Training 2023 Pre Season

Remove this Banner Ad

That's how he was mostly played at Essendon I think.

Perhaps we see him as a better long term option than Adams.

Are Essendon really so flush with talls or is he simply not up to it. I guess the club will find out by having a good look at him.
Nah, Eyre only started playing back in the 2nd half of last year, as he'd been given plenty of chances as a forward (I can't remember a single good game) and Baldwin and Voss had already sped past him in 3-4 months.
He looked better playing back and finally impacted a couple of games, but nobody was surprised he was cut, rather I think more were surprised Dodoro saw more in him than Cody Brand, another Academy player, who had outperformed Eyre by some margin at VFL level in the role.
Brand possibly didn't have the athletic profile (speed, agility) to make it at the next level though, whilst Eyre has the athletic profile, but seriously needed to improve most other aspects of his game.
One of Dodoro's biggest talent assessment pitfalls is his blindspot for upside players vs. their actual output and rate of improvement, so I'm not surprised he was still willing to invest in Eyre.

Will be interested in whether he can improve at the Saints.

Thats all well and good but what does david king think?

Something, something, Carlisle.

Something, something, Parish.

NPe1Vhf.gif

Nah, Eyre only started playing back in the 2nd half of last year, as he'd been given plenty of chances as a forward (I can't remember a single good game) and Baldwin and Voss had already sped past him in 3-4 months.
He looked better playing back and finally impacted a couple of games, but nobody was surprised he was cut, rather I think more were surprised Dodoro saw more in him than Cody Brand, another Academy player, who had outperformed Eyre by some margin at VFL level in the role.
Brand possibly didn't have the athletic profile (speed, agility) to make it at the next level though, whilst Eyre has the athletic profile, but seriously needed to improve most other aspects of his game.
One of Dodoro's biggest talent assessment pitfalls is his blindspot for upside players vs. their actual output and rate of improvement, so I'm not surprised he was still willing to invest in Eyre.

Will be interested in whether he can improve at the SaSaints.
I totally agree with your assessment of Eyre & Brand.

I went back today and watched a couple of Essendon VFL games and thought Brand played well and had a future. I was surprised to read your post that he had been delisted WTF are recruiters and list managers seeing.

Will be interested in whether he can improve at the Saints.

We'll see if he gets the gig.
Personally it seems like i'd rather leave a spot for the mid-year draft.
Eyre seems unlikely to be able to contribute much at AFL level this year and we already have around 4 developing talls who are probably too green for AFL ( or may never get there ).

We'll see if he gets the gig.
Personally it seems like i'd rather leave a spot for the mid-year draft.
Eyre seems unlikely to be able to contribute much at AFL level this year and we already have around 4 developing talls who are probably too green for AFL ( or may never get there ).
Ollie hotton will go on the long term injury list. We will have a spot open for the mid season draft

I totally agree with your assessment of Eyre & Brand.

I went back today and watched a couple of Essendon VFL games and thought Brand played well and had a future. I was surprised to read your post that he had been delisted WTF are recruiters and list managers seeing.

Usually they’re seeing what the guy is like behind closed doors. Many players don’t have the mentality to make it at the top level.

Ollie hotton will go on the long term injury list. We will have a spot open for the mid season draft
"The recovery for this type of injury requires a period of rest before incremental load increases, which while frustrating, should mean that this issue does not reoccur.

"In the meantime, unfortunately it is likely that Olli will miss the majority of the first half of the season while he recovers."

-----------------------------
Bit rough to have him unavailable during the time he'd like to be playing VFL.

At least it's a stress fracture and not a disc issue.

Intervertebral disc issues like a herniation or bulge that impinges the nerve can be hit and miss if you can recover properly. Both Windy and Bytel had disc issues and made full recoveries though. Billings is currently in recovery and looking good.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"The recovery for this type of injury requires a period of rest before incremental load increases, which while frustrating, should mean that this issue does not reoccur.

"In the meantime, unfortunately it is likely that Olli will miss the majority of the first half of the season while he recovers."

-----------------------------
Bit rough to have him unavailable during the time he'd like to be playing VFL.
The club won’t risk a first year player with this type of injury.

If we get close to the draft and he isn’t already back in full training. They’ll pull the pin on his year.

Admittedly I know nothing. But this injury may explain why he slide to our pick?
No I don’t think so.

But he admittedly did do a lot of gym work and training leading up to getting drafted and I wonder if the cause was from that and it escalated when the work load increased at the club.

The club won’t risk a first year player with this type of injury.

If we get close to the draft and he isn’t already back in full training. They’ll pull the pin on his year.

I was quoting Dave Misson, i suspect his opinion is pretty right.
He said he'll miss most of the "first half of the season".

I'd guess that If Dave is overly optimistic, he might miss "some" of the second half of the season.

What is your opinion based on?

I was quoting Dave Misson, i suspect his opinion is pretty right.
He said he'll miss most of the "first half of the season".

I'd guess that If Dave is overly optimistic, he might miss "some" of the second half of the season.

What is your opinion based on?
My opinion is that stress injuries are very hard to predict.

They need rest.

If by round 11 he is touch and go, what do you think they will do - especially if they have a kid they like in the MSD?

Hard to predict stress fractures. Too much too soon most likely. Too much too soon of the wrong thing also.
Its a shame, but he'll be right.

If Phillipou gets stress fractures I'll be screaming mismanagement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2023 Pre Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back