Autopsy 2023 Round 23 Wounded Blues Soar Back Into The 8

Who played well for the Blues in Round 23 vs the Eagles? *BLUES SUPPORTERS ONLY*

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Still the issue of how we bring it out of defence.

I know we had a couple of fast breaks out of deep defence but our default is basically short into the pocket, hold, hold, hols maybe an extra chip short , hold look, hold hold look, long down the line.

A few times we did look đź‘€ inboard it was not quick and usually got cut off.

Maybe it was the swirling conditions but it’s what we do week after week after week.

if it was by far and away more effective, fair enough, but it seems very 2005-2012 to me, Malthouse-like when most teams appear to be very different.

There is so many players to praise for that effort. Names are coming left, right, and centre.
Another one that didn't stop was owies. Was In everything, I especially remember one 0assage where in tight, he knocked the ball out to our advantage then ran on, got it again and handballs it to a team mate who kicks a goal.
I yelled "your goal Mat"

Like many team mates, he should be proud of his game
remember that one well... i yelled as well

he passed it to Kennedy who goaled

I think he is a really clever player - Im going to miss him if we trade him

I hate to think where this club would be without the big #9.

I reckon it's about the 4th time I've posted that this yr alone, but it seems to just get truer and truer by the week. He's Herculean and will be on Carltons Mt Rushmore (to borrow an Americanism) by the end of his career, if he isn't already.

Last edited:

Yet he runs a faster 2km than Buckley could ever have dreamed of

Elijah's 2km time is 5:54 - Ollie ran this at the combine and Elijah in his last Suns pre-season

Their 2km times are SO impressive that they would be olympic caliber 5km or 1500m runners with much lighter frames.

It would be good to see Elijah strip the puppy fat but I am not concerned one bit
Jess Hull ran 5.19 for 2kms. They would need to improve their times by 10% to compete with female athletes

I will say this, Voss was looking nervous in the first quarter after Waterman kicked the first 2 goals. Was the experiment of putting Kemp forward going to work or should we have gone with Young? Then Kennedy got his goal and then Kemp score and he was looking a little less stressed, but by half time, he knew it was going to work out and he was much more relaxed.

I will say this, Voss was looking nervous in the first quarter after Waterman kicked the first 2 goals. Was the experiment of putting Kemp forward going to work or should we have gone with Young? Then Kennedy got his goal and then Kemp score and he was looking a little less stressed, but by half time, he knew it was going to work out and he was much more relaxed.
He could make life really easy for himself ....just needs to have an open mind

Hes got everything going for him really - only he can **** it up

hes a much loved player afl wide

Hes won 3 premierships

Now head coach of one of the most successful afl clubs in the land

He really is in the box seat

He can have more success...

All he needs to do is open up his mind ...dont be sooo stubborn

He could make life really easy for himself ....just needs to have an open mind

Hes got everything going for him really - only he can **** it up

hes a much loved player afl wide

Hes won 3 premierships

Now head coach of one of the most successful afl clubs in the land

He really is in the box seat

He can have more success...

All he needs to do is open up his mind ...dont be sooo stubborn
đź’Ż % mate exactly

Jess Hull ran 5.19 for 2kms. They would need to improve their times by 10% to compete with female athletes
If Elijah Hollands (listed at 86kg) lost 12kg and weighed as much as Jakob or Kerr (74kg at most) that is a 14% reduction in body weight

VO2 max is a very good predictor in determining athletic performance, if we estimate Elijah’s at 64.5 based on his time trial then his total VO2 would be 64.5 * 86kg = 5547ml

Then divide 5547 by 74 and you’d have a 10 point increase in VO2 max to 74.9

Thats a 16% increase

They are both freak aerobic athletes and I don’t know why it is such a stretch to some to suggest that some of our most gifted runners could qualify as Olympians had they had specificities oriented to said sport (such as reducing their body weight to improve running economy)

Elijah's 2km time is 5:54 - Ollie ran this at the combine and Elijah in his last Suns pre-season

Their 2km times are SO impressive that they would be olympic caliber 5km or 1500m runners with much lighter frames.

It would be good to see Elijah strip the puppy fat but I am not concerned one bit

It’s noted RFI, hopefully Bucks’ words ring through. Hit the gym and get serious = watch out. Over to Elijah to further realise his potential.

Still the issue of how we bring it out of defence.

I know we had a couple of fast breaks out of deep defence but our default is basically short into the pocket, hold, hold, hols maybe an extra chip short , hold look, hold hold look, long down the line.

A few times we did look đź‘€ inboard it was not quick and usually got cut off.

Maybe it was the swirling conditions but it’s what we do week after week after week.

if it was by far and away more effective, fair enough, but it seems very 2005-2012 to me, Malthouse-like when most teams appear to be very different.
Kemp gave us a different look - got the ball to the ground and immediately pressured.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's more to fitness than 2km time. While that's good to have and is a good base, he seems to lack a little power and strength, he doesn't seem to have a lot of "pop" physically. I would certainly like him to have a big pre season, shake the puppy fat and add some power to his makeup. To me that is the next step for him and will put him into the elite players.

Needs to go to the Patty Cripps school of shaking the loose kgs and growing into his man body. If he could get the sprint/power upgrade that Cripps got in 1 off-season the kid could be anything.

Big shoutout to Ollie Hollands. 24 touches at 83% and 7 tackles.

Played his best game for the club. I've been critical of his selection at times but yesterday showed why sometimes persistance pays off with youth.

He's developing beautifully. Reminded me of Kade Simpson in his prime down back yesterday.

There's more to fitness than 2km time. While that's good to have and is a good base, he seems to lack a little power and strength, he doesn't seem to have a lot of "pop" physically. I would certainly like him to have a big pre season, shake the puppy fat and add some power to his makeup. To me that is the next step for him and will put him into the elite players.

Needs to go to the Patty Cripps school of shaking the loose kgs and growing into his man body. If he could get the sprint/power upgrade that Cripps got in 1 off-season the kid could be anything.
This is true, I run a 19:20 5km (probably sub 19 now) and I played a game earlier this year without any conditioning pertaining to AFL and whilst I covered the ground probably better than everyone at the standard I played at I was absolutely cooked by the end

I guess my point is just that aerobically he is elite but you are bang on, there is a lot he could improve on to better himself for sport specific fitness right

But not in any way unusual.

Hogan averages 1.3.
Waterman 1.2.
B. King 0.6.
J. Cameron 1.8.
Georgiades 1.4.
I could go on forever.

Key forwards don't tackle. Competition-wide. Harry averages more tackles per game than any pure key forward in the comp. Sam Darcy and Mabior Chol have him covered by 0.3 tackles per game, but attend 40-50% more centre bounces.

Charlie is on the lower end for a KPF, I'll give you that. But he's got company. Waterman, Daniher, Larkey, King, Allen, Fritsch, Gunston, Naughton, McStay, Lynch, McDonald, Lewis, Taberner - they're all around the same mark (close enough that the difference is negligible).

Think the expectations for our two talls need to be tampered a bit. I'd rather see an increased focus on their up-the-ground work rather than their defensive efforts inside 50. Moving Kemp forward next year would help with that, significantly. One of the three can roam and provide a marking target on the wing, still leaves us with two dangerous targets inside 50.
While I don't disagree, it's worth pointing out that an aerial threat - 4 goals, 3 of them from set shots - who tackles is worth their weight in gold. His success up forward - provided the coaches don't switch him down back purely because Charlie/Harry are available - comes as a consequence of both his goalkicking and his tackling; switch Mots for Fog and put Harry/Charlie in (Harry as relief ruck/forward) and you've a third tall threat worthy of attention and a defensive threat when the opposition have the ball.

Roughly 11 tackles more up forward is nothing to sneeze at.

Great win. Early it looked like we were not going to be able to score from entries and would get beaten on the rebound. Kempy really stepped up. Hopefully a break out game for him

For all the talk of WC being terrible their pressure was high for all of the first half.

Moir's body shape looks to have changed from early in the year. Big preseason and hopefully we will see him as the top 5 pick he was tipped to be before injuries. We need a little more xfactor up forward. Make the decision on Martin pretty easy.

Terrrible luck for Durds after playing with no confidence all year he showed why Austin gave him a 2 yr contract. Needs to watch Daniels/Moore and develop into that type of an impact player. His work leading up at the ball was great.

Should be but I'm nervous given the love for Bont and Daicos externally. All three deserve it, to be fair.

Crippa was possessed in the second quarter - should be AA Captain this year.
I'm more concerned of Neale being gifted another.

Could you imagine Lachie Neale wins a third brownlow... **** me.

I'm more concerned of Neale being gifted another.

Could you imagine Lachie Neale wins a third brownlow... **** me.
Urgh I agree - he must have photos of somebody's dirty antics b/c it just doesn't seem conceivable that he's a two-time Brownlow winner while the likes of Bont (and a few others) have none. He'll be up there but Dunkley and Suitcase have been good this year, too, so hope he falls short as I'd spew seeing him get a third before Crippa gets #2..

In saying all this, I'm sure Crippa would give up everything to lift the cup.

Urgh I agree - he must have photos of somebody's dirty antics b/c it just doesn't seem conceivable that he's a two-time Brownlow winner while the likes of Bont (and a few others) have none. He'll be up there but Dunkley and Suitcase have been good this year, too, so hope he falls short as I'd spew seeing him get a third before Crippa gets #2..

In saying all this, I'm sure Crippa would give up everything to lift the cup.
Thankfully, it all aligns this weekend anyway. We need a big win and need a big game from Crippa. With the cup on the line, Crippa needs another 3 vote game against one of our bogey sides - St Kilda.

While I don't disagree, it's worth pointing out that an aerial threat - 4 goals, 3 of them from set shots - who tackles is worth their weight in gold. His success up forward - provided the coaches don't switch him down back purely because Charlie/Harry are available - comes as a consequence of both his goalkicking and his tackling; switch Mots for Fog and put Harry/Charlie in (Harry as relief ruck/forward) and you've a third tall threat worthy of attention and a defensive threat when the opposition have the ball.

Roughly 11 tackles more up forward is nothing to sneeze at.

Sure, but let's maybe not extrapolate out yesterday's stats with an average over a full season. Harry had 7 tackles against the Tigers back in round one, doesn't mean he's gonna put that up every week.

I'd love to see Kemp remain up forward, but realistically if he's playing as a third tall foil, the benchmark is probably 1.8 tackles a game and it'd be incredible if he could maintain an average anywhere north of 2.5.

That being said, if he plays third tall to Harry and Charlie, I do think he'll need to make tackling one of his consistent contributions. Doesn't need to be posting record numbers, just applying pressure whenever possible and taking the 3-4 chances he might get most weeks. Working out how best to use those three at the same time will be a challenge for the coaches.

Will we now accept that Kemp is NOT a defender

He is natural ball hunter and attacking player. He can be a genuine match winner

Leave him forward this year and develop him as a fwd/mid/winger over off season

He will be a star 🌟

I'm also wondering about Ollie at half back, seemed to work well. Is it a genuine option?

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2023 Round 23 Wounded Blues Soar Back Into The 8

Back