Review 2023 National Draft Review Thread II [McKercher, Z.Duursma, Goad, W.Dawson, Hardeman, Maley]

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi guys,

Sorry for the intrusion. We are currently running a mock draft on the Tigers board and I selected to draft for North Melbourne. With the first 5 picks taken, how would you guys rate my draft efforts? Would you be happy with these picks?

McKercher
Curtin
Tholstrup
Goad
Hardeman?

Obviously 3 WA prospects is a worry, but my thoughts are that they would have played a lot of rep football together so may mitigate the go-home factor a little bit.

Hi guys,

Sorry for the intrusion. We are currently running a mock draft on the Tigers board and I selected to draft for North Melbourne. With the first 5 picks taken, how would you guys rate my draft efforts? Would you be happy with these picks?

McKercher
Curtin
Tholstrup
Goad
Hardeman?

Obviously 3 WA prospects is a worry, but my thoughts are that they would have played a lot of rep football together so may mitigate the go-home factor a little bit.
What are we paying you for? Sheesh

Hi guys,

McKercher
Curtin
Tholstrup
Goad
Hardeman?

Given we have

Curtis
Ford
Thomas
Zuhaar
George

And likely Dursma, I think tholstrup is extremely unlikely. Numerous club interview or media pieces have indicated it’s best available 2 and 3 and needs based 15,17,18.

We need to address our dearth on KPP which your drafting doesn’t do.

Hi guys,

McKercher
Curtin
Tholstrup
Goad
Hardeman?

Not bad, B- maybe. Mckercher yes, most would suggest no to curtin at 3 although some would like him there. Consensus is best available at 2 and 3 and address needs with other picks. Goad a possibility, but so too could Edwards or Green developing ruck appears a need. The other 2 ......nah reckon other players will be there that better address needs.

But could you see it happening? For the best mid and and best defender in the draft, I can see why they’re throwing that out there.
Bloody hope not, it will be another pick 1 or 2 and I'd rather us pick best mid next year and use other picks on defenders and forwards.

Not bad, B- maybe. Mckercher yes, most would suggest no to curtin at 3 although some would like him there. Consensus is best available at 2 and 3 and address needs with other picks. Goad a possibility, but so too could Edwards or Green developing ruck appears a need. The other 2 ......nah reckon other players will be there that better address needs.

Thanks. My thought process with Curtin over Duursma was McKay leaving, Bonar being delisted, Comben doing a knee. I felt a young key defender was a need and O'Sullivan was not gonna be there with the late 1sts (Walter at 2), so opt3d for Curtin.

Tholstrup probably not the most needed player but I do think he was the best available at the pick, nd with Turner being delisted felt he would be a great partner with Zurhaar up forward.

Goad was the developing ruck option obvious with Goldy going. Probably the rawest talent of the ruckman but to me his athleticism and mobility are major strengths with how the game is going and his follow up work is great. I think his speed and mobility, qnd rhe fact he only started taking football seriously last year means he ahs more upside than someone like Green or Reid.

Hardeman I felf with Hall and Ziebell gone would likely push into contention for a round 1 berth. With him and Sheezel, I think it sets you up nicely.

Just wanted to provide some contexr to why I chose who I did. Thanks for the feedback.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks. My thought process with Curtin over Duursma was McKay leaving, Bonar being delisted, Comben doing a knee. I felt a young key defender was a need and O'Sullivan was not gonna be there with the late 1sts (Walter at 2), so opt3d for Curtin.

Tholstrup probably not the most needed player but I do think he was the best available at the pick, nd with Turner being delisted felt he would be a great partner with Zurhaar up forward.

Goad was the developing ruck option obvious with Goldy going. Probably the rawest talent of the ruckman but to me his athleticism and mobility are major strengths with how the game is going and his follow up work is great. I think his speed and mobility, qnd rhe fact he only started taking football seriously last year means he ahs more upside than someone like Green or Reid.

Hardeman I felf with Hall and Ziebell gone would likely push into contention for a round 1 berth. With him and Sheezel, I think it sets you up nicely.

Just wanted to provide some contexr to why I chose who I did. Thanks for the feedback.
We won't be challenging next year, Logue will be back sometime during the year, we have Corr. Club has brought in Pink and Biggie, and Dawson performed well in the VFL and backed it up with a good showing in the final round of the year. Also talk of fit Comben moving back. So yes while key defender is a need, Comben could well be the man to replace McKay and be better than him. We have a lot of mid sized forwards showing promise, and Duursma does look to play taller than his size and could still grow some more. So I don't think Curtin is as pressing a need as it may seem just because McKay left. I think there'll be guys available in the teens that the club will look at to build our KPP stocks.

Goad makes sense, but so too does Edwards and or Green,,,,,I think one of them is highly probable for us.

Hall and Ziebell gone, again I think we're better with them not there....disposal of guys like Bergman and Sheezel given more responsibility coming out of defence late in the season (Suns game) was a massive upgrade on those two, and the club has brought in Fischer too for more run out of the backline, plus Dylan Stephens, then there's Goater who admittedly needs to work on his tank but has shown a bit in his first couple of seasons.

Oh and it was Logue who did his knee....Comben was a foot/ankle early in 2023 and should be back touch wood the young fella hasn't had much luck.

I like Goad because he’s a freak athlete, but all have things to like about them.

Personally I’d prefer we go KPD/KPF/Small Forward/Rebounding Defender over Ruck as well with those three picks.

I think having Goldy for 15 years has clouded some people’s judgement regarding the ruck position. Watching a classy ruckman ply his trade week in week out may have been taken for granted by some but we are about to watch a very different “show” next season and I’d certainly like to see someone like Goad developing to have something to look forward to

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think you’d get 15 and 18 at an absolute max for 11 and 35. It’s quite unlikely though as the guy that is your list boss is notoriously difficult to deal with and no one really wants to deal with him.

True, however we did a pick swap with them not too long ago with the Harrison Jones vs Comben scenario which if I’m not wrong netted us a future second rounder

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Oh ok, I thought you had two picks in 2024 granted by the afl and one of them was traded to Gold Coast I think? I’d be happy with 15, 18 and a future second rounder from north for 11 and 35. I think maybe north pay a bit more than they would like but I think both teams would be better off with this trade in the long term.
Id be a bit concerned about losing the F2 here but given next year is mid heavy, something like this might be fine

Apparently these 3 (or 2 of) ruckman rate very highly compared to top rated ruckman in other years (according to Souup if I remember correctly).

This year, with 3 picks in that region, is a good year to bank a quality ruckman with a reasonable pick.

Most year, you’d only get one 200+ ruck with such quality athletic profiles and attributes.

Not just about needs, but the profile of the draft and likely available.
Yep I'm aware of Edwards/Goad/Green and their talents and I'm not against taking one of them if they are that talented as let's be honest our ruck division is not looking too convincing. If we do take one, it just potentially moves one of those other needs into next year's draft. They might pass on a small forward for all we know if they want to give Paul Curtis/RHJ/Brayden George/Cooper Harvey more time to develop and go tall at the late 1sts with a key forward, key back and ruck. It's going to be interesting for sure.

Last edited:
We won't be challenging next year, Logue will be back sometime during the year, we have Corr. Club has brought in Pink and Biggie, and Dawson performed well in the VFL and backed it up with a good showing in the final round of the year. Also talk of fit Comben moving back. So yes while key defender is a need, Comben could well be the man to replace McKay and be better than him. We have a lot of mid sized forwards showing promise, and Duursma does look to play taller than his size and could still grow some more. So I don't think Curtin is as pressing a need as it may seem just because McKay left. I think there'll be guys available in the teens that the club will look at to build our KPP stocks.

Goad makes sense, but so too does Edwards and or Green,,,,,I think one of them is highly probable for us.

Hall and Ziebell gone, again I think we're better with them not there....disposal of guys like Bergman and Sheezel given more responsibility coming out of defence late in the season (Suns game) was a massive upgrade on those two, and the club has brought in Fischer too for more run out of the backline, plus Dylan Stephens, then there's Goater who admittedly needs to work on his tank but has shown a bit in his first couple of seasons.

Oh and it was Logue who did his knee....Comben was a foot/ankle early in 2023 and should be back touch wood the young fella hasn't had much luck.into
Our KPD stock - Logue aside - is a ragtag bunch and that's being kind. There's no projected top 8 - let alone top 4 - feel about them

We should be aiming for elite talent on each line.

For that reason, I can see the Club putting a lot of thought into Curtin at 2 or 3.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Review 2023 National Draft Review Thread II [McKercher, Z.Duursma, Goad, W.Dawson, Hardeman, Maley]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back