Preview 2023 Rd 11 Carlton vs Sydney Friday May 26 7:50PM @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in:-

IN:
Tom De Koning, Brodie Kemp
OUT: Ed Curnow, Jack Silvagni, Lewis Young

After starting last weekend as sub, George Hewett has been elevated to the starting 22.

Backs:Sam DochertyJacob WeiteringNic Newman
Half-backs:Brodie KempMitch McGovernAdam Saad
Centreline:Blake AcresPatrick CrippsOliver Hollands
Half-forwards:Matthew KennedyHarry McKayTom De Koning
Forwards:Corey DurdinCharlie CurnowJesse Motlop
Followers:Marc PittonetGeorge HewettSam Walsh
Interchange:Jordan BoydAdam CerraMatthew Cottrell
Matthew Owies
Emergencies:Ed CurnowLachie FogartyJack Silvagni
Lewis Young

Last edited:
Hearing Fisher In. JSOS out this week

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk

We rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic are we?

The Paddy Dow fan cult is really starting to annoy me.

He has shown next to nothing in relative terms of where he was taken in the draft, and yet, has become a beacon of hope for those posters with an blatant and undisguised anti Voss Agenda.

I know which horse I would back to still be @ Carlton next year that's for sure ..

No player is bigger than the club (or coach fot that matter)

Form has to be rewarded in the twos though…breeds good competition and improves development. Don’t reward it and there’s a chance of contempt and division.

Dow would be leading the twos best and fairest by a mile and the ones are bordering on embarrassing themselves…He has to get a go.

The Paddy Dow fan cult is really starting to annoy me.

He has shown next to nothing in relative terms of where he was taken in the draft, and yet, has become a beacon of hope for those posters with an blatant and undisguised anti Voss Agenda.

I know which horse I would back to still be @ Carlton next year that's for sure ..

No player is bigger than the club (or coach fot that matter)
Look, i agree on the fact that i dont think dow will make it, wasted pick, should of been delisted a few years ago.

But...

The guy has been busting a nut, getting 40+ disposals a game in the vfl, while our leaders such as cripps, are well well down on their best.

Reward form, send a message, drop cripps and bring in dow. Sure i think he will probably spud it up when he comes in, but you never know unless you try, its possible hes turned it around.

More then happy to give him one final shot at it, give him a few games to prove himself. If its same old, then we know for sure, and he gets delisted at the end of the season, but imagine he has turned it around and were able to make a solid foot soldier out of him...

Honestly, the MC have shit the bed all year. The bottom line is you reward those doing well in the VFL and **** off those doing badly in the AFL. Otherwise it ****s up the whole dynamics of the place. CASE IN POINT CARLTON!

If the team is rocking it’s a different story, but we are sinking not rocking!

For **** sake it’s a stupid debate on Dow, kid should be selected on output this year as we are in serious trouble in the midfield and are just too ****ing slow. Not selecting him and not dropping an under performer destroys endeavour and culture.

Why the **** bother when Vossie has his favs. Stupid approach and the proof is in the pudding!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No way, Fisher was rubbish in the 2's.
Fish gets named it Pitch Fork & Torches time!
He was deplorable in the VFL all of us watching it were actually quite stunned at the sheer lack of effort & will. 100% looked like he gave no ****s, it was probably the worst game I’ve ever seen him play.

I look forward to watching Fisher hit the ruck for centre bounces.

Cheers for the info, you nailed the Pittonet contract. I think Jack plays a really important role for us that the coach only seems to remember when he’s out of the team so I don’t agree with his omission if it happens.

I was thinking the same thing today .. if Dow came from a suburban team and played for Carlton reserves and no one knew who he was .. he would get snapped up mid season draft 100% and play AFL

I have a contact involved in another club (Hawks) who believes very strongly that on top of the midseason draft we really do need to have a midseason trading period.

He actually used Dow as his example. Consistently among the bests at the VFL level yet never gets an opportunity at Carlton. There are teams out there towards the bottom of the ladder - West Coaat, Hawthorn, North, etc. - many of whom have injury lists a mile long. Dow would be a warm, healthy, veteran body who would save that club from sending a kid into the seniors well before they're ready (quite detrimental to development). The club would get a look to see how the player fit into their club culture and to see if they fit without the long term investment.

Carlton couldn't ask for much but would essentially trade out a player they have no plans for but also trade in a player from Hawthorn or a third team who fits our needs better. If not, you add some cheap future draft capital and a pick at the midseason draft that is held at the conclusion of the trade period. The acquiring team simply forfeits their open list spot by acquiring the player

The player receives an AFL lifeline. You get to a team who values you enough to trade you in and who will be prepared to play you. If you demonstrate yourself to be of the grade then you have a much higher likelihood of a new contract than simply becoming a delisted free agent.

Of course there's other uses for a midseason trade period as well. However, for those players lost on AFL lists with no real prospect at their current club it'd save some careers. If not at least the player would know they'd been afforded an opportunity.

Last edited:
I have a contact involved in another club (Hawks) who believes very strongly that on top of the midseason draft we really do need to have a midseason trading period.

He actually used Dow as his example. Consistently among the bests at the VFL level yet never gets an opportunity at Carlton. There are teams out there towards the bottom of the ladder - West Coaat, Hawthorn, North, etc. - many of whom have injury lists a mile long. Dow would be a warm, healthy, veteran body who would save that club from sending a kid into the seniors well before they're ready (quite detrimental to development). The club would get a look to see how the player fit into their club culture and to see if they fit without the long term investment.

Carlton couldn't ask for much but would essentially trade out a player they have no plans for but also trade in a player from Hawthorn or a third team who fits our needs better. If not, you add some cheap future draft capital and a pick at the midseason draft that is held at the conclusion of the trade period. The acquiring team simply forfeits their open list spot by acquiring the player

The player receives an AFL lifeline. You get to a team who values you enough to trade you in and who will be prepared to play you. If you demonstrate yourself to be of the grade then you have a much higher likelihood of a new contract than simply becoming a delisted free agent.

Of course there's other uses for a midseason draft as well. However, for those players lost on AFL lists with no real prospect at their current club it'd save some careers. If not at least the player would know they'd been afforded an opportunity.
I think the other important factor it would bring in is protection for the players.
Dow is busting a gut, no doubt he would get picked up mid season (18 month contract), as it stands he keeps playing 2s then gets a significant injury- career could be done.
We aren’t keeping him fit, let alone injured.
If he’s on a list he has a level of protection & cover.
We gloss over the risk players put themselves in when they front up each week (& yes I understand it’s part of the job). AFLPA should be doing more to cover the players, not just demanding more money at every opportunity.

Fish was with Charlie in the virgin australia lounge last night flying out to Sydney based on Charlie’s Instagram. That might add merit to the rumour that he’s in or at least going over as a sub/emergency

I think the other important factor it would bring in is protection for the players.
Dow is busting a gut, no doubt he would get picked up mid season (18 month contract), as it stands he keeps playing 2s then gets a significant injury- career could be done.
We gloss over the risk players put themselves in when they front up each week (& yes I understand it’s part of the job). AFLPA should be doing more to cover the players, not just demanding more money at every opportunity.

Even if clubs kept that player under the same contract they'd stand a much more likely chance of staying in the system simply for being given an opportunity not currently afforded them at their current club.

If the player goes on to have a productive 6 to 10 weeks at the top grade it may also open the eyes of other clubs who weren't sold at his present club and obviously the team who got him may be quick to extend and reward that effort.

I don't necessarily think a player would be guaranteed an additional year as you're raising the opportunity cost involved in doing so. Clubs would baulk. Player already has agency to decline the trade.

Not sure the MC would be too concerned if Dow was to get injured. Would save the embarrassment of having to answer questions about him in pressers;)

Luke Parker forgot to mention how threatening we are on GuesSEN.

Oh come on Browny, yes it has been a season, so far of disappointment largely. But, it's not the end of the world. Maybe I have been around the block a few more times than you, just need to be invested in a few other things, other than just following the Blues.
Personally, I find family very important. Always something to deal with or sort out, with two young men still with us at home.
Having elderly parents still here, trying to spend quality time with them when I can, will not have them forever.
That's just me, the woes of our team will not get me down, it is only a game in many way's.
Things are never as bad as they seem, we will bounce back.
Well said.
Supporting a sporting team is the apex of madness. You place huge amounts of emotional energy, time and money into an organisation that has no connection to you bar your parents / family / friends introducing you to when too young to know better. You then proceed to have blind faith chasing outcomes you have zero control over year after year after year.

In any other walk of life you would be talked down off the ledge bar organised religion, which seems to comes from the same playbook.
Shows you the intoxicating power of hope!

What's another 20 years between like minded friends. Turn off bigfooty and come back next season. I promise everyone next year is the year!🤪

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back