Preview 2023 Pre-Season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel like Esava is gone next trade period, Ceglar retires if he barely plays, Hawkins likely retires if we win the flag, Menegola retires if he doesn't get many games especially considering our midfield depth, Rohan and Tuohy retire if we win a flag.
Sav is interesting really now IMO.

To keep Blitz in his current role and thus Stanley the most effective he's been and keep Blitz out of defense, we need a plan.

This is all Hypothetical Xmas rubbish - but... say Tomma is out for 1/2 the season as mooted a little recently.
WE need variety and coverage up forward. WE need Neale to step up clearly but other than Ollie Henry, there is not a lot after him.
Jack Henry has done ok up forward but taking from down back leaves us SDK and not much else tall.
Sav going back there makes more and more sense in 2023.

I could see Sav wanting game time and I reckon he might get it as a KPD 2 or 3 for several games - provided his preseason is good. He's got the tools, size and athleticism to do it. Footy brain lacks a bit but that will also be less required being led to the ball.

There is a way to work him into it,,, just needs to be enough to keep him at the club.

GO Catters

To keep Blitz in his current role and thus Stanley the most effective he's been and keep Blitz out of defense, we need a plan.

This is all Hypothetical Xmas rubbish - but... say Tomma is out for 1/2 the season as mooted a little recently.
WE need variety and coverage up forward. WE need Neale to step up clearly but other than Ollie Henry, there is not a lot after him.
Jack Henry has done ok up forward but taking from down back leaves us SDK and not much else tall.

I could see Sav wanting game time and I reckon he might get it as a KPD 2 or 3 for several games - provided his preseason is good. He's got the tools, size and athleticism to do it. Footy brain lacks a bit but that will also be less required being led to the ball.

There is a way to work him into it,,, just needs to be enough to keep him at the club.

GO Catters
I think we will see Esava get games, and the "where" is going to be really interesting. I would hope Neale is ahead of him to take Hawkins spot, but I wouldn't be against Esava playing FB or CHB for every preseason game to see where he is at. Sadly for him though, he only gets into the team if SDK gets injured.

I think we will see Esava get games, and the "where" is going to be really interesting. I would hope Neale is ahead of him to take Hawkins spot, but I wouldn't be against Esava playing FB or CHB for every preseason game to see where he is at. Sadly for him though, he only gets into the team if SDK gets injured.
I think he would be more of a replacement for Kolo than SDK personally if injuired and development permitted that he can. Actually play in the backline ect

GO Catters

What did Gomer Pyle use to say ?

Surprise - Surprise - Surprise - thats what we need from Sav in season 2023 - otherwise he is gonzo

Ok

so not younger. But better memory than me or lover of 1970s TV shows!

All in all it is good advise (the be patient thing) and I will heed it!
Actually my uncle used to say it to me when I was younger. I have no idea of the origin. 🤷

Crows fans like all of us, opinions of there best structure. I think Sloane is fkd, coming bk from a reco plus his form was on the slide despite Darren Burgess getting him fit

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221229_193953_Twitter.jpg
    Screenshot_20221229_193953_Twitter.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 107
Agree. We had only two drop off in 2022 when most predicted a few more.

And Higgins and Dal dropped off pretty quickly. Seemed obvious from early in the season.

Too hard to predict whether it will happen and who
You said we will have 6 or 7 change over in players, Look at your list and try and find 6 or 7 to go, lol

You said we will have 6 or 7 change over in players, Look at your list and try and find 6 or 7 to go, lol
I know. Unfair probably on the new draftees since 2021 and realistically 3 from the older crew maybe 4. I think the other two spots could be trades for low picks?

But what it does say that with no spare spots the club has the luxury of being ruthless - so whoever they keep probably has potential.

This is a great position for the club to be in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he would be more of a replacement for Kolo than SDK personally if injuired and development permitted that he can. Actually play in the backline ect
I did consider that, but then I worry that having Esava and SDK is way too tall and inexperienced in the backline.

Crows fans like all of us, opinions of there best structure. I think Sloane is fkd, coming bk from a reco plus his form was on the slide despite Darren Burgess getting him fit
If that was how they lined up against us, we would be laughing. Tag the shit out of Rankin and Stewart/Zuthrie will float off and intercept everything going to tex, because EVERYTHING will go via Walker Texas Racist.

He no see Kung Fu
or maybe his uncle is.....
s-l500.jpg
:grinv1:

back on topic, I hope guys like Smith, Hawkins, and Duncan are pushing the other medal holders hard not to be complacent. They've been there before and understand how hard it is to present again. The young guys will be hungry, but the vets who have finally won it all will need that extra bit of leadership from the those who have tried to defend the title before.

Felt Sav was really good down back vs WCE late in the year. Though, the ball wasn’t down there much.

Hard to judge because we dominated that game. Need to see how he goes in a game where the defence is under more pressure-look forward to seeing how he goes in the early season games.

Hard to judge because we dominated that game. Need to see how he goes in a game where the defence is under more pressure-look forward to seeing how he goes in the early season games.
Actually that might suit him a bit, wouldn't have to think too much just react as an athlete. What was his sport growing up?
I thought Blicavs and Kolo started out that way as well. Don't give them time to think, just go after the ball.

Actually that might suit him a bit, wouldn't have to think too much just react as an athlete. What was his sport growing up?
I thought Blicavs and Kolo started out that way as well. Don't give them time to think, just go after the ball.

He played mostly rugby (and soccer i think) as a kid.
Im bit convinced he will make it but i do agree IF he is to make it it will be as a defender not a kpf. It gets rid of the goalkicking issue thats his achilles heel as a kpf as is his lack of footy iq. As a defender he can be led to the ball and use his athletic ability to closing speed spoil/mark rather than forward where you need to read the play unfolding upfield (which he lacks).

He played mostly rugby (and soccer i think) as a kid.
Im bit convinced he will make it but i do agree IF he is to make it it will be as a defender not a kpf. It gets rid of the goalkicking issue thats his achilles heel as a kpf as is his lack of footy iq. As a defender he can be led to the ball and use his athletic ability to closing speed spoil/mark rather than forward where you need to read the play unfolding upfield (which he lacks).
Maybe he makes it as a defender but if the knocks are on his footy smarts and kicking precision then his bad positioning and missed shots on goal become poorly advised and executed kicks out the backline. Worth a shot but expectations need to be suppressed

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2023 Pre-Season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back