Preview 2023 Fixture - hopes, dreams, dreads

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah it was the Sanits game that was the final nail for Craig.

It was a Friday night game and Neil was sacked even before the sun came up on Saturday morning.

I've seen us get smashed before, but that game would have to be close to being the worst that I've ever seen us play.

From memory I reckon we kicked a goal early in the 2nd quarter and then didn't score again until getting a late junk time goal just before the siren in the last quarter.
I think I’ve told this story before, but the week before I think we played Sydney or Essendon at home and the crowd was low 20k and we lost.

Trigg said on the Monday morning the crowds weren’t staying away because of Craig. I used to email Trigg back in the day so I said he was wrong, clearly Craig had to go. He fired back and said I knew nothing about business, you have to support your staff and they’d make a decision when they had enough info.

Well I shot back, i said it’s a football club not a business, I said his loyalty isn’t with the coach, it’s with the club and members. There was enough evidence that Craig had to go, there was nothing more they needed to wait on and waiting was doing more harm.

Then that week we were smashed and Craig was gone.

So EC/CE/GC 1 - Trigg 0

Mind you I think it’s more like 25-2 over his time at the club

It was a Friday night game and Neil was sacked even before the sun came up on Saturday morning.

I've seen us get smashed before, but that game would have to be close to being the worst that I've ever seen us play.

From memory I reckon we kicked a goal early in the 2nd quarter and then didn't score again until getting a late junk time goal just before the siren in the last quarter.
The signs were there the previous week when we went into half time against Essendon with a six goal lead only to play some of the shittest football I've seen.

Remember also the Brisbane game in Brisbane in 2004 when we lost by 141 points.

Strange but for the first half we didn’t play that badly I thought whilst the Saints game we were woeful from the first bounce.

So todays our day to redeem tickets for gather round
Nothing on Ticketek yet online. Guess need to wait till 12:00

Should have received an SMS this morning with the link.

With tickets being free so many members, AFC and Carlton members will redeem today and not go. They should have charged.

Todays Herald Sun

AFL Fixture 2023: League confirms adjustment to weighted rule that will affect Hawthorn and Adelaide next year​

The AFL’s weighted rule has helped bottom-six teams in the fixture since 2013. But there’s been a slight adjustment – and it’s not good news for two clubs.

Hawthorn and Adelaide are the two biggest victims from a tweak to the AFL’s weighted rule, which will see the two clubs play an extra top-six team next year.
The AFL on Sunday confirmed it had adjusted the weighted rule to accommodate the extra round which means each club plays double-up games against six teams (instead of five) in 2023.

The league also confirmed there would be a pre-finals bye on September 2-3 next year, despite opposition from top-four clubs that it advantages teams in the lower part of the eight.

The change to the weighted rule dealt an extra hurdle for bottom-six teams Hawks and Crows who have to play two top-six teams in 2023.

It puts them on the same footing as top-six teams Collingwood and Melbourne who also only play two fellow top-six teams next year.

The Magpies welcomed their draw but paid a small price for the Anzac Day game falling on a Tuesday next year, meaning Collingwood only plays a total of three matches in the primetime Thursday and Friday night slots.

Essendon was also given double-up games against two top-six teams but will confront three teams below it on last year’s ladder from the bottom-six, in a boost for coach Brad Scott in his first year in charge
The Bombers’ fixture is considered one of the softer schedules, alongside cellar-dwellers North Melbourne and West Coast, who all have three double-up games against bottom-six sides.

Grand finalists Geelong and Sydney, and the Western Bulldogs and Fremantle face much tougher runs.

Previously, clubs who finished in the bottom-six played either zero or only one double-up game against top-six teams.

But the AFL has had to adjust the weighted rule to include the extra ‘Gather Round’ in South Australia next season which injects more money into the game.

Fixture boss Travis Auld there had been a low-key change to how the weighted system would work in 2023.
“The weighted rule remains central to the fixture, however we had to make an adjustment for the 24th round and add a sixth double-up match up for each club,” Auld said.

“You get a minimum of two and maximum of three double-up matches against teams in your bracket of six, and either one or two double-up games in each of the other two groups of six.”
The weighted rule, which divides the competition into a top-six, middle-six and bottom-six based on last year’s ladder, has been heavily supported by clubs and has been successful for helping create a more fair and interesting fixture since it was introduced in 2013.

But it means the Hawks tackle premiership contenders Fremantle and Melbourne twice and the Crows will meet Brisbane and Collingwood twice.

That is compared to other years where bottom-six clubs attempted to avoid any double-up games against premiership heavyweights.

Carlton is another club with two games against top-six teams as Michael Voss looks to steer the Blues back into the eight for the first time in a decade next year.

West Coast, North Melbourne, GWS Giants and St Kilda all play only one double-up game against the top-six teams.

Hawthorn was not given any Thursday or Friday night games in the first 15 rounds as Sam Mitchell faces a tough year in charge of the rebuilding Hawks who traded out star midfielders Tom Mitchell and Jaeger O’Meara.

The Hawks were handed the annual Easter Monday blockbuster clash against Geelong at the MCG but were otherwise locked out of the primetime spots.

Should have received an SMS this morning with the link.

With tickets being free so many members, AFC and Carlton members will redeem today and not go. They should have charged.
so do members have to get tickets to Adelaide game or is it part of the membership?

That fixture looks very difficult upon a quick glance. 13 of of our 22 matches seem to be against a top 8 team, the AFL has done us no favours. Away trips to Ballarat, Darwin, Tasmania tops off shit sandwich of a draw. Add in Rory Sloane front and centre on the promo which means we likely to have to put up with him as captain and guaranteed selection for 22 rounds.

Last edited:
I think I’ve told this story before, but the week before I think we played Sydney or Essendon at home and the crowd was low 20k and we lost.

Trigg said on the Monday morning the crowds weren’t staying away because of Craig. I used to email Trigg back in the day so I said he was wrong, clearly Craig had to go. He fired back and said I knew nothing about business, you have to support your staff and they’d make a decision when they had enough info.

Well I shot back, i said it’s a football club not a business, I said his loyalty isn’t with the coach, it’s with the club and members. There was enough evidence that Craig had to go, there was nothing more they needed to wait on and waiting was doing more harm.

So EC/CE/GC 1 - Trigg 0

I only ever emailed Trigg once and that was back when Neil Craig was first given the job and surprisingly I actually got a response back from him too.

I can't remember all the details in the email, but I was complaining about the selection process and said that many supporters felt the selection process was a formality. It was widely rumoured that Craig had already been promised the job and that Craig's credentials didn't match up to Terry Wallace or Rodney Eade and failed to see how Craig could have won the job after the Brisbane game unless it was already promised to him.

Trigg said something along the lines of Neil Craig deserves the respect and support of members and we shouldn't be concerned about the selection process and should only be judging him on his results from next year (2005).

As much as I wasn't a fan of Trigg, he definitely didn't seem afraid to respond to email from members that were being sent to him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So EC/CE/GC 1 - Trigg 0

We'd played Sydney in front of 23,000-ish people on a Saturday night in wet and wild conditions - and won what was one of the upsets of the season.

The game against Essendon the week after was a Friday night game, which got around 40k from memory.

Then there was the St Kilda disaster, which sealed Craig's fate. On a side note, St Kilda's next win against us after that night was in 2020.

Remember also the Brisbane game in Brisbane in 2004 when we lost by 141 points.

Strange but for the first half we didn’t play that badly I thought whilst the Saints game we were woeful from the first bounce.

I still scratch my head as to how he got a 3 year deal after that game. Which was followed by the infamous Friday night game against North Melbourne the week after where in perfect conditions we were kept goalless to the third quarter (though we still somehow managed to win the game).

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2023 Fixture - hopes, dreams, dreads

Remove this Banner Ad

Back