List Mgmt. 2023 Draft Thread - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Well at least Monday night will be interesting to follow.

So many variable's at play - I doubt anyone has a really clear idea how the first round picks will pan out.
The first part of the draft is pretty settled but after that throw a blanket over them…one of the more fascinating drafts to date with us right in the thick of it!

Our first two selections seem to be fully dependant on other clubs and their decisions and 'best available' will be the overriding philosophy there. Pick 40 appears to be the one selection that is our call based on needs. I fully expect Phoenix Gothard to be called out as a Sainter with that selection. Even if we use a future 3rd to trade up for him.

Well at least Monday night will be interesting to follow.

So many variable's at play - I doubt anyone has a really clear idea how the first round picks will pan out.
Seems a lot tougher to pick than recent years. I'll he interested to see Twomeys phantom draft. He ha a pretty good record at finding out who will go where of late.

Our first two selections seem to be fully dependant on other clubs and their decisions and 'best available' will be the overriding philosophy there. Pick 40 appears to be the one selection that is our call based on needs. I fully expect Phoenix Gothard to be called out as a Sainter with that selection. Even if we use a future 3rd to trade up for him.
Why ?

The first part of the draft is pretty settled but after that throw a blanket over them…one of the more fascinating drafts to date with us right in the thick of it!
I think the players in the top 15 are settled.

The landing spots are anything but.

The curtain call changes most of the landing spots + the trades that we can’t predict.

Reckon SOS may try the old pick switch-a-roo at some point!!
I think if Wilson and Windsor are gone at 13 we move back to norths 17 and 18.

17/18/21

Di Mattia Collard Edwards

Most would be happy with that outcome?

If he can recapture his form from pre-ACL
The couple of games he played?!

I like Hayes, but this is approaching the “Kosi’s 4 games” level of mythology.

Posters still fawning over Fisher McAsey because he was a former pick 6….

4 years ago.

And his last AFL games was in * checks notes* 2020

I'd far rather Cooper Simpson with our pick, than spending two picks to get Gothard.
I have not got hard over Pheonix at all.

Yes. What other sample size do we have to judge him off?

Also, what is inaccurate about saying he played well when he did play, and having someone in the fwd/2nd ruck role would help our forward setup? Should be just hypothetically talk about a poor stretch of games because he might have been crap if he hadn't of gotten injured?

I am assuming we use our first two selections on midfield run and carry. Our small forward depth is almost zero now with gresham, peris, and to a lesser extent Billlings, now gone. It made zero sense to delist peris when it would only have cost us another cat b spot in 2024 unless we were targeting a true small forward in the draft. I think why wait until 40 and get others dregs. Lets show some initiative and grab the true small forward we want. He will likely be gone by 40.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We seems to be in an awkward spot. The top 12 (outside academy) seems pretty set and then it becomes messier... look at Twomey top 20 rankings without academy. I would be happy if any top 12 slid to us. After that will we go with Edwards? I doubt we take Hardemen. Who knows though, maybe Toce likes someone in that 13-16 range

1. Reid
2. Duursma
3. McKerccher
4. Watson
5. Curtain
6. Sanders
7. Caddy
8. osulllivan
9. Windser
10. Leake
11. Wilson
12. Tholstrup

13. Hardeman
14. Collard
15. Demattia
16. Edwards
17, Jiath
18. Roberts
19. Murphy
20. Green

There is a slight chance that Tholstrup ( trip to Esperance doesn't make it a sure thing ) or Wilson could slide to us.
Failing that, we end up with our choice of one of your second group.
If it got to there and North still wanted a trade, two of that second group would still be available at the North Picks.
We'd have less choice with who we took, depending on who others choose, but its hard to call a clearly better player in that range, so the odds of ending up with a good one increase.

I'd be happy with 2 of Edwards, Collard, Murphy, Schoenmaker, DeMattia.

I am assuming we use our first two selections on midfield run and carry. Our small forward depth is almost zero now with gresham, peris, and to a lesser extent Billlings, now gone. It made zero sense to delist peris when it would only have cost us another cat b spot in 2024 unless we were targeting a true small forward in the draft. I think why wait until 40 and get others dregs. Lets show some initiative and grab the true small forward we want. He will likely be gone by 40.

You don't delist someone based on "targetting" someone in the draft.

You don't delist someone based on "targetting" someone in the draft.
Correct. But you can certainly have an intention to draft a 'position'. Im suggesting pick 40 is going to be used on a small forward given the number of small forwards floated around that mark. Im just saying that we should be proactive and get the best one rather than the one others dont want.

Correct. But you can certainly have an intention to draft a 'position'. Im suggesting pick 40 is going to be used on a small forward given the number of small forwards floated around that mark. Im just saying that we should be proactive and get the best one rather than the one others dont want.

Get Collard then.

If we leave Simpson on the table, I’ll spew

Yes. What other sample size do we have to judge him off?

Also, what is inaccurate about saying he played well when he did play, and having someone in the fwd/2nd ruck role would help our forward setup? Should be just hypothetically talk about a poor stretch of games because he might have been crap if he hadn't of gotten injured?
“Recapture the form” is a huge stretch.

Let’s just get him back on the park consistently before we anoint him, or compare others TO him.

Of course having someone in that role will assist, I was never arguing that.

Posters still fawning over Fisher McAsey because he was a former pick 6….

4 years ago.

And his last AFL games was in * checks notes* 2020
Is that aimed at me? I mean… I said he’d be worth a look at if he was interested.

Don’t think that’s “fawning”.

Gothard, doesn't quite get enough of the ball, or kick enough goals.
I wouldn't trade a future pick to upgrade our current pick, because there is a fair chance he'll amount to nothing.
Probably true of a lot of players in this draft.

I'd think we have the most chance of picking up a decent player if we use our second round pick this year and 3rd round pick next year.

Is that aimed at me? I mean… I said he’d be worth a look at if he was interested.

Don’t think that’s “fawning”.
No mate it wasn’t.

Others.

Was making the point that Jack Hayes finding good form again isn’t anywhere near as bad as thinking McAsey is redeemable.

Gothard, doesn't quite get enough of the ball, or kick enough goals.
I wouldn't trade a future pick to upgrade our current pick, because there is a fair chance he'll amount to nothing.
Probably true of a lot of players in this draft.

I'd think we have the most chance of picking up a decent player if we use our second round pick this year and 3rd round pick next year.
Or we trade 13 into 17+18

And if we still hold 40 - trade it into next years hand.

The value in this draft is going to be who wins from the 12-30 pick range.

With Toce’s track record - part of me would like to roll the dice. (Fully aware of what 2012-2019 brought us )

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2023 Draft Thread - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Back