Toast 2023 Rising Star - Congratulations Harry Sheezel of The North Melbourne Football Club

Remove this Banner Ad

5 - Sheezel
4 - Ashcroft
3 - Amiss
2 - Owies
1 - who cares

Amiss should probably win but Vic bias 😆, not many key position players kick 40+ goals (assuming he gets 2 in the next 2 rounds. Especially coming off a kidney laceration last year robbing us of his first year and severely impairing his physical development.
He'll be the 10th KPF to do it. 40 isn't uncommon for KPF in general.

If I’m correct, the last one is Jesse Hogan who kicked 45 goals.

He also actually kinda did stuff around the ground. I like Amiss but it's chalk and cheese compared to Hogan's RS season.

1692153140326.png

Amiss' output is similar to Ginnivan last year.

Both opportunist goal scorers that did very little around the ground. Very impressive goal scoring numbers and rightfully both will place somewhere in the top 5 but they shouldn't be considered a serious chance to win the whole thing.

It's between Ashcroft/Sheezel/Owens.

Amiss' output is similar to Ginnivan last year.

Both opportunist goal scorers that did very little around the ground. Very impressive goal scoring numbers and rightfully both will place somewhere in the top 5 but they shouldn't be considered a serious chance to win the whole thing.

It's between Ashcroft/Sheezel/Owens.
Ginnivan got a lot from ducking for frees. Plus collingwood had plenty of other threats up forward, and were the best ball movement team in the league. Amiss does it as the number 1 KPF taking the oppos best defender every week, and on a bottom 4 team. A lot more impressive.

Either way, it's ridiculous that a guy in his first full season sitting 15th in the Coleman shouldn't be considered a serious chance to win rising star.

Ginnivan got a lot from ducking for frees. Plus collingwood had plenty of other threats up forward, and were the best ball movement team in the league. Amiss does it as the number 1 KPF taking the oppos best defender every week, and on a bottom 4 team. A lot more impressive.

Either way, it's ridiculous that a guy in his first full season sitting 15th in the Coleman shouldn't be considered a serious chance to win rising star.

Hogan put out elite numbers as a CHF in the 2nd worst side in the comp (and arguably one of the worst sides of all time). That's what it takes for a KPF to win the rising star.

Riewoldt had the most marks in the competition in his Rising Star year.

Amiss is close but it's always been a midfielders award. You have to have a truly exceptional season as a KPP to come close. I don't think Amiss is at that level yet.

Hogan put out elite numbers as a CHF in the 2nd worst side in the comp (and arguably one of the worst sides of all time). That's what it takes for a KPF to win the rising star.

Amiss is close but it's always been a midfielders award. You have to have a truly exceptional season as a KPP to come close. I don't think Amiss is at that level yet.
Again, it hasn't really been a midfielder's award. It's always favoured first year players.
Okay, please point to a case of so called Vic bias for this award. I can demonstrate how it isn't. Facts about Rising Star:

• There have been 30 Rising Star awards
  • 14 have been won by non-Victorian sides
  • Brisbane have won 4 as the Bears and the Lions
  • Fremantle and Sydney have won 3 each
  • Two sides have yet to win the award, GWS and the Western Bulldogs
  • Of the past 16 rising stars, 7 played midfield that year, 5 played defence, 3 played forward and one played ruck
  • Of the past 16 rising stars, 12 were first year players, 3 were second year players and one third year player
  • Of the past 16 rising stars, 8 of them have been from non-Victorian teams

In reality the only bias about the rising star is that it favours first year players, and if anything it's skewn more towards non-Victorian sides even though they make up 55% of the league.
Again, adjusted for Daicos last year.

And that's the whole problem with the award. There's not a single reason why it should be a midfielders award. Ultimately, KPFs are measured by the amount of goals they kick. That's their job. There are only 10 KPFs in the whole league who have kicked more than Amiss. He's playing one of the hardest positions in the league, especially for a skinny second year player who has yet to complete a pre-season, and is excelling at it.

You can't tell me that Aschroft getting 20 touches a game while surrounded by some of the best mids in the comp who take most of the attention away from him is more impressive than what Amiss is doing.

And that's the whole problem with the award. There's not a single reason why it should be a midfielders award. Ultimately, KPFs are measured by the amount of goals they kick. That's their job. There are only 10 KPFs in the whole league who have kicked more than Amiss. He's playing one of the hardest positions in the league, especially for a skinny second year player who has yet to complete a pre-season, and is excelling at it.

You can't tell me that Aschroft getting 20 touches a game while surrounded by some of the best mids in the comp who take most of the attention away from him is more impressive than what Amiss is doing.
Good thing it isn't, then, as I've shown.

The bias in the award is inherently towards first year players

In many other years Amiss would have won the RS. Unfortunately this year's class is loaded and Unfortunately Freo's up and down season has not helped (which actually I think probably should boost his case to win it)

Seems like it will be a top 3 combo of Sheezel, Ashcroft and Owens.

Amiss is going to likely win a Coleman or two for Freo one day, if that's any consolation to Dockers fans. He is a ripper

Not disagreeing with you. That's just how the cookie crumbles.

It's a pretty nothing award anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you mean bottom 5?

Not sure what other eligible players did this week, but Hustwaite might be a shot at getting the Nom this week.

15 disposals, 5 tackles, 2 goals, 5 score involvements and 2 clearances from 10 CBA’s.

Not sure what other eligible players did this week, but Hustwaite might be a shot at getting the Nom this week.

15 disposals, 5 tackles, 2 goals, 5 score involvements and 2 clearances from 10 CBA’s.
They should give it to Johnson for body of work, since he was robbed last week despite having the best performance of the round.

They should give it to Johnson for body of work, since he was robbed last week despite having the best performance of the round.
Where do you think he’ll end up?
Is quite uncontested for a mid.

Is good on the second possession and delivering when in clear space.

Could he possibly be more damaging on a wing? A good runner who may like the open space, particularly at Optus.

The AFL at the end of the regular season are free to nominate players who have been consistently good without being great. They should give the weekly nomination to the best player of that round.

Noah Long had 13 disposals as a small forward to go along with 6 tackles, 2 clearances, 4 i50s, 6 score involvements, and 2 goal assists in a win. Add that with 18 games worth of body of work and I can't see why he can't get it this week.

The AFL at the end of the regular season are free to nominate players who have been consistently good without being great. They should give the weekly nomination to the best player of that round.
But they don’t every week and even more so at the back end of the year. First game players are no chance and they still have next year to get a nomination.

Mitchito Owens is a deadset freak. Seen nothing like it.

Started the year as a the key forward, undersized and wouldn’t get outmarked, kicked reasonable goals for a Ross Lyon coached team.

At some point was the number one post clearance contested possession winner in the entire comp.

Goes into the ruck and holds his own, almost got them home against Pies when he went there late and was able to be an extra mid post ruck contest. The 1-2 combo with Marshall against North after 3qt won them the game.

The one half he was a full mid against Carlton he had 14 disposals in the first half going head to head with Cripps.

Saw him for some reason 1 on 1 with Hawkins (lost it but the fact he can even be there is crazy)

Goes loose man in defence late in games.

Absolutely no regard for his own safety, tough as nails.

The only rising star I can remember that can deadset play anywhere on the field.

1692581032275.png
Averages 11 less touches than Sheezel but still leads everyone on the most important stat in footy.

Maybe he should take the kick ins and rebound of half back next week to show he can receive the easy ball too

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast 2023 Rising Star - Congratulations Harry Sheezel of The North Melbourne Football Club

Remove this Banner Ad

Back