List Mgmt. 2023 Draft Thread - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree. Could be a real player but Stevens looks like Tomahawk running around the midfield. To me he just looks too heavy and slow for what we need. No chance we look at him after Ross's comments.

What some said about Petracca when they wanted to believe Paddy Mac was a good choice.

Wilson has the most appeal to me, but with Henry coming in, that leaves us with 4 wingers. Just interested as to how it translates on field. Not saying he's an immediate starter, but its a lot of depth to have for that position.

Wingmen are also high half forwards and rebounding backs too. You can carry about 6 wing types, especially if you have a few sizes in there. One more if they have some inside ball winning ability in the Seb Ross first receiver role. I think Ross Lyon wants a wave running side. Lots of run is exactly what you want for that kind of set up. Also need to assume not everyone will make the cut long term.

Wingmen are also high half forwards and rebounding backs too. You can carry about 6 wing types, especially if you have a few sizes in there. One more if they have some inside ball winning ability in the Seb Ross first receiver role. I think Ross Lyon wants a wave running side. Lots of run is exactly what you want for that kind of set up. Also need to assume not everyone will make the cut long term.
Yeah they dont have to be genuine wingman. They are '"transition players", magnets that can go anywhere.

Think Collingwood players like McCreery, Bobby hill, Markov, Daicos brothers, Hoskin-Elliot, Crisp, Sidebottom. They find space and kill you on the spread regardless of their starting position

If WCE can trade out pick one they might eat up a few WA kids in that first round and make a few push out. Nate Caddy could go anywhere from 4 onward even. A few of those could easily move around dependent on needs.
That would be ideal for us. Dogs, Swans and Crows (the 3 teams before us) will all likely be looking for mids which would make it harder for us given how few are rated around our pick.

I wouldn't rule us out getting one of the key defenders - Will McCabe, Ollie Murphy, Connor O'Sullivan.

That would be ideal for us. Dogs, Swans and Crows (the 3 teams before us) will all likely be looking for mids which would make it harder for us given how few are rated around our pick.

I wouldn't rule us out getting one of the key defenders - Will McCabe, Ollie Murphy, Connor O'Sullivan.

God I hope we don't go for a key defender. Swans need key position players more than mids even. They probably want a similar type of running mid like Lyon does if they go that way. Horse and Lyon are from the same school of footy. Crows again probably need talls before mids. Tex must be about 38 by now.

Surely the Dogs are stacked for mids but probably outside run is their thing too. Dons need key defenders, GWS can really just cherry pick what they want with heaps of picks. Probably speculate a bit because they can.

It's going to be an interesting draft. I can see guys like Caddy jumping up with clubs dreaming of another Curnow and rucks drifting out a bit.

God I hope we don't go for a key defender. Swans need key position players more than mids even. They probably want a similar type of running mid like Lyon does if they go that way. Horse and Lyon are from the same school of footy. Crows again probably need talls before mids. Tex must be about 38 by now.

Surely the Dogs are stacked for mids but probably outside run is their thing too. Dons need key defenders, GWS can really just cherry pick what they want with heaps of picks. Probably speculate a bit because they can.

It's going to be an interesting draft. I can see guys like Caddy jumping up with clubs dreaming of another Curnow and rucks drifting out a bit.
Dogs aren't stacked for mids at all. They haven't drafted a decent one since Bailey Smith due to all the tall gifts they've been handed and he wants out. Treloar, Libba and Macrae will all be over 30 next year as well.

Similar with Adelaide, they midfield is a lot older than the rest of their team an they haven't used a top pick on one for a while.

If we end up having our first pick around 15ish I think Windsor would be a great pick. Covers the ground well, is rangey and looks good over head, and looks to have good skills. My only question mark is whether he is another flanker at the next level, or a genuine mid option.
Like the look of Windsor. A lot of class. I’d default to saying he looks like a midfielder but knowing us we’d turn him into a solid half back flanker in no time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tf, the dogs with another gifted 200cm first rounder tall forward… if he’s any good their forward line is stacked in a few years time.
I noticed their list manager was whinging the other week because they’ve had to match all these high bids which means it’s really hurt their depth due to having to use a heap of picks…

Cry me a river

Wilson is probably the one I'd be most keen on if he falls to our current pick. Nice skills and composure. Looks like he could end up being a full time mid.

Windsor looks perfectly suited to the modern game and especially with what Lyon is building. Speed and a penetrating kick. No idea what his gps numbers are like but I'd imagine they are very good. Seems more a pure winger though.

DeMattia seems like a real bull but with good breakaway speed from stoppage. Skills average though. I can't help but see Dunstan when I watch him.

Tholstrup and Stevens look ready made and could have instant impacts but not sure they suit what we are after. Stevens would need to shed some kilos to keep up at AFL level. Tholstrup is a WA lad which always worries me when drafting.

Charlie Edwards looks looks to have great size and attributes for a mid, albeit haven't seen much vision on him. A sandy lad so I'd imagine we would have him on the radar given our focus on local kids.

Of the key positions I'd be most keen on Murphy. Great mover for a 200cm. Would need a couple years in the gym before he got near senior level though.

If we could trade up into the top 4 I'd love to get our hands on Mckercher, I think he would be perfect for our midfield. Overall the quality outside the top few looks a little poor, but I reckon there could still be some later value in this draft and it won't be as bad as people think.

Like the look of Windsor. A lot of class. I’d default to saying he looks like a midfielder but knowing us we’d turn him into a solid half back flanker in no time.

He's more an outside mid so perhaps sending him to HBF might not be the worst idea while he develops into a wing to replace Wood long term. Send Sinclair into the middle. If Windhager can develop into a class inside mid to help Steele and Crouch we probably only really lack an absolute bulk extractor like Libba.

Wilson is probably the one I'd be most keen on if he falls to our current pick. Nice skills and composure. Looks like he could end up being a full time mid.

Windsor looks perfectly suited to the modern game and especially with what Lyon is building. Speed and a penetrating kick. No idea what his gps numbers are like but I'd imagine they are very good. Seems more a pure winger though.

DeMattia seems like a real bull but with good breakaway speed from stoppage. Skills average though. I can't help but see Dunstan when I watch him.

Tholstrup and Stevens look ready made and could have instant impacts but not sure they suit what we are after. Stevens would need to shed some kilos to keep up at AFL level. Tholstrup is a WA lad which always worries me when drafting.

Charlie Edwards looks looks to have great size and attributes for a mid, albeit haven't seen much vision on him. A sandy lad so I'd imagine we would have him on the radar given our focus on local kids.

Of the key positions I'd be most keen on Murphy. Great mover for a 200cm. Would need a couple years in the gym before he got near senior level though.

If we could trade up into the top 4 I'd love to get our hands on Mckercher, I think he would be perfect for our midfield. Overall the quality outside the top few looks a little poor, but I reckon there could still be some later value in this draft and it won't be as bad as people think.

Wilson is the one I want. Has a bit of Bailey Smith running mid but with some party tricks. He looks fun to watch.

Dunny was never as quick as HD though. Definitely some similarities though.

Stevens would trim down pretty quickly doing an AFL preseason. Most players struggle to get enough calories in as they use early on.

He's more an outside mid so perhaps sending him to HBF might not be the worst idea while he develops into a wing to replace Wood long term. Send Sinclair into the middle. If Windhager can develop into a class inside mid to help Steele and Crouch we probably only really lack an absolute bulk extractor like Libba.
Ah you’re correct. For a Vic Metro game it looked like he was on ball. He doesn’t look too outside.

We need a small forward with Peris gone and needing to put some heat on Higgins and Butler. It was noticeable last week how much we need something better.

Jack Delean?
Jack, South Australian and looks like he has a bit of FIGJAM about him like all the great small forwards so will fit in with our other SA FIGJAM kid.

Maybe an option if we get another pick in the mid to late 20's as that looks around his mark?

Any thoughts from SA watchers?

If we end up having our first pick around 15ish I think Windsor would be a great pick. Covers the ground well, is rangey and looks good over head, and looks to have good skills. My only question mark is whether he is another flanker at the next level, or a genuine mid option.
I wonder if he projects a bit like a Holmes. Seems to be on that upward curve. But more a winger than a genuine mid. Certainly has the pace and kicking skills.

We need a small forward with Peris gone and needing to put some heat on Higgins and Butler. It was noticeable last week how much we need something better.

Jack Delean?
Jack, South Australian and looks like he has a bit of FIGJAM about him like all the great small forwards so will fit in with our other SA FIGJAM kid.

Maybe an option if we get another pick in the mid to late 20's as that looks around his mark?

Any thoughts from SA watchers?
Amazing that he seems to keep dropping. Was in the frame for top 15 early this year.

this one pls

big inside mid with a killer boot (from that clip), great penetration and good angle of attack on the kick, also looks to have good awareness of where his teammates are (nice dinky little kick near the end of that clip for eg) and makes good decisions. Will be physically ready to go round 1. How's his endurance?

Yep George Stevens for mine. Overlooking a gun because you are looking for pace is how you get in trouble in drafting. Jack Peris has pace. Yes we need some pace but you dont get it by drafting a fast guy ahead of a guy who will be the better player. Stevens looks like a beast.

29 posessions in his first VFL game. The guy is a beast.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2023 Draft Thread - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Back