Autopsy 2023 Round 23 Wounded Blues Soar Back Into The 8

Who played well for the Blues in Round 23 vs the Eagles? *BLUES SUPPORTERS ONLY*

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I wanted Charlie on ball before he did his knee. I think he now ready to try this again

I would love our coaches to start making us unpredictable and more of a team contribution game

Charlie and Kemp can easily have midfield minutes and Harry can play Ruck.

IF we can deliever the ball better it makes us unpredictable and dangerous

I think they need to play charlie higher up the ground at times during the game, drag a tall back up the ground. makes some space and leave harry and smalls down there with a medium like kemp / JSOS playing the charlie second "tall".

Couple of key stats for me that highlighted our better forward mix and the way we delivered it

Marks inside fwd 50 - 15
Season avg - 11

Tackles inside fwd 50 - 20
Season avg - 12

407 disposals
Season avg - 358
Running and sharing?

Interesting we lost the hit outs 43-38 but won the clerarances 44-32
It's mostly in their heads.

100%. It’s not that we won but the way we won that impressed me. I thought we played a more modern running game. Maybe we learnt something off Hawks last week?

So many positives

Kemp
Ollie
Cincotta
Binns
Lord
Moir

Great to have options and potentially some real depth
Was a good running game but we had players running forward of the ball assuming we get possession, and with WC pressure dropping off then it worked.
Against the better sides , the pressure remains and we can get caught out when they get possession back.
It's a fine line

An absolute joy of a game to watch.

Looked like the boys were genuinely enjoying their footy again.

Question which crossed my mind, how do we think the season would've gone if we have played Young as the 2nd KPF and Kemp up forward for the whole season?

At the very least should have been done for the Port game... I believe that cost us dearly.

Couple of key stats for me that highlighted our better forward mix and the way we delivered it

Marks inside fwd 50 - 15
Season avg - 11

Season avg - 12

407 disposals
Season avg - 358
Running and sharing?

Telling soap.
Yesterday was the blueprint for moving forward imo
It’s a little concerning that it taken half our team to be out to change it up tho.
Yesterday showed us when we mix it up and get speed/spread/quick ball movement happening things open up.

Was a good running game but we had players running forward of the ball assuming we get possession, and with WC pressure dropping off then it worked.
Against the better sides , the pressure remains and we can get caught out when they get possession back.
It's a fine line

Wiggles had a +200 pressure rating at one stage...

It's a fine line

I though pressure was good from both. Eagles did drop off but they threw a lot at us and we handled it

Modern game is having players run forward of the ball and creating options. You are right though, it's a fine line but I really liked how we did it

Marks inside fwd 50 - 15
Season avg - 11

Season avg - 12

407 disposals
Season avg - 358
Running and sharing?

Looks good on paper, just feel the stats are bit inflated/favourable due to W.C not being very good....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kemps move to f50 is another great idea…..

Cinc and Elijah also great stories.

Looking like lord binns Moir and others at vfl stage will continue to bring new elements to our seniors team
I'm really hoping that Moir is one of those players that is suited more to senior football than reserves.

He might only get 10 or so touches, but with a bit of flair and brilliance

Hun

1. CAPTAIN CRIPPS
If the All Australian selectors are still to decide who is the captain of this year’s team, the Carlton skipper put his name at the top of the list on Sunday. You suspect it’s between Cripps and Marcus Bontempelli, the two resident bulls in the AFL paddock, and both would be worthy captains. Still, it’s games like Sunday’s win over the Eagles where legend is created. Cripps took his banged up team west and needed the win to save the season. From the start, he set a standard of competitiveness which his teammates fed off, and the Blues demolished their opposition. We’re not sure, outside of last year’s finals run, if he would be more proud of a performance since he was named Blues captain in 2019.
Yes, that’s how good the win was, and let alone how good he was. In the first half, when the game was to be won, he had 21 disposals, 13 contested possessions and six score involvements. Overall, it was 35, 21 and 12. Add 10 clearances to that package. Others followed him. Kemp kicked four goals as the stand-in key forward, the Holland brothers and George Hewett cut the mustard in the midfield, Pittonet had eight clearances, and Owies kicked his sixth three-bagger of the season. Every player had a moment of importance in a game which maybe wasn’t one for the ages, but my God, it was full of ticker and high pressure. A rating of 198 with their backs to the wall was enormous.

was thinking the same watching yesterday.

Maybe he likes too many sneaky beers?
Yet he runs a faster 2km than Buckley could ever have dreamed of

Elijah's 2km time is 5:54 - Ollie ran this at the combine and Elijah in his last Suns pre-season

Their 2km times are SO impressive that they would be olympic caliber 5km or 1500m runners with much lighter frames.

It would be good to see Elijah strip the puppy fat but I am not concerned one bit

I'm really hoping that Moir is one of those players that is suited more to senior football than reserves.

He might only get 10 or so touches, but with a bit of flair and brilliance
Absolutely...

At times i thought I was watching Jamarra Ugle-Hagan playing for us ...moves a bit like him, great hands and a similar athletic body type

Cant wait to see him more regularly in the seniors

There is so many players to praise for that effort. Names are coming left, right, and centre.
Another one that didn't stop was owies. Was In everything, I especially remember one 0assage where in tight, he knocked the ball out to our advantage then ran on, got it again and handballs it to a team mate who kicks a goal.
I yelled "your goal Mat"

Like many team mates, he should be proud of his game

Marks inside fwd 50 - 15
Season avg - 11

Season avg - 12

407 disposals
Season avg - 358
Running and sharing?

On the tackles inside F50, we had 16 combined for the three weeks prior to last night which shows a lot about our intent yesterday.

I've mentioned it in another thread a few weeks ago but I think the big reason for our drop off since the Geelong game was a disconnection and a lack of trust in each line.

If the forwards don't put on enough pressure and disrupt the opposition exiting the F50, then the midfielders and defence can't afford to be as aggressive with their zone positioning as opposition teams can kick around our zone much faster than we can push it back.

Similarly, the defenders can only take so many risks if the midfielders aren't running as hard defensively on transition as they are the other way or allowing the opposition to run through the front of the stoppage.

It was good to see that come back a bit yesterday

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2023 Round 23 Wounded Blues Soar Back Into The 8

Back