Toast 2023 Rising Star - Congratulations Harry Sheezel of The North Melbourne Football Club

Remove this Banner Ad

He's now had more 30+ disposal games than Ashcroft has had 20+ disposal games this season.
Disposals can be hard to compare though. Sheezel isn't fighting anyone down back who may take these touches away from him, except maybe Ziebell.
Ashcroft was playing in the centre with 2 of the best ball winners in the league in Dunkley and Neale, always 3rd in line at best.

How will the panel weight those numbers? I'm not sure, but counting stats can be misleading and tell any story.

Nah, not really. I posted this last year:
Okay, please point to a case of so called Vic bias for this award. I can demonstrate how it isn't. Facts about Rising Star:

• There have been 29 Rising Star awards
  • 14 have been won by non-Victorian sides
  • Brisbane have won 4 as the Bears and the Lions
  • Fremantle and Sydney have won 3 each
  • Two sides have yet to win the award, GWS and the Western Bulldogs
  • Of the past 15 rising stars, 7 played midfield that year, 4 played defence, 3 played forward and one played ruck
  • Of the past 15 rising stars, 11 were first year players, 3 were second year players and one third year player
  • Of the past 15 rising stars, 8 of them have been from non-Victorian teams

In reality the only bias about the rising star is that it favours first year players, and if anything it's skewn more towards non-Victorian sides even though they make up 55% of the league
So yeah, a clear first year bias in terms of this award. Has Owens been clearly better than Sheezel? Not really. Sheezel will highly likely win because of that.

Johnson will be stiff to miss, 21 touches, a goal and 5 tackles on top of other games this season below. He has impacted as a sub at times but also been reliable at CBA's from opening bounce.

15 touches, 3 tackles and a goal
22 touches & 2 tackles
2o touches, 4 tackles
25 touches, 6 tackles
16 touches, 7 tackles and a goal
19 touches, 5 tackles
18 touches, 4 tackles

Nah, not really. I posted this last year:

So yeah, a clear first year bias in terms of this award. Has Owens been clearly better than Sheezel? Not really. Sheezel will highly likely win because of that.
Sheezel gives me real Dyson Heppell vibes. He's great for a first year player, but what's his above-average skill besides accumulation?

Sheezel gives me real Dyson Heppell vibes. He's great for a first year player, but what's his above-average skill besides accumulation?
Elite kick.

Oh dear lol - His kicking - Footy IQ - His hands. He is also amazing forward - he had not played half back until the practice games.

And someone claiming media bias if Owens dosen't win - lol. Sheezel is that far in front. Only reason he isn't because he plays for North and we can't have nice things apparently.

Elite kick, quick hands and very quick decision making. He's special.

That banana into the corridor in the last quarter against your mob summed him up beautifully. Made a split second decision under pressure and executed it.

That is one of the worst takes I have ever read on this forum (and that is saying something)

Incredible hands, elite decision making, fast reaction times. Lets not forget he has never played half back before this year and his natural position is as half forward. I still think he ends up a midfielder at some stage. I think because of playing at half back and the ease at which he is racking up touches and NIck Daicos doing it last year he isn;t getting fair commentary.

Johnson will be stiff to miss, 21 touches, a goal and 5 tackles on top of other games this season below. He has impacted as a sub at times but also been reliable at CBA's from opening bounce.

15 touches, 3 tackles and a goal
22 touches & 2 tackles
2o touches, 4 tackles
25 touches, 6 tackles
16 touches, 7 tackles and a goal
19 touches, 5 tackles
18 touches, 4 tackles
Don't disagree that is a solid collection of games but Tsatas had 23 touches (7 contested), 7 score involvements, 4 clearances, 3 tackles and a critical goal in the last qtr of a tight game. Will be interesting to see which way they go. Tsatas statistically had the better game this round, it's just a question if it was that much better to justify the nom over body of work of Johnson. I think they will prob go Johnson though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol - Sheezel as well isn't even playing the position he was recruited in. Once he moves into midfield/half forward we will see how good he actually is with his skills. He is mecurial in front of goal. Nothing like Heppell at all.

Don't disagree that is a solid collection of games but Tsatas had 23 touches (7 contested), 7 score involvements, 4 clearances, 3 tackles and a critical goal in the last qtr of a tight game. Will be interesting to see which way they go. Tsatas statistically had the better game this round, it's just a question if it was that much better to justify the nom over body of work of Johnson. I think they will prob go Johnson though.

Tsatas will definitely get one next season, Johnson will be ineligible by then, so from a fairness point of view it should go to Johnno

I didn’t see Johnson’s game so can’t comment on that but Tsatas was super impressive. Sure it might have only been against north but he showed how good he is.

Really liked tsatas on Saturday. Gonna be a gun

Lol didn't see this nomination coming

Really good kid is Hewett, who is going to be a very decent player, but has anyone been nominated after their team was flogged by 100 points before?

They had two absolute clear cut choices and chose neither

They had two absolute clear cut choices and chose neither

Agreed. Definitely the most weird/unexpected nomination this season (if nor for several years in fact)

As I said previously, can't recall the last time a player was nominated after his team was flogged by 100 in a game. Just weird (although Hewett does look like a talent tbh)

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast 2023 Rising Star - Congratulations Harry Sheezel of The North Melbourne Football Club

Remove this Banner Ad

Back