Strategy 2023 Midpricers Madness

Remove this Banner Ad

Playing around with my team... and have some ramblings on some MP's

:whitecheck: Hopper - 25yo now, and if he can replicate his 2021 average, will make $150k easily. Should be much easier under Dimma than Loopy Leon. Tick.
:whitecheck: Fyfe - Needs a good run early, then an upgrade him to a fallen premo once the inevitable injury occurs. Good chance at being rested too. Tick.
:whitecheck: Allen - At his price with JJK gone, a fully hit Allen should easily make $150k. If he plays and moves well pre-season, he's a lock. Tick.
❔❔ Cunnington - Could he be this year's Doc? Brilliant at his best. Watchlist (Great to see them both fully recovered!)
:crossmark: Coffield - What am I missing here? No consistency, injury prone, and wildly fluctuating scores. Too risky. Pass.
:crossmark: Clark - As per his Saints teammate above. Pass.
:crossmark: Yeo - Burn man. Never again. Pass.
❔❔ TT - Talented but unsettled young man. Huge risk, but one to watch under Clarko's tutelage, especially at his price. Watchlist.
:crossmark: Salem - Great to watch but can he average enough to be a keeper or to make $150k? Doubtful. Pass.
❔❔ Bowes - Doubt he is immediately best 22. Might be a part of the rotation the Cats are renowned for. Pre-season will reveal more. Watchlist.

Oh and I think MP's are priced above the most expensive rookie, but below $500k. I have McLean, but he's rookie-priced.

v1.8.44

mpm. made just for this thread.

View attachment 1581515

Fran Healy Reaction GIF by Travis
apocalypse now horror GIF by Maudit

What about Tucker 270K switched from Freo to North this year?

I seem to remember having a bit of a watch on him a few years ago, but I hardly ever watch Freo, and his raw numbers don’t look too flash

Anyone got info / baseless opinions?

He's a crab.

I also had high hopes at one point but too slow, doesn't get enough of it and not good enough as an out and out mid even at Norf.

Will average 75 at best if not dropped by mid year.

stolen from waynos help thread... got me thinking about midpricers though.

View attachment 1582213
Any love for Ben King? Based on the table above, he’d only need to score c. 65 to make $150k. We know he’s playing 22 games if fit and I’m expecting GC to improve again.

I may end up with a fwd group similar to last year - 2 premos and 4 cash cows with good J/S (eg. McLean, King, Allen, TT, Comben, Berry etc.) [last year was Conig, Brodie, McGov, Xerri]

Last edited:
Any love for Ben King? Based on the table above, he’d only need to score c. 65 to make $150k. We know he’s playing 22 games if fit and I’m expecting GC to improve again.

I may end up with a fwd group similar to last year - 2 premos and 4 cash cows with good J/S (eg. McLean, King, Allen, TT, Comben, Berry etc.) [last year was Conig, Brodie, McGov, Xerri]
Not sure both Allen and King are needed. If you take both it's likely you'll be fielding at least one soon and they will squirt out some bad scores.

Not sure both Allen and King are needed. If you take both it's likely you'll be fielding at least one soon and they will squirt out some bad scores.

I get that as kpfs dont traditionally score that well although both have very good JS so it depends what you are after.

I get that as kpfs dont traditionally score that well although both have very good JS so it depends what you are after.
Allen highly thought of by WC ....elevated to the Leadership Group ....I reckon he's good for 70-75 average this season

Allen highly thought of by WC ....elevated to the Leadership Group ....I reckon he's good for 70-75 average this season

Yes I think he will be great in Supercoach and looking at his previous games he loves to tackle as well.
He had a good patch in 2020 as well he scored 117,110,69,152 in 4 games if he does something like that he would be $400k in no time.

I feel like there are heaps of value mid-pricers across the board but my plan team is trending more towards guns n rookies :huh: I never go pure guns n rookies and usually take a punt on a couple POD mid-pricers but at the moment my team looks pretty generic and with only 4-5 mid-pricers. Yet, i feel like there are heaps of viable mid-priced options, more than most years. I guess the best way i can describe it is by saying there are plenty of mid-pricers with potential across the board but very few 'certainties'. In fact, beyond Fyfe, all other mid-pricers seem speculative. You could even argue that Fyfe is far from a certainty.

Fyfe/Allen/Bowes/Coffield are my current mid-pricers and you could almost argue Allen and Coffield are rookie-priced. Originally i was loading my backline with mid-pricers but again i think plenty of good options but no great ones. Bowes and Coffield only come in because they are cheap. Just thought id note that because usually the more i change my team, the more it gravitates towards mid-pricer madness but this (pre) season it is going the opposite way.

What about Tucker 270K switched from Freo to North this year?

I seem to remember having a bit of a watch on him a few years ago, but I hardly ever watch Freo, and his raw numbers don’t look too flash

Anyone got info / baseless opinions?
Tucker’s crossed my mind a bit because I could see Clarko giving him lots of outside mid time for this season, as the wing was one of our most problematic positions all last year (big call, I know), and he’s shown he can cover good distances.

But ultimately his previous scoring is average, his position and JS is still too uncertain given his asking price, and there are at least 7 north Melbourne players that represent better value at this juncture.

The midpricers/rookie priced senior players im considering, obviously all subject to a lot of change before round 1

DEF
Salem 390k- is a no at this stage
Yeo 337k- 50 50 chance.
Clark 315k- 50 50 chance.
Bowes 277k- in
D'Ambrosio 277k-will find room if named rd1
Coffield 208k- in
McKenna 167k- in

MID
Hopper 332k- 🔒
Sheed 332k- in
Phillips 158k- in
Baker 123k- in

FWD
Fyfe 313k- 50 50 chance
Owens 249k- no at this stage
Allen 210k- in
McLean 178k- in
King 176k- in
I like this list and bolded the guys I'm likely to have in my team + TT (too cheap to ignore)

12 seems like a lot, but 6 of them are rookie priced - so all good, the more MPM the merrier :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like this list and bolded the guys I'm likely to have in my team + TT (too cheap to ignore)

12 seems like a lot, but 6 of them are rookie priced - so all good, the more MPM the merrier :D
It would make choices a bit easier if a few of them arent named round 1 or dont look like best 22 over the PS. Things will change when we know which rookies are looking likely aswell

It would make choices a bit easier if a few of them arent named round 1 or dont look like best 22 over the PS. Things will change when we know which rookies are looking likely aswell
There's not much of a pre-season to judge this year.
Only 1 official game per club :mad:

Upside is coaches should pick their best teams in those games. Any rookie that plays is likely to play round 1.
LOL - I was going to add that to my post - but, it would have diluted my anger at the AFL with their pre-season scheduling :p

This from a North fan on another forum I'm on:

NORTH MELBOURNE MATCH SIMULATION
Tarryn Thomas ($295,700) FWD/MID - Was used across half back for the match
Ben Cunnington ($419,00) FWD/MID - Was used mostly forward with stints in the midfield
Will Phillips ($158,300) MID - Was used full time through the midfield
Josh Goater ($192,700) DEF - Played across half back and found plenty of the ball
Notes: Aaron Hall and Jack Ziebell both played in the backline.
Logue and Corr was missing from the backline and set to return in the coming weeks

This from a North fan on another forum I'm on:

NORTH MELBOURNE MATCH SIMULATION
Tarryn Thomas ($295,700) FWD/MID - Was used across half back for the match
Ben Cunnington ($419,00) FWD/MID - Was used mostly forward with stints in the midfield
Will Phillips ($158,300) MID - Was used full time through the midfield
Josh Goater ($192,700) DEF - Played across half back and found plenty of the ball
Notes: Aaron Hall and Jack Ziebell both played in the backline.
Logue and Corr was missing from the backline and set to return in the coming weeks
There was a bit of experimenting going on. Zurhaar and Paul Curtis were playing mid roles for some of it.
I’ll be gobsmacked if Cunnington isn’t in the first two rotations of our round one mids.

florent 372k
Not sure I get this one. I like his new role but will it translate to points?

He beasted the Qualifying Final against the Dees and couldn't quite manage a ton (98).

At best, he gets more of Blakey's chips and makes both of them (as well as Lloyd) irrelevant IMO.

Finally! I think that all clubs that haven't yet resumed training do so today. It will be interesting to see which players are still on restricted duties and also the second time trial results for the wannabes.

My current MP locks are Hopper, Allen and McLean of course. Pinning my hopes on "Messrs Reliable" Yeo and Fyfe plus Cunnington meeting fitness criteria by season's start. Thomas may be a fallback but doesn't suit my structure at the moment and Coffield will be in contention, depending on the rookies available for round one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy 2023 Midpricers Madness

Remove this Banner Ad

Back