Preview 2023 Fixture - hopes, dreams, dreads

Remove this Banner Ad

3 game membership is a good deal at 105. Richmond, Collingwood, Freo/Carlton seem to be the pick of the home games.

I know everyone has a go at the likes of Collingwood/Richmond regarding their favouritism with regards to the fixture. Lets understand that they, and no different to us get 11 home games which are all at the G and then they can get away games against sides whose home ground is the G - likes of Collingwood, Richmond, Melbourne and Hawthorn then you have those based at Marvel who want their home game against Collingwood/Richmond being played at the G and finally you have Geelong who would prefer to have their home game against Collingwood/Richmond being played at the G rather than GMHBA.

So to get 14-16 games at the G isn’t that difficult at all.

Given their are only 8 non-Victorian sides, you would expect at most 6 games away from Melbourne.

The issue we should have is why do we have to go to all corners of the country.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My wifi onboard my shit was terrible.
Couldn't get on for tickets

Moved elsewhere and piggy backing off another wifi network

However, I came up after the member-presale finished

And now the public want tickets

Gargh

Finally got them though

2/3 bays away from normal, but front row of the Eastern Grandstand instead of the 2nd row.

I used to go to Melbourne for 2/3 games a year because we had half a dozen to choose from and you could choose rounds with good games in the other rounds. Port always requested a home game ANZAC game and ours always seemed to be in Melbourne so I'd go over for that weekend. Last year we played on Mars.

Looking at it this year with the rolling fixture there is only 1 locked in.

I know it probably doesn't make sense to criticise all things Victorian but then also complain that we're not really part of it any more, but they are good weekends away.

And I think Melbourne and Victorian memberships was a pretty big part of the clubs focus 10 or so years ago.

But I keep saying it, we're always going to get the Victorian clubs in the games they sell to regional stadiums because those clubs need away games vs. Melbourne clubs so that they can still sell 11 game memberships (they give them make up games where they are the away team)

I just wan't to know, do other teams get it as much as us?

Adelaide - 3 Marvel/MCG
Brisbane - 6 Marvel/MCG
Fremantle - 5 Marvel/MCG
Gold Coast - 4 Marvel/MCG
GWS - 3 Marvel/MCG (similar tour of Aus to us)
Port - 6 Marvel/MCG
Sydney - 5 Marvel/MCG
West Coast - 5 Marvel/MCG

So we've got the GWS/Gold Coast treatment from the AFL (and they both sell games to regional areas), so there are games to go around, we don't seem to be getting them.

You could argue ladder, but we finished higher than the Eagles last year. The year before Collingwood finished bottom 2 but they don't lose their commercially favourable draw. Port finished just a couple of games above us and have 6 games. Carlton finished 9th and have 7 Thursday and Friday night games in the first half of the year, and years where we are top 4 we don't get it that good the following year.

I'm sure they run it all through a formula of how many people will turn up or tune in anyway if we give them Sunday Twilight vs. Saturday Night. Just feels like as supporters we're punished for being a strong group that turns up and travels, but not big enough as a club to make any noise and force change.

Last edited:
I used to go to Melbourne for 2/3 games a year because we had a few to choose from and you could choose rounds with good games in the other rounds. Port always requested a home game ANZAC game and ours always seemed to be in Melbourne so I'd go over for that weekend. Last year we played on Mars.

Looking at it this year with the rolling fixture there is only 1 locked in.

I know it probably doesn't make sense to criticise all things Victorian but then also complain that we're not really part of it any more, but they are good weekends away.

And I think Melbourne and Victorian memberships was a pretty big part of the clubs focus 10 or so years ago.

But I keep saying it, we're always going to get the Victorian clubs in the games they sell to regional stadiums because those clubs need away games vs. Melbourne clubs so that they can still sell 11 game memberships (they give them make up games where they are the away team)

I just wan't to know, do other teams get it as much as us?

Adelaide - 3 Marvel/MCG
Brisbane - 6 Marvel/MCG
Fremantle - 5 Marvel/MCG
Gold Coast - 4 Marvel/MCG
GWS - 3 Marvel/MCG (similar tour of Aus to us)
Port - 6 Marvel/MCG
Sydney - 5 Marvel/MCG
West Coast - 5 Marvel/MCG

So we've got the GWS/Gold Coast treatment from the AFL (and they both sell games to regional areas), so there are games to go around, we don't seem to be getting them.

You could argue ladder, but we finished higher than the Eagles last year. The year before Collingwood finished bottom 2 but they don't lose their commercially favourable draw. Port finished just a couple of games above us and have 6 games. Carlton finished 9th and have 7 Thursday and Friday night games in the first half of the year, and years where we are top 4 we don't get it that good the following year.

I'm sure they run it all through a formula of how many people will turn up or tune in anyway if we give them Sunday Twilight vs. Saturday Night. Just feels like as supporters we're punished for being a strong group that turns up and travels, but not big enough as a club to make any noise and force change.

I’d say Brisbane and Sydney have original Vic roots (Fitzroy and Sth Melb) so they have a minimum no of games in Melbourne.

You nailed it in the last paragraph tho.

The only positive is that our supporter base nationwide gets to see our club and that we also provide an impetus to the local economy.

At least 4 of the six double ups are against bottom 8 sides - or at least they were this year.

Everywhere but Canberra is disappointing, I might blow one of my 3 game GWS membership on a trip up the highway for R1.

Two preliminary finalists for a bottom 6 team is pretty rude. Yet another Kardinia Park game.

It's curious how the shit fixtures sometimes turn out to be OK as some of the poor sides from last season that you wanted to play twice suddenly get good, and double ups you dread give you two wins.

Would not have called us beating West Coast (9th in 2021) twice when this year's draw came out but would have thought the hapless Collingwood (17th in 2021) would hand us two easy wins.

Would have been long odds to break even in the showdowns after Port made the 2021 prelim too.

I know everyone has a go at the likes of Collingwood/Richmond regarding their favouritism with regards to the fixture. Lets understand that they, and no different to us get 11 home games which are all at the G and then they can get away games against sides whose home ground is the G - likes of Collingwood, Richmond, Melbourne and Hawthorn then you have those based at Marvel who want their home game against Collingwood/Richmond being played at the G and finally you have Geelong who would prefer to have their home game against Collingwood/Richmond being played at the G rather than GMHBA.

Given their are only 8 non-Victorian sides, you would expect at most 6 games away from Melbourne.

I don’t mind going to all corners of the country when home ground advantage is sold, but when we play a Melbourne side it should be at a finals venue. Every single time. Nothing against Ballarat and Tassie, just we shouldn’t play there. That’s where other Melbourne sides that presently get over a dozen games at the finals venues should play.

Interesting this year they seem to have evened it out. Only 14 games at the G.

Collingwood - 14 Games at MCG, 3 at Marvel, 3 at AO, 1 Optus, 1 at Metricon, 1 Gabba,

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2023 Fixture - hopes, dreams, dreads

Remove this Banner Ad

Back