List Mgmt. 2023 List Management and Trading (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you have a link to the article? I can't find anything on Google or the AFL website. Not doubting you, just trying to find the article you referenced.
From the article below:

"For instance, it would have allowed Adelaide to list one of Rory Sloane or Taylor Walker as a veteran for 2024 and opened up another spot on their primary list. The idea was designed to keep veterans in the game without sacrificing a list spot that a youngster may have taken, with the veteran’s full payments still counted in the salary cap."

There's a link in the post above

I think every club picks over the possible players in Ireland.

The total Irish population isn't even 2/3 that of Queensland, and we don't always see multiple draftees every year from Queensland. Plus - Gaelic football wouldn't be as widely played as soccer, say, so there's only so many draft age players there.

The USA? I guess it's worth trying, but it hasn't been that successful so far.
This is purely a hunch, but Gaelic players play an amateur sport. The chance to be paid six figures to play a similar sport is likely very enticing.

There are five leagues in the US where athletes can earn more than the AFL (and that’s just team sports). It’s likely that any athletes that would be interested in making a move are ones who haven’t made it there.

It’s a little bit needle in a haystack as to finding who would be AFL standard in a short period of time.

I'm totally guessing here, but I imagine international talent spotting costs money - included in the soft cap? - and the risk/reward profile of that investment may well be swaying to the higher risk side.

You have to choose which basket to put the eggs in sometimes.
Binuk Kodituwakku works for Duke University in their football department at the moment while still consulting with us, so we should have a set of eyes over there already.

This is purely a hunch, but Gaelic players play an amateur sport. The chance to be paid six figures to play a similar sport is likely very enticing.

There are five leagues in the US where athletes can earn more than the AFL (and that’s just team sports). It’s likely that any athletes that would be interested in making a move are ones who haven’t made it there.

It’s a little bit needle in a haystack as to finding who would be AFL standard in a short period of time.
Generally why the US ones who are tried are rucks or key forwards, because as the old saying goes "you can't teach height".

I get there is some nuance here with list spots etc but if we lose Borlase somehow during a KPD crisis then we are playing a fools game.
He's not so good that we would have issues finding a player of similar talent level with a rookie pick from the state leagues.

He's preferable because he's been in our system 3 years already, but they'd have contingency plans in place because it's not a guaranteed thing he'll be available. Provided we pick him with our 1st pick we know Port can't cut our lunch there.

I get there is some nuance here with list spots etc but if we lose Borlase somehow during a KPD crisis then we are playing a fools game.
Yeah , nah

He was alright. Got found out a bit in the Brissie game (from memory). There was one in our "KPD crisis" where he was subbed out because he was getting a bath.

If another club does take him (even though they have had every opportunity to get him up until now and none have ever bothered), there are plenty of better ones we can get for a rookie spot that would do just as good a job for us next year, if not better.

It's not a crisis at all, Burgess>>>Borlase...

Crows list boss Justin Reid said the addition of he versatile 27-year-old addressed some of the club's key-position needs.

"We are very pleased with the deal," Reid said.
"Firstly, to get Chris to the club, he is an athletic key position player who has the versatility to play forward or back which we know is important in today's game.

"And it's an opportunity for Chris to continue his AFL career in his home state, he is a quality person who will bring a lot to our team both on and off the field.

"In addition to that, receiving pick 14 strengthens our draft hand as we look to add more top-end talent to our playing list."
The bold text clearly means Burgess is better

Yeah it’s looking like just the two picks I think

Dunno if that means trade up or trade out

So we either:
  • intend to delist another player before the last list lodgement
  • have some sort of deal agreed to trade up or trade out Pick 20, to be done before the last list lodgement

No way can we take 3 first rounders to the draft with 2 list spots available, would get absolutely fleeced in any Pick trade.

So we either:
  • have some sort of deal agreed to trade up or trade out Pick 20, to be done before the last list lodgement

No way can we take 3 first rounders to the draft with 2 list spots available, would get absolutely fleeced in any Pick trade.
Yeah still got a couple more weeks to work things out, but we can’t let ourselves get into a vulnerable position like the latter scenario

FWIW I think there’s a slight chance that if we trade out, the pick we trade could also be 14, depending on the offers we get

So we either:

we've got at least 2 players who we could delist and not go backwards if they were nabbed. Stupid if we don't delist another player.

Borlase was completely serviceable when needed end of last year. Where are all these players we could just pick up? Why haven't we done that then? Why are we wasting time on Borlase?

Oh but it's fine we traded in the leading goalkicker in the VFL to play down back.

I assume this makes sense to the people here playing football manager.

Honestly, I'm annoyed we've guaranteed him a rookie spot.

With only 55 or so main list picks, there will be good talents who are unselected and available as rookies. But we'll have no ability to take them because we've committed to Borlase, someone who's not going to be no more than a middling backup.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With only 55 or so main list picks, there will be good talents who are unselected and available as rookies. But we'll have no ability to take them because we've committed to Borlase, someone who's not going to be no more than a middling backup.
Are we allowed to use the "Sloane" word? Someone was always going to mis out for his super payout.

Borlase was completely serviceable when needed end of last year. Where are all these players we could just pick up? Why haven't we done that then? Why are we wasting time on Borlase?

Oh but it's fine we traded in the leading goalkicker in the VFL to play down back.

I think you're trying to say "barely serviceable", not completely serviceable.

He's the backup to the backup.

Not gonna lie, when we got Burgess I thought that was going to be the Borlase replacement

But I’m not too upset as there will only probably be around 10-15 new Cat A rookies selected, maximum, and we might be able to grab an SSP if Schoenberg’s achilles isn’t looking good

We could easily have delisted and privately communicated to him that we would offer a rookie list spot.

I think by making it public, we are hoping another team picks him up and frees up a spot.

We haven’t done because we can sign as a delisted free agent or via national or rookie drafts

Connor McFadyen is a good example. Delisted by Brisbane. Made SANFL Team of the Year playing for Sturt. Ahead of Borlase. Only 2 years older than Borlase.

I’m not saying we should get McFadyen. Just saying if we lost Borlase and took McFadyen, it wouldn’t be a net loss.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2023 List Management and Trading (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back