Preview 2023 Rd 22 Carlton vs Melbourne Saturday August 12 7:30M @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

NO. CHANGES.

Sam Docherty will play his 150th game in the Navy Blue guernsey - the jumper he grew up wearing as a supporter - as Carlton looks to continue its strong run of form from recent months.

Last weekend’s sub, Ed Curnow is the sole omission from the Round 22 team: he has been named as one of four emergencies alongside Jordan Boyd (now available after suspension), Sam Durdin and Josh Honey. One of those four will be named as sub an hour before the bounce.

Backs:Alex CincottaJacob WeiteringAdam Saad
Half-backs:Nic NewmanCaleb MarchbankBrodie Kemp
Centreline:Blake AcresPatrick CrippsOliver Hollands
Half-forwards:Jack MartinTom De KoningDavid Cuningham
Forwards:Lachie FogartyCharlie CurnowMatthew Owies
Followers:Marc PittonetSam DochertyGeorge Hewett
Interchange:Matthew CottrellPaddy DowZac Fisher
Jesse Motlop
Emergencies:Jordan BoydEd CurnowSam Durdin
Josh Honey

Pitto atm should not be playing as he's not clearly right. Can't even bend his knee. I'd be more inclined to bring in Sam Durdin or Young this game to cover as a second ruck and tall.
You'd ruck Sam Durdin or Young against Max Gawn? Sounds like a recipe for disaster for me.

Go back and have a look at the 2nd half yesterday. Pitto was a solid contributor. There's no way he's not playing this week.

If we lose, I think we still make finals. If we win we we will be hunting the top 4. Melbourne, Brisbane and Port's spot. Brisbane and Port are very shakey.

Melbourne - Carlton, Hawthorn, Sydney

Brisbane - Adelaide, Collingwood, St Kilda

Port - GWS, Fremantle, Richmond

IMO if we win against Melbourne, we won't lose again. It's conceivable that at least one of these top 4 side could have two losses to come.

This game has a lot on it for us. Win and we are likely to get a top 4 spot. If we do that we win the flag IMO.

Fisher played the same role yesterday that Boyd will play. It's hard to see us playing a back 7 that includes Fisher, Boyd, Newman and Saad. Especially with JVR, melksham, Gawn when resting and Petry replacement up there. So for mine either Boyd or Fisher are sub.

No other changes unless one of our on ballers is available.

He absolutely is a walk up start, no doubt that he will come straight back in. I still would like to see him do 20% of the ruck work so that we only carry one of the two ruckmen into a game. If it worked out it'd sort out the relief ruck problem and also strengthen our forward line.

I’ve been in this camp for a LONG time. Makes so much sense.

But Voss seems to love his dual rucks.

I loved what Pitto did last year but he’s not passing the eye test in 2023.

If we lose, I think we still make finals. If we win we we will be hunting the top 4. Melbourne, Brisbane and Port's spot. Brisbane and Port are very shakey.

IMO if we win against Melbourne, we won't lose again. It's conceivable that at least one of these top 4 side could have two losses to come.

This game has a lot on it for us. Win and we are likely to get a top 4 spot. If we do that we win the flag IMO.
Port will probably lose next 2.. if best Tigers who will shut up shop by then. As it’s in Adelaide can see Cotchin and Riewoldt retiring the game before at the MCG.

Might have to play acres up there ala caddy for Richmond in 2017. Been screaming out for him to play up forward as a 3rd tall. He’s brimming with confidence too so he’ll love the opportunity to kick more snags.
Not sure about robbing Peter to pay Paul, but the idea has merit. He spent plenty of time in a variety of roles at the Saints a few years back. His most common role was 3rd tall forward/ pinch hitting ruck.

I have heard plenty of worse suggestions. Do we trust Binns to come in (fresh) and do the hard yards on a wing?

Fisher played the same role yesterday that Boyd will play. It's hard to see us playing a back 7 that includes Fisher, Boyd, Newman and Saad. Especially with JVR, melksham, Gawn when resting and Petry replacement up there. So for mine either Boyd or Fisher are sub.

Newman is 187cm, Melksham is 186cm.
Gawn will play ruck, won't be resting forward, Pitt/TDK will be matched up on him at all times.

Should just be JVR & Smith/Brown forward, I doubt they'll play all 3.

That being said, yes I can definitely see Fisher dropping out for Boyd, instead of Marchbank.

2 games in 4 weeks. The VFL is a s*** competition for a reserves competition. Starts late, has byes galore, not much of a reserves comp IMO.
It’s pretty stupid to be running so many byes now when teams could be looking to give injured players a run of games before finals.
Would have thought now is when they need to be playing

We’d need someone to lose all 3 and us win all 3…

Yeah I love Durds but this has me conflicted. Fog has been V Good until today and provided a lot of forward line pressure. Wouldn't like to see him dropped over 1 bad performance. We will need strong bodies and lots of pressure against Melbourne.
Fog was the recruit of the year when he first appeared for us, then massively fell away.
See where this ends up on selection.
A C.Durds fan & would like to see what he could offer in the newfound team form.

Fisher did impress me. It's amazing what a kick up the backside can do. He'll keep his spot.

With Boyd being available and Kempy pulling up a bit sore, we might shuffle the line up that faced the Saints.

I'm not interested in risking Cerra or Walsh.

I think Dow earned another full game. Some of his early on mistakes... Crippa was making a lot of dumb ones too let's be honest here and Doc was even worse in the first half.

For them Petty will be out, Clarry comes in... could they recall Grundy to try and stretch our back line?

I think Sam Durdin plays if either Kemp misses and/or Grundy is selected.

We need more from Pitto. He provides a big body in the contest but he just doesn't take enough marks at either end of the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The answer is yes they can play.

But we'd need to take whatever Category B rookie we promoted back off our senior list.

I don't even know who that is..?

Akuei?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

There’s nothing to do with Cat B’s any longer, they can play whenever selected and are up to 2 players outside the squad numbers.
ZW & Philp are now on the Inactive List, which is how Cincotta & HOK were selected (taking up 2 spots on the rookie list & will do for their re-signing for next season).
Mirkov is also now Inactive, which may allow Philp to resume playing, though not sure if restricted to VFL duties or if able to play at all. I think it all comes down to replacing Philp with Mirkov.

We are not likely to get a top 4 spot.

We will need to win all our remaining games and Brisbane or Port would have to lose their last 3 games.

Lions: Crows (Gabba, haven't lost there all year), Pies (Marvel), Saints (Gabba)

Port: GWS (Adelaide Oval), Dockers (Optus Stadium), Tigers (Adelaide Oval)

Not gonna happen.

We are not likely to get a top 4 spot.

We will need to win all our remaining games and Brisbane or Port would have to lose their last 3 games.

Lions: Crows (Gabba, haven't lost there all year), Pies (Marvel), Saints (Gabba)

Port: GWS (Adelaide Oval), Dockers (Optus Stadium), Tigers (Adelaide Oval)

Not gonna happen.
Port is the only (slim) hope.

It’s pretty stupid to be running so many byes now when teams could be looking to give injured players a run of games before finals.
Would have thought now is when they need to be playing
I still don't understand with so many teams they can't play along with the AFL fixture have less byes -- is it financial with the travel ?

I'm not even dreaming of Top 4 whilst we could still easily finish outside the 8. Just got to keep winning. Every game is mini final.

If we get there, I'd back us to do well.

Still so many ways to not make it. Dees, Suns and Giants will all take some beating, and we have to beat 1, maybe 2.

There’s nothing to do with Cat B’s any longer, they can play whenever selected and are up to 2 players outside the squad numbers.
ZW & Philp are now on the Inactive List, which is how Cincotta & HOK were selected (taking up 2 spots on the rookie list & will do for their re-signing for next season).
Mirkov is also now Inactive, which may allow Philp to resume playing, though not sure if restricted to VFL duties or if able to play at all. I think it all comes down to replacing Philp with Mirkov.
I think you can pretty much pull anyone off the street to play VFL. Harley Reid played for * on the weekend after playing for our seconds earlier in the year. Would only be a problem if we wanted Philp to play 1s

Who was Fish's opponent yesterday?
Boyd will be more defensive, but it'd hard to drop Fish off that game. Maybe Fog as sub?

Not sure about robbing Peter to pay Paul, but the idea has merit. He spent plenty of time in a variety of roles at the Saints a few years back. His most common role was 3rd tall forward/ pinch hitting ruck.

I have heard plenty of worse suggestions. Do we trust Binns to come in (fresh) and do the hard yards on a wing?
We can line him up against hunter who is a smaller type but he has the edge in experience… or we can push fisher up the ground since Boyd is available. Might even play Boyd on a wing.

I understand we don’t want to upset the applecart but it was pretty clear we need another taller body up the ground to make a contest especially with Lever and May patrolling the air as opposed to Wilkie and Battle.

Apparently Philp will be in the 2's this week.

First week of finals, even Williams

Wait, are we allowed to play Philp and Williams given we freed up spots for them?
No, Philp and Williams are on the Inactive List - they cannot play AFL this season. But they could play VFL - as Les noted above for Philp.

The answer is yes they can play.

But we'd need to take whatever Category B rookie we promoted back off our senior list.

I don't even know who that is..?
This isn't correct. In days past, we had an Long-term Injury list, which allowed Rookie list players to be added to the Senior list. For a few years now, Rookie players can play AFL without anyone on the LTI, so the LTI has become redundant. There is no facility in the AFL rules for an Inactive List player to return to the playing list in the same season.

Would need to go to the AFL board for permission, and that would be highly unlikely - even if other players (e.g. Mirkov) were subsequently added to the Inactive List.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back