List Mgmt. 2023 List Management and Trading (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you have a link to the article? I can't find anything on Google or the AFL website. Not doubting you, just trying to find the article you referenced.
From the article below:

"For instance, it would have allowed Adelaide to list one of Rory Sloane or Taylor Walker as a veteran for 2024 and opened up another spot on their primary list. The idea was designed to keep veterans in the game without sacrificing a list spot that a youngster may have taken, with the veteran’s full payments still counted in the salary cap."

There's a link in the post above

So likely 2 national draftees, and 1 rookie list player going by that?
Can we also sign Cat B rookies in place of Borlase and Newchurch as well?
Wondering how Murray's brother ties in - presuming if he is training on he would need an open spot.

If no one else is delisted, 2 main draft, 2 rookie draft picks. Borlase obviously being planned as one of the rookie picks, however, now that he's been delisted, he can sign for anyone as a DFA, should he get offers.

Cat B rookie spots are now free, yes, so we can sign another 2 if we can find any.

If no one else is delisted, 2 main draft, 2 rookie draft picks. Borlase obviously being planned as one of the rookie picks, however, now that he's been delisted, he can sign for anyone as a DFA, should he get offers.

Cat B rookie spots are now free, yes, so we can sign another 2 if we can find any.
I'll be disappointed if we can't find at least 1 for Cat B. It's a free swing, and means one less supplementary player needed in the twos.

Murray upgraded, Borlase delisted, to be picked up as a rookie. Parnell not mentioned means he gets another year on the rookie list.

We still only have 2 spots, so either we're trading up/out or someone will be delisted before list lodgement on Nov 13.
So what's our likely plan here? I think we trade 14 to Fremantle for an F1 (probably Port's), and take Wilson and Goad at 10 and 20.

I'll be disappointed if we can't find at least 1 for Cat B. It's a free swing, and means one less supplementary player needed in the twos.
Cat B's are harder to find, though. There's not that many players with AFL level potential who haven't played competitive footy for three+ years.

Only other option is Ireland, and I don't think we have an eye on anyone.

Why is someone always calling 2 spots available.

Just from the Crows website it advises.

"The Crows have Picks 10, 14 and 20 in the National Draft. "

Why wouldn't we have an eye on an Irish or USA prospect?
We should.
I think every club picks over the possible players in Ireland.

The total Irish population isn't even 2/3 that of Queensland, and we don't always see multiple draftees every year from Queensland. Plus - Gaelic football wouldn't be as widely played as soccer, say, so there's only so many draft age players there.

The USA? I guess it's worth trying, but it hasn't been that successful so far.

Last edited:
Why is someone always calling 2 spots available.

Just from the Crows website it advises.

"The Crows have Picks 10, 14 and 20 in the National Draft. "

Because we technically only have 2 main list spots open. We have 36 contracted players on the main list, and the maximum we can have is 38.

I think every club picks over the possible players in Ireland.

The total Irish population is only 2/3 that of Queensland, and we don't always see multiple draftees every year from Queensland. Plus - Gaelic football wouldn't be as widely played as soccer, say, so there's only so many draft age players there.

The USA? I guess it's worth trying, but it hasn't been that successful so far.
I get that the odds of finding an AFL level talent are low.
But it's a free swing at that gamble vs doing nothing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adelaide has made the following list changes ahead of the National Draft.

Third-year rookie Nick Murray will be elevated to the primary list in line with AFL rules ahead of the first list lodgement due on October 31.

The Club has also advised defender James Borlase that he will be delisted, but has committed to re-selecting him in the rookie draft to continue his career at West Lakes in 2024.

Paul Seedsman and Fischer McAsey will both be removed from the inactive list and the Club has previously announced that Jackson Hately, Andrew McPherson, Tyler Brown and Tariek Newchurch have been delisted and thanked them for their contribution.

The Crows have Picks 10, 14 and 20 in the National Draft which will be held over two nights on November 20-21. The pre-season and rookie drafts will be held on November 22.

Why wouldn't we have an eye on an Irish or USA prospect?
We should.
I'm totally guessing here, but I imagine international talent spotting costs money - included in the soft cap? - and the risk/reward profile of that investment may well be swaying to the higher risk side.

You have to choose which basket to put the eggs in sometimes.

I get that the odds of finding an AFL level talent are low.
But it's a free swing at that gamble vs doing nothing.
Cost vs Benefit. The cost of overseas scouting is very high, and history shows that the benefit is usually low.

Adelaide's first foray into Irish recruitment didn't go well - we brought 2 players over, 1 of whom went home before the end of the pre-season. The other stuck it out for 2 years, barely reaching SANFL standard in that time. The club pretty much swore off wasting money on the Emerald Isle after that.

Keane is a different beast, having already proven himself at Collingwood, he wasn't the unknown quantity that Brian Donnelly and Carl Dias were.

For every Jim Stynes, Tadgh Kenneally, and Zach Tuohy, there are 5x Donnellys and Diases, who never make it past first base.

At present we only have 2x senior list vacancies, and 3x draft picks with which to fill them (assuming we're not planning on using our late late picks).

Either we trade our 3x picks, turning them into 2x picks (plus possibly a future pick) - or we need to delist a contracted player, with a view to re-signing them during the DFA window between ND and RD, putting them on the rookie list.

Assuming nobody gazumps us, by selecting Borlase as a DFA, then we'll be making 3x live picks - though it could be 2x ND + 1x RD, or 3x ND and 0x RD.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2023 List Management and Trading (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back