Autopsy 2023 Rd 6 Misfiring Blues drop their bundle again

These are the answers ... what was the question again?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

What I liked:

McKay's form
Hollands' form
Figuring out a 1-ruck system that didn't rely on Jack for relief duties
Cincotta debut

What I didn't like:

Complete lack of mobility from Charlie until the game was dead
Complete lack of mobility from everyone bar about 6 players
The compulsive need to alternate between forcing the slowest ball movement across ground in modern AFL history, and the most blinkered inability to spot a switch option
The compulsive need to pick 7 forwards and 7 defenders if possible without any concern for form or talent

utter garbage from a list with that amount of talent.

im questioning the coaches now.

hansen has had plenty of time to make some changes with our attack and we are no diff to what we were under bolts or teague. same old long bombs

what changes has voss made as a coach?

craig mcrae took filth to a top contender in one season

ross lyon making a saints skeleton crew team and beat us...imagine if they had king and a few others?

See what, we use the ball so slowly - and poorly - by the time we try to enter I50, 16 of the Saints defenders are behind the ball.

I don't know how someone can't see that.
We use it slowly because there's no one to kick to...... The bigs play too far up the ground or too deep and the smalls are just disconnected. There's no ability to get it to them quickly. 🤦🏼‍♂️

Who do you think creates a culture for players to succeed in.

This list hasn't been playing for 20 years. You literally implicate coaching by mentioning culture then contradict yourself. 🤦🏼‍♂️😂. It all comes from the coaches box. Attitude, structure, confidence, cohesion and composure. Which translates to 'footy IQ' on field. Or a lack of it.

Perhaps, I think it's way too early/premature in the season to call for Voss's sacking though.

Still plenty of time left in the season for he and the coaching panel to work things out.

The effort (least for the first 2 and a bit quarters) was a lot better than last week.

Also we probably are selling St Kilda short, even with all their injuries, they have only lost one game so far this season

I am still confident we will play finals and Vossy will get the boys humming again (hopefully starting next week)

Some playing changes (3 or 4) Definitely required though for next week.

Firstly Ollie Hollands is a f’kn young gun, brilliant pickup…
Also well done to Cowan and Cincotta…
Some of the same crap served up every week lyes heavily on our coaching department, our methods in the way we are playing are flawed, it’s rinse and repeat across every line, we seem too lack the capacity to just try different ways to evolve areas of our predictable structures that have clearly been worked out and are simply not working…
Players need to share just as much of the blame also with some of the poor crap served up as well, they had a crack today but let themselves down once again by many poor skill errors, turnovers and again general decision making…

We really need speed in this team, but that was a putrid effort after halftime

The turning points for me was Sinclair in the middle and we didn't send Ed with him.

Then the Jsos and Harry misses were the momentum changes

Voss, this team, need to decide when it's time to go, you don't hold back. When time to retain the ball, you don't rush it

Mots, Durdin, Honey had very little impact when the ball hit the ground

The lack of cameos in the middle makes us too predictable. Contests on the inside much better, on the outside was terrible
Agree with most of this, but seriously how does Honey get a game before Dow, it is absolutely head in sand stuff by the coaching panel.

Game plan has become so conservative, l think we are in trouble unless significant change occurs.

Yes. Cerra was great. Walsh was great. Cincotta had a fantastic debut.

What were yours?

Thanks for asking and giving me the opportunity, I think it’s important that after a loss like today that we should try and accentuate the positives- which I have made in other posts. But I agree with you, as I mentioned I thought Cincotta was terrific and Cerra never stopped trying.

I think I'm fairly positive when it comes to the Blues, but we are way off it at the moment.

Even with our injuries, we have one of the best lists in the comp (on paper at least) but that's only half the battle.

Average game plan with no other options or changes, poor performing players not getting dropped, disgusting forward 50 entries and teams absolutely destroy us on the transition.

No surprises really, a maybe middle of the road team has gotten touched up by a couple of top 4 fancies. Poor but not alarming.

Need to beat up on WC to regain some confidence. Maybe without some of the lesser performers who have managed to stay in the side. Not sure what will happen if we lose over there, it's not beyond us to cough it up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How we let one Board member veto Ross when he was clearly the best coach available and had the hard edge we need and wanted the job is a disgrace...
YES, given how things have gone this issue deserves a formal inquiry. For two decades the club has had a history of poor decisions, for example, the Brian Cook appointment, the treatment of Cain Liddle, treatment of SOS, two failed super coaches, and the way Voss was selected over Lyon. And the club is adept at a surfeit of rhetoric, that sadly isn't matched by on field results. History will record our "honourable losses" and inability to play finals (2013 doesn't count) for more than two decades.

This is probably close to the most disappointed I have been in this club in the last 10 years, which is really saying something. At least when we were completely sh*t, we had top draft picks and obvious improvements in store.

Seems we can't lift our level even back to where we were last year. We are slow, can't capitalise when dominating at the contest and get punished when we're not. Never look super dangerous like Adelaide did last week, and unless Charlie and Harry get miles on top we have few avenues to goal. Unable to score heavily in a short space of time, other teams know that we are vulnerable if they just keep attacking us hard.

Cannot see us making finals now as our game plan has been worked out, we can't beat most of the top teams and will lose to enough of the bottom teams to cost us.

Looks like time to face the reality that we are not in nor are we almost in a premiership window. Invest the rest of this year in trying to find another game plan and instructions to the players that actually work. Then at end of this season, time for a clean out. Goodbye to all of those those perennially injured types and a few that clearly just aren't up to it. Invest heavily on the draft. It's the only way forward from here.

This team isn't good enough to win the flag. Collingwood, Adelaide, St Kilda and probably Essendon have all gone past the blues. Might sneak into 8 but would only be making up numbers at best.
Honestly I can handle being a middle of the road team, but not when we've been rebuilding for years, and when teams like you mention turn it around it in 2-3 years.

What did Voss say in the presser?
Is he proud we didn't lose by 6 goals?
he is becoming a puppet churning out the same ol rubbish...he has some understanding of the game but sadly not deep enough to coach imo we are going to need a senior assistant quick smart

i dont think sacking coaches is working...surprisingly

Players and the culture 100 %

We have been down this path of blaming coaches way too often in the last 20 years.

How many excuses should they get?

So if they decide he’s the wrong coach for our list.. do you stick with him just because we’ve sacked coaches before? When you’ve made a mistake you need to accept you’ve made a mistake and rectify it. He has some time to turn it around but my opinion is that this is largely on the coaching and the confusion around the game plan that’s causing a lot of the skill errors. He was brought in as coach to take us to finals. Our Presidents words were we expect finals with this list. He has the rest of the year to get it done or he’s failed by the metrics that were put in place. The list has two Coleman medal winners. A Brownlow winner. All-Australians. Stacked with talent.

The players also need to take some blame too clearly.. no denying that.. but not addressing a mistake just because you’ve made mistakes before is the wrong ideology in my opinion. Let’s see how the rest of the year plays out before we jump the gun.

I
Thanks for asking Aphrodite, as I have mentioned elsewhere I think Cincotta was good as was Cerra, it’s important that after a loss like this that we try and be positive.
I'd prefer that they sort out what's gone wrong with the team, yet again. This season is presently shaping up as another failed campaign if something doesn't change quickly.

These guys are lazy. Seriously lazy
YES, given how things have gone this issue deserves a formal inquiry. For two decades the club has had a history of poor decisions, for example, the Brian Cook appointment, the treatment of Cain Liddle, treatment of SOS, two failed super coaches, and the way Voss was selected over Lyon. And the club is adept at a surfeit of rhetoric, that sadly isn't matched by on field results. History will record our "honourable losses" and inability to play finals (2013 doesn't count) for more than two decades.
cry me a river.

Lyon was terrible at Freo for the last 4 years of his tenure....shit house frankly.

And then there was the legitimately serious off field stuff.

He's 6 games in to 2023 season and beat a very out of sorts Blues' outfit today. Just.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2023 Rd 6 Misfiring Blues drop their bundle again

Back