List Mgmt. 2023 Draft Thread - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Accumulate and package a bunch of 2nd, 3rd, 4thRDPs. Get GC's pick and hope for the best. If McKercher gone take Sanders.

Live trade if he’s still there I guess

Got to be bold to move into the top end of the draft. McKercher looks like a Callaghan/Josh kelly type with even more power having watched 10mins of footage lol

I don't think we are going to be able to move up into his range without giving up too much. Sanders is probably the only one we could possibly work up to.

I like some of the players that sit just out of that top 10 list. Guys like Windsor, Lorenz, Demattia etc. There are some like Moir and Philactides that have dropped off a bit but could be a real guns too. I'd rather take a few of those types than move up at the cost of multiple picks.

Hhmmm not that bad. Nothing criminal but just a bad look these days. Bootsma area

That's a shame, he was a promising cricketer too. I wouldn't mind taking him and trying to reframe it as us helping educate a young guy strayed from the path. Has massive talent. Depends on how much of a dick head he is I guess.

That's a shame, he was a promising cricketer too. I wouldn't mind taking him and trying to reframe it as us helping educate a young guy strayed from the path. Has massive talent. Depends on how much of a dick head he is I guess.
It’s not that bad what I heard. Just means he might slide a bit. Put it this way, I would still back us in taking him

I don't think we are going to be able to move up into his range without giving up too much. Sanders is probably the only one we could possibly work up to.

I like some of the players that sit just out of that top 10 list. Guys like Windsor, Lorenz, Demattia etc. There are some like Moir and Philactides that have dropped off a bit but could be a real guns too. I'd rather take a few of those types than move up at the cost of multiple picks.

Yeah few types like:

Dunstan 18
Acres 19
Goddard 21
McKenzie 22
Gresham 18
Long 25
Allison 26

The end of first round players are flawed and even though some of these looked like they were going to make it none have. Or we just don’t draft the right ones.

Either way, that’s enough evidence for me. I’d be taking three of those and turning it into a top 3 pick every single time I had the chance.

Started reading some draft news and Twomey mentions Zane Zakostelsky.

WA TALL ON THE RISE

WEST Australian tall Zane Zakostelsky looms as a possible top-30 contender as clubs continue to scour the market for key-position options in this year's draft.

Zakostelsky was named best on ground in Claremont's under-18 colts Grand Final win over Perth last weekend, gathering 22 disposals and having 18 hitouts.

DRAFT HUB Click here for the latest draft news

The 17-year-old has played as a ruckman at that level through this season but shapes as a key defensive option for AFL clubs given his 196cm frame.

mb0bp1xv.jpg

Zane Zakostelsky flies for a mark during the U18 national championships match between Western Australia and Vic Metro at RSEA Park on July 9, 2023. Picture: AFL Photos
Zakostelsky, who has a background in basketball and athletics, will next week test at the AFL Draft Combine in Melbourne, where he is expected to be a standout performer and further push his draft case.

His endurance and speed combination has impressed, having ran the 20-metre sprint in 2.85 seconds at WA's under-18 testing earlier this year. Some clubs believe he could break into the top 30 draftees by November given his attributes. – Callum Twomey

--------------------------------------

I like that he competes hard.

Has no issues putting body on body and fighting for contested possessions. Finds the ball rather easily?

Could be a potential full back for us? Hybrid ruck?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just an observation I've had from the past few drafts is that we seem to be drafting players who are physically unready, but have all the attributes required to excel at the top level (Nas and Pou specifically). This strategy holds up big time as a player can always fill out once at an AFL club, but if they lack those attributes and footy nous, they can't make up for it. To me, the player that fits that bill for us this year is Darcy Wilson. We should be doing everything in our power to get him in.

Just an observation I've had from the past few drafts is that we seem to be drafting players who are physically unready, but have all the attributes required to excel at the top level (Nas and Pou specifically). This strategy holds up big time as a player can always fill out once at an AFL club, but if they lack those attributes and footy nous, they can't make up for it. To me, the player that fits that bill for us this year is Darcy Wilson. We should be doing everything in our power to get him in.
May I introduce you to Hunter Clark. Think he’s lost weight since we drafted him. Need to have some athletic weapons to make it in the AFL

Yeah few types like:

Dunstan 18
Acres 19
Goddard 21
McKenzie 22
Gresham 18
Long 25
Allison 26

The end of first round players are flawed and even though some of these looked like they were going to make it none have. Or we just don’t draft the right ones.

Either way, that’s enough evidence for me. I’d be taking three of those and turning it into a top 3 pick every single time I had the chance.

I think i agree but with a good talent spotter: ( Toce)?
Dunstan 18, Acres 19: >> M Crouch :23 Gardiner:22, McStay :24 , Merrett 26
Goddard 21, McKenzie 22 >> McLean :26 Webb:27 , Miller :29, Maynard 30
Gresham 18: Yep probably the best at that pick.
Long 25: >> Parfitt 26: , Fisher 27, Lipinski 28 , Bolton 29.
Byrnes 52: Useful player.
Not sure who you get instead of Allison, not a typical draft.

I think i agree but with a good talent spotter: ( Toce)?
Dunstan 18, Acres 19: >> M Crouch :23 Gardiner:22, McStay :24 , Merrett 26
Goddard 21, McKenzie 22 >> McLean :26 Webb:27 , Miller :29, Maynard 30
Gresham 18: Yep probably the best at that pick.
Long 25: >> Parfitt 26: , Fisher 27, Lipinski 28 , Bolton 29.
Byrnes 52: Useful player.
Not sure who you get instead of Allison, not a typical draft.
Is there any substance to the Allison to north trade?

Yeah few types like:

Dunstan 18
Acres 19
Goddard 21
McKenzie 22
Gresham 18
Long 25
Allison 26

Anything that we took in the last 15 years should be in a manual for what not to do.

Pick 3 has netted some shockers too. Jarrod Grant, Polec, Buntine, K. Kolodjasnij, Setterfield, Dylan Stephens.

Pick 6 has netted Grainger-Barass, Fischer McAsey, Stephenson, Petrevski-Seton, Aaron Francis, Marchbank and Scharenberg. You can stuff up good picks too and it really depends on the draft.

I'd usually agree with you and be all for getting right up high in the draft but just don't love this one, looks like 2017. I think Harley Reid, Curtain, McKercher, Duursma, Watson types all look good and then it gets a bit less good.

To me the only players in that top lot that suit our needs are Mckercher and Duursma. In that next group Sanders, Murphy and Caddy would be next group that are pretty even. Sanders suits needs. Then throw a blanket over the next lot. There just isn't enough to move up for IMO, you don't get anything free so are paying way overs to get up the draft.

You have to decide if the gamble is worth it and if the two players that we want are gone you could end up paying 2 firsts for a project KPB.

Obviously excluded the GC academy players.

He's got some X factor and tricks too. I really like his game. I reckon he's got a massive ceiling. Could be a real best player in the draft type.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2023 Draft Thread - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Back