Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems a good time to pin this:

OOC players:
  • Michael Hibberd (retired)
  • Deakyn Smith (delisted)
  • Andy Moniz-Wakefield
  • Jake Melksham (delisted, will be re-drafted as a rookie)
  • Luke Dunstan (retired)
  • James Jordon (signed with Sydney as a Free Agent)
  • Kye Turner (delisted)
Traded out:
  • James Harmes (Bulldogs)
  • Brodie Grundy (Sydney)
Traded in:
  • Tom Fullarton (Brisbane)
  • Jack Billings (St Kilda)
  • Shane McAdam (Adelaide)
Drafted:
  • Caleb Windsor (Pick 7)
  • Koltyn Tholstrup (Pick 13)
  • Kynan Brown (Rookie)

Last edited:

While I am banned from talking prospects, I hope we get a 3rd pick in, maybe top 20. Would be good to do a Butters/Rozee/Duursma or Jackson/Pickett/Rivers trio combo with high early impact.

Three first rounders for someone who has never played a game is a lot when there's no guarantees. It's the price for someone who is already a top 5 player in the comp.

Reid is hyped and maybe you'll be right but nothing to say he couldn't turn out to be the Brayshaw or the Trengove and pick 6 turns out to be a superstar.
Of course the best player in this draft might be picked in the 30’s like Max Gawn was.

Reid looks as good as a prospect as there’s ever been. Maybe he doesn’t reach the heights of the hype he’s getting but you’re only most likely giving up are solid role players that you can draft in later rounds or trade for later (Ed Langdon).

How often does a top 5 player in the comp request a trade to Melbourne? I’d rather take the punt that Reid ends up a top 5 player than a top 5 player requests to come to Melbourne. Now is the chance to get a player like this.

Ginni's weak as piss, he'd fit right in at our pissweak club :$
The lack of fight against Maynard in the finals was absolutely pathetic and I'm not letting them off the hook for at least a year until they show something. So yes, Ginnivan isn't going to help in this aspect. But he's off to the hawks, thankfully :)

The reality is tom mcdonald and ben brown have absolutely no plans for next year to be utilised over petty or JVR. It has become a problem its stalled our run. I think we will regress to 5-8th next year. Max gawn gets injured and we may even be playing for 7th-8th.

One of those should retire too put more pressure on us to move forward positively

Of course the best player in this draft might be picked in the 30’s like Max Gawn was.

Reid looks as good as a prospect as there’s ever been. Maybe he doesn’t reach the heights of the hype he’s getting but you’re only most likely giving up are solid role players that you can draft in later rounds or trade for later (Ed Langdon).

How often does a top 5 player in the comp request a trade to Melbourne? I’d rather take the punt that Reid ends up a top 5 player than a top 5 player requests to come to Melbourne. Now is the chance to get a player like this.

Fair enough to take the view that you're prepared to pay a high price for Reid because he might be generational, but I don't see how you can come to conclusion that picks 6 and 11 are only likely to be solid role players. Plenty of stars chosen throughout the top 15 picks.

Out of pick 6, 11 and a future first I'd be pretty disappointed if we didn't get at least 1 future star.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The reality is tom mcdonald and ben brown have absolutely no plans for next year to be utilised over petty or JVR. It has become a problem its stalled our run. I think we will regress to 5-8th next year. Max gawn gets injured and we may even be playing for 7th-8th.

One of those should retire too put more pressure on us to move forward positively

Every time I calm down someone mentions these dinosaurs and gets me all fired up again

I wonder if we can’t fill the Grundy cap space it is worth just paying out one of TMac/Brown completely.

Bring some of Trac or Clayton's payments forward surely.

Fair enough to take the view that you're prepared to pay a high price for Reid because he might be generational, but I don't see how you can come to conclusion that picks 6 and 11 are only likely to be solid role players. Plenty of stars chosen throughout the top 15 picks.

Out of pick 6, 11 and a future first I'd be pretty disappointed if we didn't get at least 1 future star.
Yes you can gets stars later in the top 15, but it’s slim.

Just looking at Petracca’s draft. These are the top 15 drafted players that have made one All Australian team.

Pick 2 Petracca 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023
Pick 9 Moore 2020, 2023
Pick 14 Lever 2021

12 of the top 15 haven’t made one All Australian team. Let alone someone that does it year in year out.

Petracca had star hype before he was drafted, and that is where Reid is also at.

There is actually another 7 players that draft to make an All Australian team that were drafted after 15. You can good players anywhere in the draft and we’ll have plenty of picks in the future to get these types, But getting the genuine superstars of the comp.

Maybe you get lucky and pick Caddy at 11 (C Curnow pick 12), but if you knew that you wouldn’t pick O’Sullivan (Weideman) a few picks before that.

Yes you can gets stars later in the top 15, but it’s slim.

Just looking at Petracca’s draft. These are the top 15 drafted players that have made one All Australian team.

Pick 2 Petracca 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023
Pick 9 Moore 2020, 2023
Pick 14 Lever 2021

12 of the top 15 haven’t made one All Australian team. Let alone someone that does it year in year out.

Petracca had star hype before he was drafted, and that is where Reid is also at.

There is actually another 7 players that draft to make an All Australian team that were drafted after 15. You can good players anywhere in the draft and we’ll have plenty of picks in the future to get these types, But getting the genuine superstars of the comp.

Maybe you get lucky and pick Caddy at 11 (C Curnow pick 12), but if you knew that you wouldn’t pick O’Sullivan (Weideman) a few picks before that.
Exactly. It varies from draft to draft and the reality is that most if not all of us on here are using hypotheticals and basing their opinions on some write ups and highlights. Our recruiting team have nailed way more picks than they've missed in recent years, so they deserve more backing and benefit of the doubt whichever way they go.

They've used this strategy of swapping mid-range and future picks to trade up for a small number of picks at the top end of the draft well enough in previous years to have earned more respect than they're being given. Even looking at last year it looks like their attempts to move up to get Bailey Humphrey would have been justified. Hopefully in time Jefferson proves that wrong but only time will tell.

If they're trading that sort of draft capital to get Reid there is a reason for it, and it's even more obvious than Humphrey or other years. Everyone knows Reid is a freak talent and good on the club for having a red hot crack at getting him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back