Autopsy 2023 Rd 5 Blues get smashed by Crows

Who played well for the Blues vs the Crows?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

What a funny read this thread has been !

Out of the defensive six ( top 3 defensive team in the competition till last night ) came Docherty and then McGovern in the pre-game warm up.
In the middle : Pittonet injured in the first quarter - so ruck duties split between TDK | Jack and even Cripps - we lost structure and rotations in ball ups and forward line for the whole match.

Defense

We got Plowman in for McGovern and lost intercept capability, footspeed rebound and smarts Carlton went into the game with not one but two of its rebounding and intercepting defenders against one of the hottest forward lines in teh competition on home ground

Midfield

I don't think Hewett has been fit to play since he broke his hand
Cripps was literally hobbling around the ground by half time
Kennedy was played in defense and Cerra was rotated through there as well

Forwards

We lost TDK as a rotating forward, Jack as a third tall - so forward structure was flushed down the toilet.

Game:

I have never seen our midfield so comprehensively beaten in a quarter football - Q1 if anyone is confused
Despite all the above - the team rallied to get back to 3 goals down until the cumulative cost of all the above was just too much in Q4.

Congratulations to Adelaide for taking advantage of the situation - their contested ball wins in Q1 was another level they wanted the ball more and outworked our on-ball brigade and made the most of their forward entry opportunities. A number of Carlton players were coming off in Q1 with blood pouring down their heads - no doubt Adelaide were 'up' for this game in front of home crowd.

Stuff that didn't work

1. Plowman in for McGovern
2. Honey in for Pittonet ( LOL)
3. Kennedy, Cerra and even Jack into defensive rotation roles ( ie no Cincotta or even Kemp as emergencies)

Just my opinion on viewing the match - I prefer some reasoning based on facts over entitled bleating

Players who I think are not finals quality to put it nicely : Fisher, Honey and Plowman and TDK against any big bodied wrestling ruckman.

Cheers
JaB

Nathan Buckley said we would lose by 5 goals on Tuesday

There’s something fundamentally bad that the coaching fraternity know about us.

We wilt under pressure, do poorly one on one and get absolutely sliced in transition.

How many coast to coast scoring shots did we conceded last night ? I counted at least 4-5

What about out of the middle…between the dumb free kicks giving them first use or being absolutely bullied at the contest we had no clean possession coming out of the middle

We can’t spread, our mids rarely help out in defence.
Without Gov or Doc we have zero rebound off half back.

The forward line entires are amateurish at best.
Charlie and Harry don’t help when they contest for the same high ball.

Considering plan A is to bomb it long to the big boys, you would assume that we would have plenty of swift footed smalls waiting to pounce on the crumbs and get to work….

But alas the crows just walk the ball out and slingshot it forward at warp speed, putting the defence out of position rendering our zone useless.

FIX IT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Plan A is to bomb it long no matter where we have the ball. From fullback, the backline or into the forward line.

This needs to be addressed ASAP.

I think it's crucial we find more goal kickers. Our smalls aren't that good, I think we need to accept that now. Motlop isn't quite ready yet and I think Durdin is quite slow with the footy. He doesn't make quick decisions. Owies is limited as we know but probably looked the best of them.

What happened to Cripps playing the centre forward role? He's hardly done it since mid last season. He kicked 20 goals and won a Brownlow doing it but we've shelved it for some reason.

Mid-season draft we have to look at medium sized goal kickers. The talls are set, and are elite, but from there it's pretty barren.

Everyone slotting Plow and Weiters.....

Games are won or lost in the midfield. As it was last night (noted, some poor defensive efforts too).

Our centre square work has gone from being #1 in the comp. to #18.....

Same cattle.

Gotta get your hands on the pill, first and foremost, to even begin to have a chance of winning.

Then comes smart ball use, leg speed etc.

Our mids went missing last night - again, it looks systemic, so presumably fixable.

Hewett - there's something not right there presently....he's not THAT slow normally.

Up to the leaders to lead now - Cripps, Walsh, Weiters, Harry, Charlie, even Kennedy and Hewett are de facto leaders.....

Is Guv out for a stretch? Saad?

Need a few players dumped too - send a bloody message.....

Last night was unacceptable.

Last edited:
100% agree with you. I just find it funny how last year Voss was the messiah and now after 1 loss he isn’t the right man for the job.
Hope we learn something from last night. I have full faith in our coaches and the system they have in place.
I guess only time will tell.

Actually, a lot of people have been concerned with Voss since mid last year when his lack of creativity and conservative approach started to reveal itself. Think there was more tolerance bc he’d only had the one preseason.

What a funny read this thread has been !

Out of the defensive six ( top 3 defensive team in the competition till last night ) came Docherty and then McGovern in the pre-game warm up.
In the middle : Pittonet injured in the first quarter - so ruck duties split between TDK | Jack and even Cripps - we lost structure and rotations in ball ups and forward line for the whole match.

Defense

We got Plowman in for McGovern and lost intercept capability, footspeed rebound and smarts Carlton went into the game with not one but two of its rebounding and intercepting defenders against one of the hottest forward lines in teh competition on home ground

Midfield

I don't think Hewett has been fit to play since he broke his hand
Cripps was literally hobbling around the ground by half time
Kennedy was played in defense and Cerra was rotated through there as well

Forwards

We lost TDK as a rotating forward, Jack as a third tall - so forward structure was flushed down the toilet.

Game:

I have never seen our midfield so comprehensively beaten in a quarter football - Q1 if anyone is confused
Despite all the above - the team rallied to get back to 3 goals down until the cumulative cost of all the above was just too much in Q4.

Congratulations to Adelaide for taking advantage of the situation - their contested ball wins in Q1 was another level they wanted the ball more and outworked our on-ball brigade and made the most of their forward entry opportunities. A number of Carlton players were coming off in Q1 with blood pouring down their heads - no doubt Adelaide were 'up' for this game in front of home crowd.

Stuff that didn't work

1. Plowman in for McGovern
2. Honey in for Pittonet ( LOL)
3. Kennedy, Cerra and even Jack into defensive rotation roles ( ie no Cincotta or even Kemp as emergencies)

Just my opinion on viewing the match - I prefer some reasoning based on facts over entitled bleating

Players who I think are not finals quality to put it nicely : Fisher, Honey and Plowman and TDK against any big bodied wrestling ruckman.

Cheers
JaB
I've seen comments suggesting that Plowman was selected for his versatility. If so, he must be open to changing hotel rooms at short notice, because it's not anything he provides on the field.

I think it's crucial we find more goal kickers. Our smalls aren't that good, I think we need to accept that now. Motlop isn't quite ready yet and I think Durdin is quite slow with the footy. He doesn't make quick decisions. Owies is limited as we know but probably looked the best of them.

What happened to Cripps playing the centre forward role? He's hardly done it since mid last season. He kicked 20 goals and won a Brownlow doing it but we've shelved it for some reason.

Mid-season draft we have to look at medium sized goal kickers. The talls are set, and are elite, but from there it's pretty barren.
He looks great taking on the ruck duties thou 🤦‍♂️ that pisses me off to the next lvl seeing him take on the throw ins in the forward line.

Tonight was a worry. If it happens next week, it’ll say a lot about how we haven’t improved at all since last season.
Let’s see how they respond.
Round 24 is the only time that will say if we haven't improved. In a win-loss comp, we are about the same as last season's start

We like to play rope a dope for the first half and then explode in the third quarter. It’s a good style and it’s won flags in the past but Adelaide knew that’s what we wanted.

They absolutely punched us in the face in that first quarter, brutal tackling and huge numbers around the ball. It was over half way through the first quarter and all they had to do then was protect their lead.

Vossy will have to find a way to counter this or teams will start doing it every week, the same as how we got worked out last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are better than tonight, but no where near a top 4 side. At the moment I’d say we sit 7-12th.

Our game plan was figured out last year, stop us in the middle - hit wide and spread us from the middle and then pressure us when we do get the ball into unforced errors.

Hewitt and Kennedy can’t be in the same midfield IMO.

Our forward entries are hideous and our smalls (outside of Durdin) aren’t reliably good at forward pressure.

Silvagni only has a position in the side if someone is injured and he plays the hybrid every role on the field - forward, ruck etc.

Desperately need pace and xfactor in the middle. Moving Fisher into the middle who can’t tackle is absolutely not that. Missed doc providing us some run through the middle tonight, but I genuinely don’t know what changes would fix it? We just don’t have those type of players.

McGovern, Williams and Martin recruiting failures bitting hard.

Voss needs to sort something out, because with two Coleman medal forwards, Weitering down back and Cripps, Walsh etc in the middle we can’t afford to be a middle road team.
It’s sad isn’t it. We have a premiership winning spine, two A grade mids and a whole heap of talent but the glue is missing. The cheapest part of the equation is missing! Infuriatin!

So this loss has little to do with him, but he’s so disruptive to the backline that we lost so bad? Keays, Fogarty and Walker pulled our pants down, yet a bloke who played little to no time on any of them is at fault? Was he perfect, no, he never has been, but hey, he’s an easy target - and did a much better defensive job tonight than most of the back 6.

No. This isn't about this 1 game result.

Slipped/poor tackling and Carlton= death and taxes.

Anyone want to go back and give us a stat for how many times a Crow player side stepped a Carlton attempted tackle?

How about the number of times our player over committed in speed and we're swatted away like a fly by the Crow player?

How about the number of times we're tackling solely at the hips of a Crow player and they still easily get an effective handball off?

The writing is on the wall we need to rebuild the list on the run, through the draft. This incudes putting up some players with currency for trade, and hope Austin has identified some 2nd and 3rd round specials. Here are some names for you
Mcgovern
De konig
Silvagni
Fisher

These players can be good but we need to change our mix and for all mcgovern's positives, his fitness and age means i would test the market.

Wow Voss just said “we’ve started the year in good shape” now I’m even more concerned
Yep, there is the problem.right there in the presser. He.was proud that.we didn't let it blow
Just weak in the guts, the amount of missed tackles I seen was a joke, and our manning up after a behind was the worse I've seen, Vossy better punish these blokes at training next week
Did you hear his press conference. He was quite happy apart from the first quarter and last 15 mins. He's not going to be having a go at any player. WEAK.

We lack true midfield depth- all our mids are to alike and none are truly penetrating efficient kicks -- our wings aren't penetrating kicks so who kicks inside 50..
When you have twin towers, your spine sorted, this is what you recruit! But no we recruit put it on the boot, bomb it long and hope. Infuriated me how the crows entered 50 compared to us. Just ridiculous.

The writing is on the wall we need to rebuild the list on the run, through the draft. This incudes putting up some players with currency for trade, and hope Austin has identified some 2nd and 3rd round specials. Here are some names for you
Mcgovern
De konig
Silvagni
Fisher

These players can be good but we need to change our mix and for all mcgovern's positives, his fitness and age means i would test the market.
Completely agree it’s not going to take much to right the ship, a couple of the right players. Identify them, get the currency and get it done for next year when our window will be truly open.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2023 Rd 5 Blues get smashed by Crows

Back