Preview 2023 Rd 22 Carlton vs Melbourne Saturday August 12 7:30M @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

NO. CHANGES.

Sam Docherty will play his 150th game in the Navy Blue guernsey - the jumper he grew up wearing as a supporter - as Carlton looks to continue its strong run of form from recent months.

Last weekend’s sub, Ed Curnow is the sole omission from the Round 22 team: he has been named as one of four emergencies alongside Jordan Boyd (now available after suspension), Sam Durdin and Josh Honey. One of those four will be named as sub an hour before the bounce.

Backs:Alex CincottaJacob WeiteringAdam Saad
Half-backs:Nic NewmanCaleb MarchbankBrodie Kemp
Centreline:Blake AcresPatrick CrippsOliver Hollands
Half-forwards:Jack MartinTom De KoningDavid Cuningham
Forwards:Lachie FogartyCharlie CurnowMatthew Owies
Followers:Marc PittonetSam DochertyGeorge Hewett
Interchange:Matthew CottrellPaddy DowZac Fisher
Jesse Motlop
Emergencies:Jordan BoydEd CurnowSam Durdin
Josh Honey

It is a good point.

Does that mean JSoS can't get back in? It's typically a choice of 2 of those 3.
Good question. You might be able to play Jack whilst Harry is out but couldnt see all 4 playing together.

Mathematically it's probably unlikely that all 4 are available for selection on the same day. That's a different discussion though.

Wouldn't surprise Saad go Pickett - one of the best lock down we have that is blessed with speed -- esp if wish to run with fish again .. Boyd will probably sit this out play VFL .. in my opinion fish is a player that only stays up and about when he is getting ball why he can drop his lip a little at half fwd .. could have a run to finals like johanneson until they decided to tag him after he won a norm Smith ..

I’m not sure if this has been said or not, but the way in which Voss talks about Pitto and the role he plays, he sees him as definitely best 22.
I think Voss believes TDK and Pitto can be the right combination, I am yet to be convinced.
If those 2 play I think SOS misses out and I don’t like that outcome.
It relegates SOS to depth player coming in to the side for injury or form.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Marc Murphy on ABC radio pre game said he knows catagorically that there is not a contract on the table for SOS. One of the others questioned how that sounded surprising which Murph agreed with him but stated it again that there is nothing on the table so doesn't sound like SOS is in plans going forward and it is the TDK Pitto show which the jury is still out on for me.

Marc Murphy on ABC radio pre game said he knows catagorically that there is not a contract on the table for SOS. One of the others questioned how that sounded surprising which Murph agreed with him but stated it again that there is nothing on the table so doesn't sound like SOS is in plans going forward and it is the TDK Pitto show which the jury is still out on for me.
Jack is Carlton through and through and will sign on for less. The last contact the club will do

His loyalty to his father surpasses his loyalty to the club.

I think he's gone.
I reckon going to the same club his father works for would be the last thing Jack would want to do.

If you believe the Hawks BF “hypothetical trade and draft” thread then the Hawks are into him.

I’m not sure if this has been said or not, but the way in which Voss talks about Pitto and the role he plays, he sees him as definitely best 22.
I think Voss believes TDK and Pitto can be the right combination, I am yet to be convinced.
If those 2 play I think SOS misses out and I don’t like that outcome.
It relegates SOS to depth player coming in to the side for injury or form.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

There’s nothing wrong with that, JSOS is fringe 22 whether you like it or not

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon going to the same club his father works for would be the last thing Jack would want to do.

If you believe the Hawks BF “hypothetical trade and draft” thread then the Hawks are into him.

I don't personally have him in our best 22 but he's incredible for the depth chart with his versatility. Genuinely hope he stays.

Expect many other clubs would be interested in him. Would likely kick more goals in forward lines that don't have two dominant targets.

Actually believe we are a massive chance this week, in fact i think we will knock them over, provided we have no fresh injuries from the weekend or during the week…

Let the good times role…
Playing like we have last two months, we are a chance against anyone.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Would you rather Boyd or Fisher on Pickett?
It’s true Fisher would provide greater offence … defensively Boyd is much better.
Newman gets Melksham and Saad takes Neal-Bullen/Chandler?
Will be interesting to see selection if Kemp gets up.
K.Pickett = well matched by Cincotta last time around IIRC, see no need to alter that matchup again.

Was written that JSOS also wanted to assess how his key forward role played out around TDK’s future plans hence postponing talks/contract, which both parties are happy with.
c/- HS

Also Brad Lloyd also confirmed on Sunday that JSOS had not been offered a new deal yet.

Playing like we have heast two months, we are a chance against anyone.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app
It’s a great feeling now heading into games being far more confident in knowing exactly what we are going to get, effort/pressure along with a well balanced game style, the whole package is friggin brilliant to watch…

Anyone who has listened to Michael Voss recently will understand that marc Pittonet will be playing if fit. No ifs or buts about it.

Up againt man mountain Gawn, some people want to drop Pitto for JSOS? No chance.

Melbourne might even play Grundy too with Petty out.

Funny how there's so much talk about Pitto getting dropped, when Voss clearly rates him as our no.1 ruck. Ever since he joined the club and TDK broke into the senior team, Pitto has been no.1.

OUT: Pittonet, Docherty (rest), Owies (rest), Fogarty (rest)
IN: McKay, Walsh, Cerra, C.Durdin

If McKay and Cerra aren't right to go, maintain the outs and bring in Binns and Boyd.

If Kemp is out, keep Docherty in and drop him behind the ball.

I don't expect to win this, but either way it's a short week and we've got some dog-tired players.
C Durdin?

Last edited:
I don't personally have him in our best 22 but he's incredible for the depth chart with his versatility. Genuinely hope he stays.

Expect many other clubs would be interested in him. Would likely kick more goals in forward lines that don't have two dominant targets.

Same but with at least one of our rucks or key forwards almost always injured, we need him for depth.

We literally don't have anyone else who can play the forward/ruck role except TDK and JSOS. Unless Young can learn to play forward...other thing with Young is he's not a fluent kick so he doesn't keep the flow of our attack moving. We'd have been screwed in some games this year if JSOS wasn't on the list and we needed backups like him and Young to ruck.

We are in 'win a premiership now' mode...feel it's really important we hold onto him and not have to turn to an unproven kid or bringing in some other mature depth player for the same role.

Yeah I love Durds but this has me conflicted. Fog has been V Good until today and provided a lot of forward line pressure. Wouldn't like to see him dropped over 1 bad performance. We will need strong bodies and lots of pressure against Melbourne.
The combo of Fog, Cuners and Martin, since GC game, has us 7-0. The fwd line was a dysfunctional mess before these guys were added.

Let’s not fix what’s not broken.

Durds I rate long term but his 2’s form pretty vanilla before his latest injury set back, would want to do a lot more to earn his spot for now

I think they will go with
in Boyd out Fog, Fogarty becomes the sub. I’m not sure if they’ll try Boyd in that forward role or if Fish will play there but that’s my guess. If it’s not working just sub Fogarty in.
Marchbank will stay in but he is a worry. He has always been shaky with the ball and it’s heart in mouth in any one on one. His athleticism though does help us cover the ground.

Also Curnow had one of the best 10minutes you’ll see from a sub but I don’t think that’s sustainable
Caleb Marchbank is an outstanding footballer, just ask his team mates how they rate him.

Lacks continuity and match practice, just like a chap called Charlie Curnow did when he was pretty vanilla in late 2021.

He’ll come good, lock it in.

Calling him “VFL standard” is beyond comical.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back