shows that the game has grown significantly now

AFL Aggregate H&A audiences
  • 2023 - 107.954m
  • 2022 - 106.265m (AFL 125m inc finals)
  • 2021 - 96.825m
  • 2020 - 75.7m (AFL 77m+) (strm not inc)
  • 2019 - 91.293m (streaming not included)
  • 2018 - 89.348m (kayo launch post season)
  • 2017 - 102.337m

AFl #2023 Stats

Thu N TV
Aggregate 10.463m
Average 951,000
High
  • R1 Blues/Tigers 1.268m
  • R4 Lions/Pies 1.108m
Thu N Attendance
Aggregate 439,312
Average 39,937
High
  • R1 Tigers/Blues 88,084
  • R2 Blues/Cats 55,861
Fri N TV
Aggregate 23.604m
Average 944,000
High
  • R1 Pies/Cats 1.202m
  • R3 Pies/Tigers 1.80m
  • R5 Tigers/Swans 1.153m
Fri N Attendance
Total Crowds: 1.136m
Average Crowd: 47,349
High
  • R20 Pies/Blues 86,785
  • R1 Cats/Pies 86,595
  • R3 Pies/Tigers 85,241
  • R22 Pies/Cats 78,749
  • R24 Bombres/Pies 74,344

Last edited:
For the Saints/Giants game the AFL members has still got about 5 bays on the top level which are completely unsold. The other 7-8 bays on the top level have sold the front third only.

All up, I’d say that the AFL Members is about 70-75% sold.

For the Saints/Giants game the AFL members has still got about 5 bays on the top level which are completely unsold. The other 7-8 bays on the top level have sold the front third only.

All up, I’d say that the AFL Members is about 70-75% sold.
Ye it looks like they up to row Z level 4 in the MCC too, row V in the Ponsford, Row R in the Southern stand and the Northern stand hasnt seen any bays go on sale. Looks slightly ahead of the Melbourne Brisbane Semi Final last year which got 62K. Expecting just under 70K with a massive neutral turnout because of the crap weather Thursday/Friday (Thursday clearing up though) and inability for neutrals to get seats for those two games.

Remove this Banner Ad

2023 Crowds and TV/Streaming

Remove this Banner Ad

Back