List Mgmt. 2023 Draft Thread - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Henry and Dow will be in the team R1. Then you've got guys like Membrey, Jones, Hayes who weren't in the team for most part and hopefully will be available. Caminiti lost his spot late but has proven his wares.
So the kids we drafted will have to get in the queue. Bonner is ahead of them too as a proven AFL player, and Heath, Keeler, Hotton etc have a years development on the newbies.
With a decent injury run for once I think the young draftees will be at Sandy for most part, as they should be.

Keeler and hotton are the two I’m interested in for next year … both had injury interrupted first years but I think we will find out whether either have the goods next year hopefully both have a big pre season and show something

How about Veggie, after Michael Schumacher?
Bill Hader Omg GIF by Saturday Night Live

Keeler and hotton are the two I’m interested in for next year … both had injury interrupted first years but I think we will find out whether either have the goods next year hopefully both have a big pre season and show something
I'll add Van Es to that too. He's a big lump of a kid and isn't afraid of much.
Coaches pretty excited by Keeler according to track watchers on here. If he can keep focussed we may have something special.
Hotton was building nicely towards the end of the year. He seems a solid young player.
We'll have a good young group in Sandy next year. It will be good for these kids to build together, bed down the program and system, without having to be deprogrammed first, and then jump into the seniors ready to go.

Stop it
Just stop it right now

Excited Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek's Creek
Right now he's just a skinny rookie, but thst determined look he has in his eye reminded me of the Pennant Hills legends early years.

Lenny got the most out of himself and I suspect Darcy will too. If he put on 9kgs in the last year, I wonder how much stronger he could make himself between now and March.

One thing that Lenny had that Darcy doesn't is that NSW rugby tackling upbringing that made him such a weapon and fan favourite, but he is more outside than Lenny was anyway, so it's not that big a consideration.

I'll add Van Es to that too. He's a big lump of a kid and isn't afraid of much.
Coaches pretty excited by Keeler according to track watchers on here. If he can keep focussed we may have something special.
Hotton was building nicely towards the end of the year. He seems a solid young player.
We'll have a good young group in Sandy next year. It will be good for these kids to build together, bed down the program and system, without having to be deprogrammed first, and then jump into the seniors ready to go.
Van Es and Keeler are massive difference makers in our side. We need a real full back coming through the ranks, he's really the only one so far. Keeler is supposed to be more forward than Ruck so would be a perfect fit for a team with a no 1 ruck who needs a chop out.

If those guys both come on in the coming years we are looking really good already.

Fingers crossed

Van Es and Keeler are massive difference makers in our side. We need a real full back coming through the ranks, he's really the only one so far. Keeler is supposed to be more forward than Ruck so would be a perfect fit for a team with a no 1 ruck who needs a chop out.

If those guys both come on in the coming years we are looking really good already.

Fingers crossed
Both still a good 18 months off according to the ITKs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have enjoyed is going back into the draft.

Really like our recruiting too. Think we’ve gone best available for all picks past two years. Our drafting I feel we’d always reach on someone or pick someone out of the blue.

Really like us moving players like Billings Gresham n McKenzie along. It got pretty frustrating every year having high expectations on these players only for them to be average at best. And using their list spots for new draftees is great. It’ll keep our list in better shape.

I think we’ve never been brave enough to pull the pin and get rid of players that haven’t been performing. Billings four year extension in hindsight was pretty outrageous. He was going along okay, but how many other clubs would’ve extended him for that long? I don’t wanna dwell on old stuff. But I look at collingwood list management in the past few years and how they have let players go, etc treloar Stephenson ginnivan grundy. I know there was salary cap issues but getting rid of them seems to have worked out. It’s aggressive and it got them back some trade capital. Which we have lacked over the past few years

Really like our recruiting too. Think we’ve gone best available for all picks past two years. Our drafting I feel we’d always reach on someone or pick someone out of the blue.

Really like us moving players like Billings Gresham n McKenzie along. It got pretty frustrating every year having high expectations on these players only for them to be average at best. And using their list spots for new draftees is great. It’ll keep our list in better shape.

I think we’ve never been brave enough to pull the pin and get rid of players that haven’t been performing. Billings four year extension in hindsight was pretty outrageous. He was going along okay, but how many other clubs would’ve extended him for that long? I don’t wanna dwell on old stuff. But I look at collingwood list management in the past few years and how they have let players go, etc treloar Stephenson ginnivan grundy. I know there was salary cap issues but getting rid of them seems to have worked out. It’s aggressive and it got them back some trade capital. Which we have lacked over the past few years

Port are probably a better model as is Geelong. Both are a extremely quick to move on players that don't perform and have high turn over. Collingwood actually has a very stable core and are an older list. Geelong were always flipping players and if they were injury prone or slow to develop they jettisoned them.

I reckon Port is the model we wanted to follow where we keep refreshing constantly while challenging.

I'm not saying you're wrong, in fact I agree with all of it.

But Collingwood have a massive advantage when it comes to trading in players, they don't need as much trade capital as we do when they can offer blockbuster games and MCG 14 times in a H&A season, as well as big 4 status. They can afford to swing big with draft and trades because its so easy for them to get required players in. Look at the Lauchie Schultz acquisition which enabled them to flick Ginnivan without a second thought. Just one example. If Collingwood call you, only the most loyal - like Roo - turn them down.

Port are probably a better model as is Geelong. Both are a extremely quick to move on players that don't perform and have high turn over. Collingwood actually has a very stable core and are an older list. Geelong were always flipping players and if they were injury prone or slow to develop they jettisoned them.

I reckon Port is the model we wanted to follow where we keep refreshing constantly while challenging.
Good point actually.

Got rid of ryder, Howard, Wingard, polec, Amon, pittard over a few years. Turned them into good draft picks. Hope Sos is aggressive again next year.

Both still a good 18 months off according to the ITKs.
If injuries occur they could well be in the side before you know it , Heath is raw as they come but has the natural ability many young ruckmen don't have and has the attack on the ball that will make him a player.
Marshall come of age when Longer and Hickey went down with injuries , Marshall as you know was given the task to ruck and a star was born.
Keeler has the skill set of a midfielder and can take contested marks - if he puts consistency into his game watch out , just some of his highlights shows he can be anything.
King we all know is going to be the focal point down forward but this kid could well be another.

Good point actually.

Got rid of ryder, Howard, Wingard, polec, Amon, pittard over a few years. Turned them into good draft picks. Hope Sos is aggressive again next year.

Even Sam Hayes who looked okay was a bit slow to come on but not for a ruck got the arse. Cripper isn't sentimental. They churn the list. Bonner too, he's the type that we would have given a 5 year contract on $600k pa and hoped that when he hits 30 he has a couple of handy years left in him and made him captain under Richo.

I know they havent played a game yet but Gubby, SOS, Toce` and Roughead can give themselves a pat on the back after our trade and drafts this year. Firstly we addressed our need for speed across a number of lines, then multiple goal scoring players and finally marking strengths. Importantly most of the players can also play more than one position.

Dow - strong inside/outside mid with speed and despite his kicking % he does score goals.
Henry - a lightning quick wingman/forward who kicks goals. About to become one of the best wingman in the comp.
Wilson - inside/outside elite quick mid, who could go forward and remain dangerous as he is strong overhead.
Collard - pace to burn and a goal kicking freak, pressure forward, plus good overhead for his size. Excitement....!
Hastie - a quick strong marking rebounding half back with excellent kicking skills. Can play on tall or small forwards.
Garcia - quick outside mid with a real burst and dangerous in front of goals. Good awareness and also good defensively.
Shoenmaker - a HB accumulator who is strong overhead, will be the longest kick at the club with the ability to slot them from 60m.
Bonner - another exceptionally long kick and attacking player, but will need to improve his defensive game to become a permanent fixture.

The other side of the equation we moved on players who lacked exactly that - speed.

Right now he's just a skinny rookie, but thst determined look he has in his eye reminded me of the Pennant Hills legends early years.

Lenny got the most out of himself and I suspect Darcy will too. If he put on 9kgs in the last year, I wonder how much stronger he could make himself between now and March.

One thing that Lenny had that Darcy doesn't is that NSW rugby tackling upbringing that made him such a weapon and fan favourite, but he is more outside than Lenny was anyway, so it's not that big a consideration.
Lenny’s tackle on Easton Wood is still one of my absolute favourite Saints moments

Even Sam Hayes who looked okay was a bit slow to come on but not for a ruck got the arse. Cripper isn't sentimental. They churn the list. Bonner too, he's the type that we would have given a 5 year contract on $600k pa and hoped that when he hits 30 he has a couple of handy years left in him and made him captain under Richo.

Churning the list becomes inevitable once you’ve got it up to a good level. We’ve held on to some gops in the recent past because our bottom end has been very, very poor.

I know they havent played a game yet but Gubby, SOS, Toce` and Roughead can give themselves a pat on the back after our trade and drafts this year. Firstly we addressed our need for speed across a number of lines, then multiple goal scoring players and finally marking strengths. Importantly most of the players can also play more than one position.

Dow - strong inside/outside mid with speed and despite his kicking % he does score goals.
Henry - a lightning quick wingman/forward who kicks goals. About to become one of the best wingman in the comp.
Wilson - inside/outside elite quick mid, who could go forward and remain dangerous as he is strong overhead.
Collard - pace to burn and a goal kicking freak, pressure forward, plus good overhead for his size. Excitement....!
Hastie - a quick strong marking rebounding half back with excellent kicking skills. Can play on tall or small forwards.
Garcia - quick outside mid with a real burst and dangerous in front of goals. Good awareness and also good defensively.
Shoenmaker - a HB accumulator who is strong overhead, will be the longest kick at the club with the ability to slot them from 60m.
Bonner - another exceptionally long kick and attacking player, but will need to improve his defensive game to become a permanent fixture.

The other side of the equation we moved on players who lacked exactly that - speed.
An excellent summary, Steele Saints, and one I'm in complete agreement with. It is extraordinary to think we entered the draft with just 3 picks and were burdened further by the ridiculously biased NGA/Father/Son rules.

Somehow, we turned this metaphorical, poker hand, "pair of 2s" into 6 exciting prospects and as SS pointed out, met several urgent needs. Kudos to the list management and drafting team.

I realize, of course, that we always get excited just after the draft, hoping all 6, plus Dow and Henry will become stars for us. The statistical reality is about half, or even fewer will make it and hopefully 1 or 2 will become 'A' graders.

I'm confident they've nailed it for the 3rd year in a row. The disasters of the Elshaug years are behind us, it would seem 🤞🤞🤞.

Churning the list becomes inevitable once you’ve got it up to a good level. We’ve held on to some gops in the recent past because our bottom end has been very, very poor.

Yeah, when you aren't replacing the talent out with talent in you can't churn. In those Trout Richo years we couldn't find 22 good players let alone let some move on and upgrade.

Good summation, I’d classify Garcia more as an inside/ outside mid

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2023 Draft Thread - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Back