Review 2023 National Draft Review Thread II [McKercher, Z.Duursma, Goad, W.Dawson, Hardeman, Maley]

Remove this Banner Ad

NM have already offered more than that and if WC want to trade they will go earlier I reckon.
Myself, I hope they take Harley.
Your point is irrelevant. Or that's to say, you have completely missed the point. We are not horse trading here. I am simply suggesting that West Coast will not take Curtin or McKercher with pick 1. Do you follow so far? If they really want Curtin or McKercher, they will trade with North Melbourne for whatever North Melbourne is offering. The worst case scenario for them is to accept pick 2 and pick 15. That's the worst case. They could do better than that for sure, but that's the worst case for them. As I've said, even worse than that would be not to trade pick 1 but to take a player they could have got with pick 2. But once again, that's not happening.

It was the biggest joke from the AFL allowing us access, knowing full well he was never gong to make it to us. Only 3 years earlier the WBD gain the No1 pick. The rules always seem to go against us when they change them. Always!!
Coincidence that our mighty ex-coach was footy boss when the NGA rule change occurred?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My comment was why saints didn’t draft him at the time…..they thought he was really immature.

Correct. Saints had Petracca 1 and McCartin 2 like most other teams. Petracca then interviewed terribly - total lack of maturity - and McCartin was really impressive, especially in relation to the mature way that he was dealing with his diabetes.

Petracca is now what most thought he could be but his first 5 seasons weren't great, which was clearly maturity related. And the concussion issues killed what might have been a great career for McCartin.

Last edited:
I did the numbers on this

Xavier at draft 185cm 71kg

Xavier as per now 186cm 82kg

1cm growth and 11kg weight gain

Zane now 189cm 79kgs

Like for like future Zane 190cm 90kgs

Doubt he gets that big but even if it’s 85-87 I wouldn’t call him light at that weight.

Isaac Heeney 88kgs
Bailey fritsch 84kgs
Tarry Thomas 83kgs
Jack Gunston 86kgs
Robbie grey 87kgs
Zac Bailey 84kgs
Luke Breust 82kgs
Solid analysis there mate. Less of a concern then it seems!

Correct. Saints had Petracca 1 and McCartin 2 like most other teams. Petracca then interviewed terribly - total lack of maturity - and McCartin was really impressive, especially in relation to the mature way that he was dealing with his diabetes.

Petracca is now what most thought he could be but his first 5 seasons weren't great, which was clearly maturity related. And the concussion issues killed what might have been a great career for McCartin.
I know someone who went to school with him and they had some not nice things to say about how he acted. Some things that would definitely not fly in the current environment.

But, then again, Joel Selwood had some big issues in high school and he's seen as one of the great leaders.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review 2023 National Draft Review Thread II [McKercher, Z.Duursma, Goad, W.Dawson, Hardeman, Maley]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back