Review 2023 National Draft Review Thread II [McKercher, Z.Duursma, Goad, W.Dawson, Hardeman, Maley]

Remove this Banner Ad

Call me crazy, but an elite forward half player is a need for us. We do have a few forward flank types, but none have been consistent or good enough to justify passing on an elite prospect. Duursma is likely to be better then all of them (bar Sheez).

If Zurhaar cracks the sads, tough s***.

2023:
View attachment 1849701
View attachment 1849704

2022:
View attachment 1849705
View attachment 1849706

2021:
View attachment 1849709
View attachment 1849708
I've said the same thing.
It might just be the ball delivery from the middle but we're desperate for another 40+ goal kicker.

Hilarious WC poster on the MB thread suggesting it's "probably best for all if Curtin drifts to pick 10 and then Adelaide trades for WC assets" or something along those lines, as Curtin doesn't wanna leave WA.

WA media is just the mouthpiece for WC recruiting department. Completely reeks of a "We would've taken Curtin at 1, but we managed to get him at 6/10/11" or whatever type rubbish.

Just hold and call their bluff Brady......don't give up any more picks. I'd be changing our offer to 3 and 15 for 1 on draft night. Then they can get Curtin and Collard. Otherwise Colby and Dursma/Curtin for us.
What assets?

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

You throw in Phillips and Powell like they are certainties of playing in the middle when they have done nothing yet. For me, we take McKercher and Sanders. If Powell and Phillips are any good they will find for spots.

I didn't say that at all. They are not playing wing, so the positions are centre and the two follower roles, that is three players in the starting 18, are you going to play with two inside mids in your starting 18?

Forget about the short-term, young players play all sorts of roles, I mean, once the players are ready to go. What kind of structure are you looking to create?

Dylan Stephens was a pick 5 player, Swans didn't play him, gone at 22 for what, nothing really. Gone for more opportunity. If you pick someone high in the draft and they don't play, they are gone and the investment is more or less sunk.

It is different to having 2nd and 3rd round players who are just developing in the background. They are more content to play fringe roles in a side. I really like Sanders and I would love for him to be at the club, I am just not sure it would be the best use of our resources in terms of list management when we come off 13 changes, we have holes all over the park, we have already invested a lot into the kind of roles he plays. If he becomes a best 18 player it is going to torpedo a recent investment so we only gain the difference between him and the player he will dislodge. If you fill a hole in the side with a top end talent the gain is significantly larger.

If Clarkson thinks our recruiters ****ed up before he got here then that is a different story.

Last edited:
Hilarious WC poster on the MB thread suggesting it's "probably best for all if Curtin drifts to pick 10 and then Adelaide trades for WC assets" or something along those lines, as Curtin doesn't wanna leave WA.

WA media is just the mouthpiece for WC recruiting department. Completely reeks of a "We would've taken Curtin at 1, but we managed to get him at 6/10/11" or whatever type rubbish.

Just hold and call their bluff Brady......don't give up any more picks. I'd be changing our offer to 3 and 15 for 1 on draft night. Then they can get Curtin and Collard. Otherwise Colby and Dursma/Curtin for us.

I can vouch for a couple of things I've heard with the process and anybody from either side of the country wanting Reid or Curtin to be go home risks are going to be pretty disappointed. Obviously both would prefer to stay in their home states but both will leave and give 100% if that is what transpires.

I'd say the same for McKercher with the disclaimer the Tasmanian side isn't yet tangible.

You throw in Phillips and Powell like they are certainties of playing in the middle when they have done nothing yet. For me, we take McKercher and Sanders. If Powell and Phillips are any good they will find for spots.
Well McKercher and Sanders haven't set the world on fire yet at North either...oh shite, we haven't drafted them yet🤨

Do agree, the 2020 draft class needs to consolidate their spots in the starting 23 whether starting, bench or role players

I can vouch for a couple of things I've heard with the process and anybody from either side of the country wanting Reid or Curtin to be go home risks are going to be pretty disappointed. Obviously both would prefer to stay in their home states but both will leave and give 100% if that is what transpires.

I'd say the same for McKercher with the disclaimer the Tasmanian side isn't yet tangible.

JHF gave 100%, for 6 months. I think at the start he was keen to give it a go.

Anyway, if someone else gets Curtin and he wants to go home, he would most likely be picking Fremantle, not West Coast, assuming they have a need for him. I think the draft is the only route for Eagles.

Anyway, if someone else gets Curtin and he wants to go home, he would most likely be picking Fremantle, not West Coast, assuming they have a need for him. I think the draft is the only route for Eagles.
And yet they don't want to split pick 1 for multiple firsts

Call me crazy, but an elite forward half player is a need for us. We do have a few forward flank types, but none have been consistent or good enough to justify passing on an elite prospect. Duursma is likely to be better then all of them (bar Sheez).

If Zurhaar cracks the sads, tough s***.

2023:
View attachment 1849701
View attachment 1849704

2022:
View attachment 1849705
View attachment 1849706

2021:
View attachment 1849709
View attachment 1849708
Your point is reasonable but I'd add the caveats that Eddie only got picked half way through the year, and PC's fitness showed substantial improvement towards the end of the year and his consistency improved in step. Tarryn also played only half a season and possibly spent as much time midfield as forward. Cam missed the latter part of the season. And we also have Brayden who will hopefully be a strong contended for a spot some way through the season.

If Duursma is believed to be a generation, or near-generational talent, then we must select him. But if he is only an upgrade on who we already have, even if it's a substantial upgrade, I'd rather we draft the next best talent and hopefully one that fills one of the gaping holes on our list.

Your point is reasonable but I'd add the caveats that Eddie only got picked half way through the year, and PC's fitness showed substantial improvement towards the end of the year and his consistency improved in step. Tarryn also played only half a season and possibly spent as much time midfield as forward. Cam missed the latter part of the season. And we also have Brayden who will hopefully be a strong contended for a spot some way through the season.

If Duursma is believed to be a generation, or near-generational talent, then we must select him. But if he is only an upgrade on who we already have, even if it's a substantial upgrade, I'd rather we draft the next best talent and hopefully one that fills one of the gaping holes on our list.
Nothing concrete in those caveats IMO. I want more proof if I'm passing on a guy of the quality of Duursma.

Less hope, more substance.

The way I see it, a guy that can consistently kick bags of goals is a big gaping hole on our list.

I’m just glad Geelong never picked Selwood because they already had Ablett/Bartel/Ling/Kelly/Corey/Chapman that could’ve been a big mistake.

Selwood was taken in 2007. Ling, Chapman and Corey were taken in 1999 and Bartel, Kelly and Ablett in 2001. Getting an inside mid 6-8 years after your core group is fine, he was an investment in the future. We aren't comparing players that far apart and I think you are smart enough to figure that out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As of the start of this draft, all 1st round picks will be on 3 year contracts so players can't invoke the JHF rule at the end of their 1st year or pay overs at the end of the 2nd year looking for lucrative 3rd or 4th year extensions.
So unless a player is truely homesick in their 1st year, they'll go to their new club on the same standard 3yr contract as he left his previous club...be very interesting if a drafted player from now to whenever tests this new CBA agreement.

You won't need to worry about Curtin having go home factor, FYI. He's moved around a ton growing up and won't be a risk, IMO.

I know there's a number on here who are holding out hope for Curtin, but I really can't see that happening for a few reasons.

It'll be two of Mckercher, Duursma, Watson and Sanders, likelihood of them being selected in that order.

I'd suggest after that group, we'd have guys like Caddy and Leake next in line.

Nothing concrete in those caveats IMO. I want more proof if I'm passing on a guy of the quality of Duursma.

Less hope, more substance.

The way I see it, a guy that can consistently kick bags of goals is a big gaping hole on our list.
I can only go off the highlights, but I agree, Duursma looks the complete package to me.

If he fills out across what are already impressive shoulders, he's going to be an absolute unit, with good touch by foot, and impressive hands around the stoppage. I don't think we can go wrong with anyone in the top 4 or 5, but I'd be taking Duursma

Don't draft for need in the top 5. Draft the best player.

We don't know what the list will look like when these players are in their primes.

Imagine drafting the 5th best player with pick 2 because you temporarily had a list hole.

Imagine passing on Duursma because you have Zurhaar, Thomas and Ford. Two of which aren't signed on for 2025 and the third has had one okay season. All 4 players being very positionally versatile.

Needs and list holes change so quickly. This is a 15 year decision.

Selwood was taken in 2007. Ling, Chapman and Corey were taken in 1999 and Bartel, Kelly and Ablett in 2001. Getting an inside mid 6-8 years after your core group is fine, he was an investment in the future. We aren't comparing players that far apart and I think you are smart enough to figure that out.
well... Zurhaar was taken in 2016, and Stephenson in 2017, so comparable to the point you make about Geelong's 2001 intake. Stephenson's career seems to be treading water, and good player that Zurhaar is, you couldn't (yet, and maybe never) call him elite.

Ford has only just broken into the side, and Curtis remains a work in progress in terms of tank. So further to the point made by Psicosis, still room for Duursma to be better than what we have.

It’s weird.

I think Curtin is better for us.

I think there’s a 50/50 chance he ends up better than Dursma.

I think Dursma has higher bust/average potential.

I get more excited about drafting Dursma. Infact I think of Curtin (a 197cm 95 kg rebounding defender) as boring.

If we're going to use pick 3 on Curtin (as a defender), i'd rather trade it to Melbourne for picks 6 and 11 and get O'Sullivan with 6 plus a free throw at the stumps at 11.

TT, LDU we’re taken 6 years ago. At present they are the only two who’ve shown enough to say they’re going to make it, even then there’s question marks over if they can run out the season.
Powell/Phillips/Wardlaw are all really good prospects but I certainly would be banking the future on whether they are going to make it. All have got question marks and none of the above have shown enough to guarantee they’ll be 30+ possession getters, week in/out at at this stage.

We’re still at the stage of cycling through mids, until we can find guys who’ll be there last week in sept. That’s the engine room, thats where we can’t make any mistakes, that’s where you’ll win more games then you’ll lose.

And lastly we can’t make the same mistakes of the past and take a tall flanker, hoping he’ll turn into a A-grade midfielder. A Nat Fyfe diamond in the rough is rare as hell.

Last edited:
Don't draft for need in the top 5. Draft the best player.

We don't know what the list will look like when these players are in their primes.

Imagine drafting the 5th best player with pick 2 because you temporarily had a list hole.

Imagine passing on Duursma because you have Zurhaar, Thomas and Ford. Two of which aren't signed on for 2025 and the third has had one okay season. All 4 players being very positionally versatile.

Needs and list holes change so quickly. This is a 15 year decision.
Case in point:

Schwab only joined Fremantle in August that season and the trade period ended after two months at the club. He said the decision to trade for Croad and McPharlin, while also drafting Graham Polak, was partly due to feeling it was “unlikely” that Pavlich would remain beyond 2002.

I've said the same thing.
It might just be the ball delivery from the middle but we're desperate for another 40+ goal kicker.
I agree, Duursma and McKercher fill needs, and with Zurhaar and TT RFA and OOC, it is a bit of insurance.

Many of our mid forwards are postionally versatile, and I still remember the Geelong teams where from week to week, I could not tell if Chapman and Stevie J were extra mids, or deep forward scoring threats. One week they would get 27 touches, and the next multiple goals from limited touches.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review 2023 National Draft Review Thread II [McKercher, Z.Duursma, Goad, W.Dawson, Hardeman, Maley]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back