Half-forwards:Sam WalshHarry McKayJack Silvagni
Forwards:Corey DurdinCharlie CurnowJesse Motlop
Followers:Marc PittonetGeorge HewettAdam Cerra
Interchange:Alex CincottaOllie HollandsJosh Honey
Brodie Kemp
Emergencies:Lachie CowanZac FisherLachie Fogarty
Matthew Kennedy

No chance Cottrel plays.
Motlop would be very unlucky not to bump Honey back out.
I don’t know how many times I can say this, but most players need to earn their spots and bang the door down by big performances in the VFL before being selected. That’s one of the ways you build a successful culture.

Last edited:

Whoever has stolen JAB’s account please get out of it. I miss him/her/they.

1. These are the only calls that the MC has to make

a) Motlop for Honey - I reckon 50/50
b) Ed for Kennedy - I reckon 50/50 depending on Kennedy's fitness; and
c) If Kennedy for Ed then Ed V Cottrell as sub

2. The most interesting thing for the Club is the availability of Boyd/Cuningham/Marchbank/Owies and Martin to play VFL

3. We will win this game with this team on Friday night by 3-4 goals.

Newman Weitering Kemp
McGovern Young Saad ( + Cincotta )

Acres Cripps Hollands
Pittonet Hewett Cerra ( + Kennedy /Ed , Docherty ,)

Walsh Harry Jack
Honey/Motlop Charlie Durdin (+ Fisher)

IC: Fisher Docherty Kennedy Cincotta
EM: Ed / Cottrell/Honey

Kennedy V Ed Curnow because Docherty can play defence or midfield or even HFF - which allows for teh inclusion of both Kemp and Cincotta because Docherty's versatility gioves us 8 'defenders' if required. The addition of Kemp bolsters intercept marking game, whilst Cincotta gives a harder edge and greater attacking run than young Cowan.

Midfield is starting to gel now as Pittonet is approaching 100% match fitness as is Hewett. Cerra/Walsh are the link runners to outside - plenty of run on the outside from Hollands and Acres. Fisher might be slowly improving his between the arcs extra linkman role - will have to as Cuningham is the only other potential player who might be given same duties - so pressure will come there - a good thing.

This will be the strongest team we have fielded in ages - and competition for spots is only just beginning.

I'm bullish.

Beware the bias of those that have and will reply to you about this. Essentially he had issues in development with effort defensively and kicking. He's clearly a good enough kick now, his defensive and general running capacity are at the level now. He's had virtually no opportunity the last two years and it's kinda at the point where it's not his fault anymore.

He's just not playing in front of cerra Walsh Hewett Cripps and the big and main knock on his game - he gets lost when playing the secondary positions of a resting mid still. So he's innefective in the f50. So fitting him into rotations is tough.

His vfl form as 'the guy' is fantastic. He gets 30-40 touches and kicks goals most weeks. Lightning hands etc. Just is what it is atm it seems with midfield rotation and mix in the firsts.
Like lipinski at the dogs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No chance Cottrel plays.
Motlop would be very unlucky not to bump Honey back out.
Just finished looking over the game, the first time since watching live on Saturday i know Honey’s stats weren’t jumping of the charts but he actually had his best game so far this season, yes it hasn’t been a high bar with how he has gone so far but he actually positioned himself much better, was more involved in play, application /pressure better and had a couple of clever moments as well as a goal…
I’m inclined to changing my initial thoughts in omitting him with giving him another run hoping he can again improve some more with another run…
At least we seem fortunate this week that we have some good choices if we feel the need for any changes…

Beware the bias of those that have and will reply to you about this. Essentially he had issues in development with effort defensively and kicking. He's clearly a good enough kick now, his defensive and general running capacity are at the level now. He's had virtually no opportunity the last two years and it's kinda at the point where it's not his fault anymore.

He's just not playing in front of cerra Walsh Hewett Cripps and the big and main knock on his game - he gets lost when playing the secondary positions of a resting mid still. So he's innefective in the f50. So fitting him into rotations is tough.

His vfl form as 'the guy' is fantastic. He gets 30-40 touches and kicks goals most weeks. Lightning hands etc. Just is what it is atm it seems with midfield rotation and mix in the firsts.
One of the best summary’s on Dow I have seen. Well put

We match up well.

I think we’ll get them in the midfield - Zorko is a loss they can’t cover.
Neale and Bailey....tag least one
Mc Cluggage..can also lift them.......Lions play tempo and build momentum for sections of quarters,our zone ball can work on them to slow them,defocus
Tough to wear them out tho......Voss will have to connive something
Lions have had Blues pegged way back even when they were also weak cause they play tough and play to exhaustion (can be unwise)

2. The most interesting thing for the Club is the availability of Boyd/Cuningham/Marchbank/Owies and Martin to play VFL

Newman Weitering Kemp

Acres Cripps Hollands

Walsh Harry Jack

Kennedy V Ed Curnow because Docherty can play defence or midfield or even HFF - which allows for teh inclusion of both Kemp and Cincotta because Docherty's versatility gioves us 8 'defenders' if required. The addition of Kemp bolsters intercept marking game, whilst Cincotta gives a harder edge and greater attacking run than young Cowan.

Midfield is starting to gel now as Pittonet is approaching 100% match fitness as is Hewett. Cerra/Walsh are the link runners to outside - plenty of run on the outside from Hollands and Acres. Fisher might be slowly improving his between the arcs extra linkman role - will have to as Cuningham is the only other potential player who might be given same duties - so pressure will come there - a good thing.

This will be the strongest team we have fielded in ages - and competition for spots is only just beginning.

I'm bullish.

AFL Injury list has since been updated, now listing each of them as 2-3 weeks away.

Newman Weitering Kemp

Acres Cripps Hollands

Walsh Harry Jack

I'm bullish.
Love your enthusiasm.
Mine is still curbed.
I am bullish that Motlop repalces Honey 100 per cent because he was never dropped. Therefore he is ahead of Honey on the list. (and in actuality).
In Motlop.
Kennedy sub again because it worked.

Seems last week we had better structure down back with the inclusion of Kemp, Saad and Cinacotta finding his feet nicely at AFL level, allowing Doc to get into the midfield and do some damage...But the Eagles are very average side and i belive if Vossy sticks with the same structure, the Lions will be a good test to see if we how we fair against the better sides that will be making finals this year.....The only change i think, see fit is Motlop for Honey.....Even though i belive Honey did really well last week.....see how Cripps and Walsh do against Neale and Dunkley, with Zorko and Rich out this is a very winable game for us.... we win it in the middle we win the game in my opinion.... Go Blues

Just finished looking over the game, the first time since watching live on Saturday i know Honey’s stats weren’t jumping of the charts but he actually had his best game so far this season, yes it hasn’t been a high bar with how he has gone so far but he actually positioned himself much better, was more involved in play, application /pressure better and had a couple of clever moments as well as a goal…
I’m inclined to changing my initial thoughts in omitting him with giving him another run hoping he can again improve some more with another run…
At least we seem fortunate this week that we have some good choices if we feel the need for any changes…
I was suprised when I checked the stats which show that there is (what I would call) only minor difference between all of Motlop/Durdin and Honey - Motlop's major difference is goals per game slightly better than both Durdin and Honey - Voss is playing like for like - which is consistent with his messaging. Both Motlop and Honey can kick a longer range goal although both don't get tested too much.

I was suprised when I checked the stats which show that there is (what I would call) only minor difference between all of Motlop/Durdin and Honey - Motlop's major difference is goals per game slightly better than both Durdin and Honey - Voss is playing like for like - which is consistent with his messaging. Both Motlop and Honey can kick a longer range goal although both don't get tested too much.
Honey is much quicker and fitter.

Motlop is more dangerous around goal.

If you could combine the two, you'd be Dr Frankenstein.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Honey is much quicker and fitter.

Motlop is more dangerous around goal.

If you could combine the two, you'd be Dr Frankenstein.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app
I was very impressed with Honey's composure when he set up Jack - on the burst most players would have gone the snap - instead he assessed and kicked a perfect little lob over the head of defenders into a chest mark and goal for Jack - his set shot kicking has always been a strong point as is his straight line running speed. I like him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back