Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems a good time to pin this:

OOC players:
  • Michael Hibberd (retired)
  • Deakyn Smith (delisted)
  • Andy Moniz-Wakefield
  • Jake Melksham (delisted, will be re-drafted as a rookie)
  • Luke Dunstan (retired)
  • James Jordon (signed with Sydney as a Free Agent)
  • Kye Turner (delisted)
Traded out:
  • James Harmes (Bulldogs)
  • Brodie Grundy (Sydney)
Traded in:
  • Tom Fullarton (Brisbane)
  • Jack Billings (St Kilda)
  • Shane McAdam (Adelaide)
Drafted:
  • Caleb Windsor (Pick 7)
  • Koltyn Tholstrup (Pick 13)
  • Kynan Brown (Rookie)

Last edited:
Ignore him bloke has nfi

I don’t think we will deal for pick 1 - our best chance is get the suns pick 4 then offer 4/5, but even then I’d consider that overpaying and the eagles probably would ask for more.
There will be at least a dozen clubs after the Suns pick-us included, whoever gets it will pay a huge premium. I don’t think you guys need Reid, I would have thought you keep your bonanza from the list flogs at Freo who thought they were a lot better than they were. They’ve basically handed you the picks to develop the next gen players under your guns. You could do with an established KPF though. Not that I’d think he’d want to move but any interest in Jack Darling? Can play good footy, just been shit for two years.

There will be at least a dozen clubs after the Suns pick-us included, whoever gets it will pay a huge premium. I don’t think you guys need Reid, I would have thought you keep your bonanza from the list flogs at Freo who thought they were a lot better than they were. They’ve basically handed you the picks to develop the next gen players under your guns. You could do with an established KPF though. Not that I’d think he’d want to move but any interest in Jack Darling? Can play good footy, just been s**t for two years.
Suns will want a future first + the points back for that pick you'd think, would Eagles be willing to give up their first next year and a 2nd and 3rd rounder for pick 4 this year? Seems like an incredible price to pay for a rebuilding side, or have you got some other capital to play with?

There will be at least a dozen clubs after the Suns pick-us included, whoever gets it will pay a huge premium. I don’t think you guys need Reid, I would have thought you keep your bonanza from the list flogs at Freo who thought they were a lot better than they were. They’ve basically handed you the picks to develop the next gen players under your guns. You could do with an established KPF though. Not that I’d think he’d want to move but any interest in Jack Darling? Can play good footy, just been s**t for two years.
I couldn’t see Melbourne give up anything that would be attractive to West Coast for Darling.

Wouldn’t West Coast be better off keeping some experience around with all the retirements?

Back to gunning for pick 1, if Reid is a Petracca or Oliver style top 5 in the league type player he’s worth throwing everything at.

Agree there will be plenty of competition for GC’s pick 4 and I think Melbourne’s not at the front of the pack.

Anything we offer would have to guarantee you guys Curtin and something extra you'd think.
Agreed, some have him slipping to your Freo pick. If he does would you trade that lick for our F1 assuming we take Reid at 1?

Agreed, some have him slipping to your Freo pick. If he does would you trade that lick for our F1 assuming we take Reid at 1?
Only if we on traded it to GC for their pick. We have 0 interest in trading for picks for next year's draft

I don't see us trading pick 5 away for a future first. We have historically traded for the now. Last year I'm pretty sure we tried to trade the Freo pick and our first last year for Gold Coasts pick but they didn't bite. Glad they didn't.

I bloody love what I've seen of Curtin and would be happy to take him, we've had a great record recruiting West Australians recently, I would be surprised if he was still around at our pick though.

Suns will want a future first + the points back for that pick you'd think, would Eagles be willing to give up their first next year and a 2nd and 3rd rounder for pick 4 this year? Seems like an incredible price to pay for a rebuilding side, or have you got some other capital to play with?
If we could get Reid and Curtain I think the list guys take that in a heartbeat. I suggested we give Gold Coast our F1 for their pick 4 this year and they wanted pick 19 thrown in too which I thought was ridiculous. If curtain gets to your pick this I reckon we’d offer you our F1 for pick 4 with a late 2nd/early 3rd coming back. Thoughts?

I don't see us trading pick 5 away for a future first. We have historically traded for the now. Last year I'm pretty sure we tried to trade the Freo pick and our first last year for Gold Coasts pick but they didn't bite. Glad they didn't.

I bloody love what I've seen of Curtin and would be happy to take him, we've had a great record recruiting West Australians recently, I would be surprised if he was still around at our pick though.
It’s likely to be pick 1 or 2 in a draft that will be heavily compromised by academy bids after that. 4 excellent vic mids in the top 5 it seems so might be worth a look. The West Aussies your list guys have taken delivered in spades and by all accounts don’t want to come back. Good club culture for you guys.

If we could get Reid and Curtain I think the list guys take that in a heartbeat. I suggested we give Gold Coast our F1 for their pick 4 this year and they wanted pick 19 thrown in too which I thought was ridiculous. If curtain gets to your pick this I reckon we’d offer you our F1 for pick 4 with a late 2nd/early 3rd coming back. Thoughts?
Imv the only thing stopping them from taking that deal would be the points they'd be missing, pick 4 is worth about 4k points they will need to find again or they miss out on one of their academy picks.

Gotta be honest though I don't see you guys taking Reid. There was a pretty telling press release today about using pick 1 to get players, plural. I'd be surprised if you haven't had several offers from other teams you're looking at

Two top 10 picks for pick 1 is fair. WC probably won't take that so that'd be my last offer

Yeah but there can be a big difference between picks 8&9 and 4&5 which we might have if we land the GC pick. You’re talking the absolute cream in those first 5 picks usually.

It’s likely to be pick 1 or 2 in a draft that will be heavily compromised by academy bids after that. 4 excellent vic mids in the top 5 it seems so might be worth a look. The West Aussies your list guys have taken delivered in spades and by all accounts don’t want to come back. Good club culture for you guys.
Thing is we're in our flag window now and if we want to keep it open we have to keep improving our list while our older guys still have some footy left. I'd be shocked if we traded for a future first.

They are the ones taking the risk with the future first, you have to throw in a good pick or else what's the benefit for them. You finish 12th next year and it's effectively 4 for 6 which is a bad deal for them. Pick 19 thrown in seems fair.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah but there can be a big difference between picks 8&9 and 4&5 which we might have if we land the GC pick. You’re talking the absolute cream in those first 5 picks usually.
Which is fine but how much more are we giving up then? Is pick 15-18 as well enough?

Would be better if you could trade during the draft after a selection. So if we get Curtain at 5 somehow, WC should be able to make us an offer still for him.
Yeah I reckon it'll get to that point in a year or two.

In other news Port are leading the pack for Grundy

Port Adelaide is the overwhelming favourite to secure Brodie Grundy, with Geelong out of the race for the Demons ruckman and Sydney a fading contender.

In an ideal world Grundy would have been anticipating a clash with former side Collingwood next week as the perfect storyline to the first week of the finals.

Instead he is cooling his heels in the VFL despite a dominant three-goal, 33-possession hitout in the ruck for Melbourne’s VFL affiliate Casey.

Grundy was unwilling to consider the Power as a future home last year given he had only just purchased a house in Melbourne’s inner east and was well settled in Victoria.

But with coach Simon Goodwin now conceding the Max Gawn-Grundy ruck duo has not worked, he will be on the move.

Sydney is keen to get in front of Grundy, who is yet to meet with any other club, but at this stage their interest has been rebuffed.

Geelong is keen to secure a veteran ruck prospect to help Rhys Stanley and young ruckman Toby Conway, who coach Chris Scott labelled as a “special” talent on Saturday night.

But Grundy is contracted for four more years so is not in the Cats’ plans as they instead focus on going back to the draft and securing more midfield cover.

With over a month remaining until the trade period there could be plenty of twists and turns.

But it would take a shock turn for the Power to be pushed out of favouritism for Grundy.

The Power traded their first, second and third-round 2023 draft picks in their trade dealings last season.

So they will face a challenge to land Grundy, Ratugolea and Essendon’s Brandon Zerk-Thatcher, with this masthead reporting earlier this month the Cats are likely to ask for a future first-rounder for Ratugolea.

But there are multiple options that could satisfy Melbourne, including even paying more of Grundy’s contract (he is owed $650,000 a year by the Demons) but handing over a later draft pick.

Would be better if you could trade during the draft after a selection. So if we get Curtain at 5 somehow, WC should be able to make us an offer still for him.
This is such an obvious thing for the AFL to allow. The clubs have only drafted the right to sign the player, so those rights should be trade assets for the remainder of the duration of the draft.

There are no contracts yet, they haven’t moved house or done anything disruptive to their life.

It would be like a form of reverse f/s or academy points matching.

This is such an obvious thing for the AFL to allow. The clubs have only drafted the right to sign the player, so those rights should be trade assets for the remainder of the duration of the draft.

There are no contracts yet, they haven’t moved house or done anything disruptive to their life.

It would be like a form of reverse f/s or academy points matching.
Yeah WC would be a million times easier to deal with if we guaranteed curtain with our pick, as it is they ain't gonna give it to us unless there's some back room hand shakes from other clubs guaranteeing they don't take him and not sure why they'd help us.

Yeah WC would be a million times easier to deal with if we guaranteed curtain with our pick, as it is they ain't gonna give it to us unless there's some back room hand shakes from other clubs guaranteeing they don't take him and not sure why they'd help us.
Probably requires North being happy to downgrade from pick 2 to 5 for something like a late first coming back their way. If they aren't keen on Curtin anyway they might do that deal. Means we've got less to give West Coast, probably pick 2 and a late first/FF.

They'd have to be willing to take 'unders' for Reid but thems the breaks if they only wanted to downgrade 1 pick. The caveat to that is that North aren't keen enough on Reid to spend two first rounders on him.

Pretty sure we’d just take Curtin if he made it all the way to our pick. Couldn’t see us stuffing around with more pick trades.

Curtin would be a great fit for our list.

They are the ones taking the risk with the future first, you have to throw in a good pick or else what's the benefit for them. You finish 12th next year and it's effectively 4 for 6 which is a bad deal for them. Pick 19 thrown in seems fair.
The most likely outcome is that they walk away with pick 1 in 2024. Every bookie already has us as spoon favourites and if it’s 1 for 4/5/6 in a straight swap you take that every time. It’s a risk for both clubs but I’d argue odds are Gold Coast wins the trade.

Hawks making a play for Bailey Smith might throw a spanner in the works.

The most likely outcome is that they walk away with pick 1 in 2024. Every bookie already has us as spoon favourites and if it’s 1 for 4/5/6 in a straight swap you take that every time. It’s a risk for both clubs but I’d argue odds are Gold Coast wins the trade.
Odds mean nothing. You're getting the favourable deal. Even if you finish 16th what's the incentive for GC to trade pick 4 now for pick 3 next year. Doesn't make any sense at all you're the one who wants the pick so you have to pay.

Odds mean nothing. You're getting the favourable deal. Even if you finish 16th what's the incentive for GC to trade pick 4 now for pick 3 next year. Doesn't make any sense at all you're the one who wants the pick so you have to pay.
They'd be trading so their academy selections don't eat up a first rounder. From that perspective it doesn't really matter if they get unders. the trouble is it puts them behind on points. So they've gotta find those elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back