List Mgmt. 2023 List Management and Trading

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well tell me again - why is Laird b-grade?

Then look at the comparison.

Then see if your brain can make the leap.
I really couldnt care less about the statistics..

i can see cripps is a shitload better than laird simply by watching the way the two play the bloody game.

laird is an accumulator that doesnt do much damage to oppositions even though he gets plenty of the footy.. whilst Cripps is one of the comps best mids who is extremely damaging and can tear games apart..

even attempting to compare the two in anyway is simply embarrassing.

its as crazy as Mutineer attempting to say Ben Keays was as good as Christian petracca earlier this year… cause their DE% was similar!…

using stats to compare players is fraught with danger especially given an “effective disposal“ only needs to go close (to his advantage) to a team mate in a contest!..

its fxxkn bullshit.. a player that hack kicks a footy that lands closer to his team mate than his team mates opponent gets the same “marks“ as a bloke that instead delivers it lace out onto his team mates chest.

the game is full of bullshit meaningless stats that have been dreamt up by boring morons.. its just silly to use them to try and compare one player to another.

I really couldnt care less about the statistics..

i can see cripps is a shitload better than laird simply by watching the way the two play the bloody game.

laird is an accumulator that doesnt do much damage to oppositions even though he gets plenty of the footy.. whilst Cripps is one of the comps best mids who is extremely damaging and can tear games apart..

even attempting to compare the two in anyway is simply embarrassing.

its as crazy as Mutineer attempting to say Ben Keays was as good as Christian petracca earlier this year… cause their DE% was similar!…

using stats to compare players is fraught with danger especially given an “effective disposal“ only needs to go close (to his advantage) to a team mate in a contest!..

its fxxkn bullshit.. a player that hack kicks a footy that lands closer to his team mate than his team mates opponent gets the same “marks“ as a bloke that instead delivers it lace out onto his team mates chest.

the game is full of bullshit meaningless stats that have been dreamt up by boring morons.. its just silly to use them to try and compare one player to another.

So you see Cripps as a good ball user by foot and an accurate shot on goal?

I reckon I’ve watched about as much footy as a 51 year old could watch … and I immediately thought of Cripps when you said Laird was a b grade player because his kicking out of the middle and his shots on goal.

Look at the disposal efficiency. Look at the clangers … even if you don’t believe in statistics. Surely even you can admit you picked the wrong attributes to try and paint Laird as ordinary.

The other one that came to mind was Taranto… he’ll probably win the tigers b&f and is a shocking kick.

So you see Cripps as a good ball user by foot and an accurate shot on goal?

I reckon I’ve watched about as much footy as a 51 year old could watch … and I immediately thought of Cripps when you said Laird was a b grade player because his kicking out of the middle and his shots on goal.

Look at the disposal efficiency. Look at the clangers … even if you don’t believe in statistics. Surely even you can admit you picked the wrong attributes to try and paint Laird as ordinary.

The other one that came to mind was Taranto… he’ll probably win the tigers b&f and is a shocking kick.

Laird is definitely a better kick than Taranto and likely Cripps

Cripps wins huge contests with his size and strength and is good overhead and can go forward and kick big goals which he has all of these over Laird

I’d see Laird more as a Lachie Neale lite , gets those little loose balls 2M from congestion and picks them up clean and handballs or kicks ….. biggest strength is consistency and doing little things right . A true professional but not elite

Yeah, when you compare Laird to a top line mid like Cripps it really shows how insightful you are ….

So Laird is more efficient than Cripps ......73%

But Laird is also more efficient than Oliver .....Laird (73%) versus Oliver (67%)

1693823909330.png

That said, you'll find most of the AFL inside mid's disposals suffer, due to scrambling kicks out of congestion

BTW Bearded Clam .....Petracca only runs at 67% DE as well ......approx same ave disposals, same breakup of contested versus uncontested possessions

Laird is definitely a better kick than Taranto and likely Cripps

Cripps wins huge contests with his size and strength and is good overhead and can go forward and kick big goals which he has all of these over Laird

I’d see Laird more as a Lachie Neale lite , gets those little loose balls 2M from congestion and picks them up clean and handballs or kicks ….. biggest strength is consistency and doing little things right . A true professional but not elite
Not a lot of 178cm Mids, with ave speed make the grade ....Laird fell to the Rookie Draft, because he was considered too small

The guy has been a mainstay of this Club for many years .....and continues to be a driving force in matches, despite some obvious negative bias

So Laird is more efficient than Cripps ......73%

But Laird is also more efficient than Oliver .....Laird (73%) versus Oliver (67%)

View attachment 1793979

That said, you'll find most of the AFL inside mid's disposals suffer, due to scrambling kicks out of congestion

BTW Bearded Clam .....Petracca only runs at 67% DE as well ......approx same ave disposals, same breakup of contested versus uncontested possessions
like I said.. could not give a flying fxxk about the stats..

at its most basic.. if you picked laird in your team before Petracca, Oliver or Cripps… you’re a fxxkn moron.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So far I've seen the following names rumoured to us:

Aleer
BZT
Williams
Chesser
Sheed
Hayward

Following rumoured to be on way out:

Crouch
Sholl
McAdam
Doedee
Borlase

Obviously not all will happen.
Still reckon Dylan Stephens is a monty to come to us at end of the year. Nearing that magical 50 game mark too. Has there been any media talk about him coming to us?

Talia 2009 off the top of my head.
Looking at things since 2009 (Talia)
2010 - Brodie Smith - SA
2011 - Sam Kerridge - Vic, but not AFL standard (also not technically in the 1st round)
2012 - Pond Scum penalties, no 1st round pick
2013 - Pond Scum penalties, Crouch our 1st pick at #23 - Victorian who we got the best from
2014 - Jake Lever - Vic, but left early
2015 - Milera (SA) & Doedee (Vic) - Doedee probably qualifies, as a Victorian who has hung around long enough to qualify for Free Agency
2016 - Gallucci - Vic, but not AFL standard
2017 - Darcy Fogarty - SA
2018 - Chayce Jones - Tas - Not Vic, but appears likely to make it, and appears to be hanging around (at least until the Tasmanian team enters the comp)
2019 - Fischer McAsey - Vic - Mental Health issues meant we never saw the best of him
2020 - Riley Thilthorpe & Luke Pedlar - both SA
2021 - Josh Rachele - Vic - Too early to say that we've got the best of him, but the signs are good so far
2022 - Max Michelanney - SA

So, in that time we've picked 6x Vic players in the 1st round. Kerridge & Gallucci weren't good enough. Lever left early. McAsey had mental health issues. However, Doedee appears to qualify.

I also give an honourable mention to Matt Crouch, who was drafted from Victoria and is still on our list after 10 years. His inclusion is borderline, given that he was selected at pick #23, early in the 2nd round. He was, however, our 1st selection in that year's ND. Call it how you will.

like I said.. could not give a flying fxxk about the stats..

at its most basic.. if you picked laird in your team before Petracca, Oliver or Cripps… you’re a fxxkn moron.

Yes Clam … but that wasn’t what we were discussing.

You said Laird was ordinary because his disposal was ineffective. My, and others, point is … that can’t be the reason because most of the best players in the Centre have poor disposal stats.

The only moron in this discussion is you.

So far I've seen the following names rumoured to us:

Aleer
BZT
Williams
Chesser
Sheed
Hayward

Following rumoured to be on way out:

Crouch
Sholl
McAdam
Doedee
Borlase

Obviously not all will happen.
Sheed has lost pace .....is now on a par, pace-wise, with Sloane

Aleer is interesting, however I thought he'd just signed a new Contract during this season .....which IIRC doesn't allow him to be traded

Laird gets a lot of posessions.

Laird does a lot of tackling.

But laird isnt a top line midfielder.

His kicking is inconsistent.. Sure, he can nail the odd very good pass into our forward line but, lets face it, his kicks are more often than not hack kicks that often travel halfway to the moon..

His kicking for goal on the run out of a contest (stoppage) is pretty good.. but you wouldnt be betting on his set shot kicking.. sometimes he nails them.. sometimes he doesnt.

He’s the best option out of him, keays and sloane.. but if Crouch stays and can continue on with the same form then I’d have this new “take the game on” crouch of the last few weeks in the middle over Laird.. crouch has better skills.

But both Crouch and Laird in the same centre square bounce isnt a good thing which makes it difficult for balance of the 22.

Laird IMO is a solid B+ midfielder.. to be an
A-grader you need to be far more damaging with your posessions than Rory Laird is.

We need Laird midfield minutes to be reduced and shared with Pedlar, rach and rankine

We need Taylor and Dowling to step up too.. lads with skills.

The weakest link is still our midfield.

i think laird would be very effective as a forward if we chose to rotate him through there.

And why the fxxk do you think I’m “flying off the handle?”..

I’m sitting back two beers in all relaxed just responding to a few comments on here.. heart rates barely hitting 60..

just cause I‘ve spent my life on construction sites and use colourful language doesnt instantly mean I’m “flying off the handle”..

spent a few years on construction sites, if you're not swearing, nobody's listening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back